• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Tech - Pivot Slide (close to moonwalking)

Super_Zelda_Blade

Smash Cadet
So I was just messing around in the practice room before a friendly match. When I skidded a dash with Ryu, I couldn't help but notice there was a pretty big window where he wasnt in dash animation but was still moving forward. As soon as I noticed, I got right to work, and figured out that this could be done with almost everyone, mind you they all have different distances. I also figured out that if you set your c-stick to tilts, then you can preform a tilt while sliding forward. with Ryu, this means you could essentialy avoid an attack, then pivot slide into a down tilt or up tilt and start a whole combo. Obviously this is more effective with some characters than it is others, but Ryu gains the most out of it. And on another note, you can also preform a standstill grab, making this even more effective than dance trotting in some cases, because if you whiff it, youll have less grab lag to go through. The only problem with this is that some characters tilts (ie. WFT's dtilt & Robins up & down tilts) stop the players momentum when executed, therefore making this tech impossible. Also, some characters like Roy & Marth have extremely long skid animations, making the tech easier to read & punish, as theres a lot more reaction time compared to characters like Ryu & DK. I'll be progressing my research on the subject, as i believe this tech could be very well implimented under the right circumstances. So with all that out of the way, I implore you to impliment this tech and spread it around, as I believe that with enough work, this could put the whole competitive scene on its head. And of course, how could you take my word if you didnt have video proof? So here you go. The tech in action kinda (sorry for potato qualtity. im only 14, and dont have a lot of money to invest into capturing equipment):

-ZeldaBlade

*EDIT: turns out im apparently 100% wrong about this being new. sorry for my stupidity.

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
2 questions, #1 isn't this a well known tech? I know with Kirby you can turn around like in the video and do a sliding down smash or D-Tilt if you tjme time it with the squeaking of shoes. And #2 moon walking has a completely different look and function(to an extent) for example, you'd normally moon walk offstage to get off a bair or Dair well carrying the momentum. Either way, nice that someone brought this back up(it looks really useful for ryu.

Super_Zelda_Blade

Smash Cadet
2 questions, #1 isn't this a well known tech? I know with Kirby you can turn around like in the video and do a sliding down smash or D-Tilt if you tjme time it with the squeaking of shoes. And #2 moon walking has a completely different look and function(to an extent) for example, you'd normally moon walk offstage to get off a bair or Dair well carrying the momentum. Either way, nice that someone brought this back up(it looks really useful for ryu.
i personally have never heard of it and couldnt find it with research, so hey, i guess its a revival :/ and im still kind of a noob to melee, so all i knew was that they both involved sliding XD

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
i personally have never heard of it and couldnt find it with research, so hey, i guess its a revival :/ and im still kind of a noob to melee, so all i knew was that they both involved sliding XD
Ya I might of used "well known" a bit loosely XD. Either way I remember when I was writing up a Kirby AT thread I included this. Either way good stuff man.

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
You didn't do much research did you lol... if you had, you would at least know that there is a sticky devoted to ATs.

LightLV

Smash Ace
i'm seeing the dash turnaround animation, and thus this is already not a good tech. Punishable on reaction to anyone with a decent dash attack.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
An important point is that letting go of the Control Stick after you start moving in the opposite direction lets you slide while effectively in the neutral position, allowing you to move forward while doing things like shield, standing grab, or another dash in the opposite direction.

Super_Zelda_Blade

Smash Cadet
An important point is that letting go of the Control Stick after you start moving in the opposite direction lets you slide while effectively in the neutral position, allowing you to move forward while doing things like shield, standing grab, or another dash in the opposite direction.

thats pretty much what i was going for, yeah

Top Bottom