• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New tech? { Deconfirmed }

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694

Hi Smashboards, a few days ago I was playing this For Glory match against a Little Mac, and managed to pull of the above posted movement. The sad part is, I'm unsure of the exact button combination used to execute it. The only thing I'm sure of is that it involved at least one roll input before / after the down smash. If anyone has ever seen something like this done, or could point me in the right direction for finding out how it was done, I would be really grateful.

( If this is old news, I apologize. I've looked a fair bit and couldn't find any previous info on the subject )

Last edited by a moderator:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Speechless.
Yeah... Truth be told, it's kinda the reason I joined smashboards. I'm fairly confident it isn't some sort of error in For Glory, because I did it twice ( kicking myself for not recording both ).

What the ****

What the **** this is really awesome. This needs to be figured out ASAP holy ****

OidBirdie

Smash Cadet
Wow. Pleease be a universal tech. Doubt it though, based on the lingering galaxy thingy

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
What the ****

What the **** this is really awesome. This needs to be figured out ASAP holy ****
It's incredibly unfun to do this twice in a row in For Glory, then go into training and not be able to repeat it.

I'm also considering it might be two techs; seeing as I not only fly to the side, but also do it in the middle of a down smash. It might be some sort of buffered roll shenanigans, but your guess is as good as mine.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

If this is Rosaluma only I'mma be mad as **** but if this is universal and actually useful then I'm laughing all the way to the bank. TO THE LAB!

Last edited:
Well for starters it looks like the movement begins after DSmash connects, during/after the hitlag. Idk if the fact that Luma is incapacitated has anything to do with it. It's in hitstun in this video. Do you remember if that was the case the other time?

It might also have been some input on the victim's side, but looking at Little Mac in the video nothing seems immediately evident.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Mac hits Luma during your roll start up in a way that seems to have the centered "hit" closer to Rosalina than Luma (could be coincidental non-incidental), then you seem to down smash and back roll at the same time afterwards.

Seeing as we have a few roll cancel shenanigans going in this game, who knows.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

If this is Rosaluma only I'mma be mad as **** but if this is universal I'm laughing all the way to the bank. TO THE LAB!
It pains me to admit it, but if it helps your science, you should know I was...spamming, or rather pressing all of my options simultaneously. I wouldn't be shocked if this required multiple simultaneous inputs to work.

Mac hits Luma during your roll start up in a way that seems to have the centered "hit" closer to Rosalina than Luma (could be coincidental non-incidental), then you seem to down smash and back roll at the same time afterwards.
Seeing as we have a few roll cancel shenanigans going in this game, who knows.
Yeah, I looked into roll canceled grabs, but it's doesn't feel like it would be the same thing. As for the Luma hitstun, it's something really tough to test in training mode. Not to mention there's no mechanic where Rosalina tethers to the Luma. Anyway, I'm done posting, I'll leave this in your capable hands Smashboards.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Wait. Were both of the times you did it vs a Little Mac? The flash on the screen, I think that's the KO punch. There's some weird wind box type thing with that move that I've experienced before... it could be that.

Rosalina's actions are completely independent of Luma though, its the other way around. So I doubt that Luma being hit was the reason for it. Also Luma was hit during the first roll, and DSmash was initiated well after that.

Inputting roll a few frames before and during hitlag doesn't do anything.

What Locke said might have something to do with it. If it was a KO punch then you could have hit them before the hitbox came out but after the windbox.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Roll canceled d-smash? RCD? bah, doesn't sound as cool as RAR or DACUS

But would be sweet if it existed. More options yay!

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Wait. Were both of the times you did it vs a Little Mac? The flash on the screen, I think that's the KO punch. There's some weird wind box type thing with that move that I've experienced before... it could be that.
Well yes, but I find it unlikely that I knocked Mac out of a KO punch twice, both times with a down smash, and also executing this roll shenanigans.

Edit: I'll check the replay again, and find out if he had a punch ready.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If both instances of you performing this involved Mac's KO punch being up (you have the replay right? Check it) and it disappearing afterwards, that is likely it.

Pretty sure that was a dtilt from the Mac.
It was.

Also the initial VFX of KO Punch do indeed seem to appear in the video. Pretty suspicious imo

If both instances of you performing this involved Mac's KO punch being up (you have the replay right? Check it) and it disappearing afterwards, that is likely it.
KO Punch goes away if Mac gets knocked into a tumble. So I guess if it went away before KB was applied then it would definitely be it.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Pretty sure that was a dtilt from the Mac.
Dtilt --> KO punch is a common hit-confirm type combo from Mac's to land the KO punch. Since the dtilt hit something, I imagine they unleashed the KO punch out of habit (which, is why there's a flash on the screen before he gets hit).
Well yes, but I find it unlikely that I knocked Mac out of a KO punch twice, both times with a down smash, and also executing this roll shenanigans.
Your guess is as good as mine, then.

Spirst

Could be likely too as dtilt-KO punch is a fairly common setup.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Just checked the replay and he did have the punch ready. Which makes me a little sad that this possibly won't be something you can use anywhere. I'm still not sure how that explains it entirely though. Even if there was a windbox, that doesn't explain rolling in the middle of a downsmash. Hell, the animation of the slide didn't even include Rosalina disappearing like her normal forward roll.

So then it seems most likely that the slide isn't from a roll, but from the windbox instead. Roll inputs probably never went through.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You weren't rolling, you were clearly being moved by a windbox while executing your full dsmash animation.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So then it seems most likely that the slide isn't from a roll, but from the windbox instead. Roll inputs probably never went through.
Do we know there's a windbox on Mac's KO punch/what it is? I've had a couple games where weird stuff happens with it whiffing, but I've never seen actual analysis of it.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Aw...Well, I might not have discovered a new tech, but I can sleep well knowing this Little Mac was thoroughly humiliated in an explosive fashion.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Do we know there's a windbox on Mac's KO punch/what it is? I've had a couple games where weird stuff happens with it whiffing, but I've never seen actual analysis of it.
Almost positive there's a windbox, but I've never seen it grab someone behind him.
Entirely possible that it was just because her foot from Dsmash ended up just in front of him and got pulled or something, but it looks a bit strange to me...

Seconding a request for full analysis of this move, unless it's been done already

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Almost positive there's a windbox, but I've never seen it grab someone behind him.
Entirely possible that it was just because her foot from Dsmash ended up just in front of him and got pulled or something, but it looks a bit strange to me...

Seconding a request for full analysis of this move, unless it's been done already
Third...ing that request.
Aw...Well, I might not have discovered a new tech, but I can sleep well knowing this Little Mac was thoroughly humiliated in an explosive fashion.
You get a gold star in my book whether or not this is a tech or not. Also to have the presence of mind to Fsmash after something ridiculous like that happened? Screw the gold star, you get a platinum star.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Third...ing that request.

You get a gold star in my book whether or not this is a tech or not. Also to have the presence of mind to Fsmash after something ridiculous like that happened? Screw the gold star, you get a platinum star.
When life hands you lemons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom