• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Tech! - Need your help!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
So I found a new tech that could help mega's game out a lot, I call it the Insta MB catch. Basically it is a thrown backwards metal blade (in the air) that you catch almost instantly. It is an extremely quick way to get MB in hand.

here is a video showing me doing it.

Now the problem... I have only done it 3 times and have no idea how I did it. I think i moved the control stick from down/forward to back very quickly but i'm not sure

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
This is the first time I have saved the video.

After watching it some more I am thinking that you must have to throw the Mb at the right time for it to follow your down at the same rate. Maybe?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I think you're right. Next time I play I'll fiddle with this. :) It does have potential to be useful, I think!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think it would be most useful when you are retreating back and away from your opponent and need a metal blade in hand.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I can't figure it out, unfortunately. I feel like a fast fall is needed to match the blade's speed enough to catch it mid air like you did...But I couldn't replicate it.

You claim it's a backwards throw, but backward throws have a different animation. So... I'm le confused, haha.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
You're right I didn't notice that earlier. It has the foreward throw animation but it is clearly being thrown backwards.

I think somehow I am throwing it down and at the right moment switching to back down? I believe the down throw uses the foreward throw animation.

Since it is using the foreward throw animation the blade comes from a spot further foreward allowing it to be caught!

Teshie U

Smash Lord
@ Zori Zori might know something about this. I remember figuring out how to do this a while back, we call it "the 9th angle".

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I could be wrong, but it looks like you just threw it down>back then followed it. Downwards tosses all use the forward throw animation regardless of direction if I remember correctly.

That said I stopped being a MM main a while back, so I could be wrong. Looks really useful though!

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Yeah, I dunno if you should call this a new tech. It's not much different from a down thrown MB catch. There isn't anything instant about it either : /

Zori

Smash Champion
It's not new tech exactly but I still don't know how to do this consistently. This is way different than just throwing it diagonal because the metal blade is actually following mega man making him a aerial hit box

I believe is works by full hopping and fast falling while thowing the metal blade diagonal at the sane time. I got it a lot more with that in mind

Teshie U

Smash Lord
It's not new tech exactly but I still don't know how to do this consistently. This is way different than just throwing it diagonal because the metal blade is actually following mega man making him a aerial hit box

I believe is works by full hopping and fast falling while thowing the metal blade diagonal at the sane time. I got it a lot more with that in mind
Lucy thought this was cool, but I honestly think its more useful to have the metal blade leading the charge wherever you go, not overlapping.

It was definitely just fast falling at a certain timing.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I could be wrong, but it looks like you just threw it down>back then followed it. Downwards tosses all use the forward throw animation regardless of direction if I remember correctly.

That said I stopped being a MM main a while back, so I could be wrong. Looks really useful though!

The downward back throw uses the backwards throw animation (where his arm goes back behind him), so this is throwing it backwards down while somehow getting it to do the forward throw animation.

Lucy thought this was cool, but I honestly think its more useful to have the metal blade leading the charge wherever you go, not overlapping.

It was definitely just fast falling at a certain timing.
So no this is not just a back down thrown fast fall catch, this is something completely different.

Last edited:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
I understand how it works, but I can't replicate it.

The thing is, when the forward animation happens, the MB generates in front of MM instead of in his back, so it's extra speed gets balanced out by being closer to us in the end of the animation.

But HOW do you get the animation to happen? I can't seem to get it right, so I've got no clue

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
I can do it quite consistently with little time spent... Not exactly sure what the formula is, I feel like I'm nearer to down than down back and I am trying to slide it slightly as if I'm coaxing out the different throw animation...

If I can figure it out I'll make a video.

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
https://youtu.be/3aaXsEgP-Qo (~9s, 18s in)

Yeh it's pretty easy to get the feel of it, I do a little flick towards where it feels like he's throwing it through his legs.

I think it's just a case of getting the startup frames on a normal throw and then manipulating the direction correctly.

Trying to showcase throwing diagonally into insta toss as basically I see the options being retreating MB to hand or retreating MB -> insta throw around landing height. DICTIT too I guess.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Nice dude!

Now mega not only does the behind the back Mb throw he also does through the legs XD.

Mega is a tru baller lol

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
Nice dude!

Now mega not only does the behind the back Mb throw he also does through the legs XD.

Mega is a tru baller lol
Good work to you, posted to r/megamanmains and credited you properly in video. Hopefully if it's not just me recording and labbing it'll get fully elucidated sooner!

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
People have always been doing this with the raw down toss, but diagonal in as seen for example here might actually be better since the length of travel is deteriorated more compared to raw down.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
https://youtu.be/3aaXsEgP-Qo (~9s, 18s in)

Yeh it's pretty easy to get the feel of it, I do a little flick towards where it feels like he's throwing it through his legs.

I think it's just a case of getting the startup frames on a normal throw and then manipulating the direction correctly.

Trying to showcase throwing diagonally into insta toss as basically I see the options being retreating MB to hand or retreating MB -> insta throw around landing height. DICTIT too I guess.
Nice video. It seems you'd need to get it frame perfect without accidentally b-versing or tossing backwards. I gotta practice this being the expert on DITCIT, I'm willing to experiment. I'm betting the time it takes to pick it up, is the time it takes for Link to do the same, except only better since you could catch it with an attack. I've always knew this diagonal-in raw toss was a thing, but have yet to realize the potential it may have since I never experimented. (plus it was always tough for me to pull.) This could be a new thing for me... though I've been trying to get metal blade repossession with aerials for combos being that z-dropping is 1-frame and metal blade being the most persistent item in the game. (I'm trying to build on a playstyle based on z-dropping.) I'll try to work on both. but for now the raw diagonal toss looks a lot easier and could be more helpful than I currently think.

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
Nice video. It seems you'd need to get it frame perfect without accidentally b-versing or tossing backwards. I gotta practice this being the expert on DITCIT, I'm willing to experiment. I'm betting the time it takes to pick it up, is the time it takes for Link to do the same, except only better since you could catch it with an attack. I've always knew this diagonal-in raw toss was a thing, but have yet to realize the potential it may have since I never experimented. (plus it was always tough for me to pull.) This could be a new thing for me... though I've been trying to get metal blade repossession with aerials for combos being that z-dropping is 1-frame and metal blade being the most persistent item in the game. (I'm trying to build on a playstyle based on z-dropping.) I'll try to work on both. but for now the raw diagonal toss looks a lot easier and could be more helpful than I currently think.
Figure out exactly how the forward DICTIT works and tell me I can't get it consistently on the GC controller and the info about it is just too muddy atm.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Do you return stick to neutral before flicking it? On a scale of 1 to 10 how long after inputting special do you hit down? With a 1 being ASAP after special, and 10 being the absolute latest possible and not get a forward throw.

Hrmphh seems tough for me so far

Last edited:

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
I'm not able to play about with it atm, but basically I am pressing directional inputs as late as possible, it feels like it moves exactly as my directional stick is telling it to pretty much as it happens.

Go in training mode, normal speed, stand at the edge so you don't waste time. Then DJ and press special and then aim it. Try to work backwards. It's likely a timing thing as much as it is a case of any directional trickery, I think it's basically the last frame(s) you can aim with the MB.

Alternatively, I guess maybe it's cancelling a dthrow into a diagonal bthrow, in which case again... The timing really matches up to telling the game you're throwing it normally, then last second tricking it into throwing it the way you want.

Hope this helps!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I haven't been able to do it consistently either.

I believe it is this.

Down throw MB

After it locks in the down thrown MB slide to back down diagonal.

Not sure on the timing it seems to be very strict though, I haven't been able to recreate it on purpose.

Top Bottom