• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new tactic found with falco! (works on almost call chars)*updated*

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
(sorry if already found)
i was messing around in training working on some technical stuff, and i noticed that most characters dont die from the normal chainspike. Since i was practicing on a DDD, i decided to try something. When i got to the end of the level where you usually would spike after a downthrow, i would down throw, jump out and neutral air, use your second jump than spike. i tried it with one of my friends, and with bigger, heavier characters, it can be done with almost no chance of the character air dodging or doing an attack. Im not sure if it will work on smaller chars (the times i tested it i could never get the Nair to land) but im sure its possible. if someone could confirm this, so that i know my friend is not DI ing wrong or something, please do. Ill post a vid soon to show exactly what i mean, becuase i kno i gave a pretty vague explanation.

with some testing, i have found that this technique will work on every character except for kirby, jigglypuff, and ice climbers, some better than others, and of course there are certain percentages that it has to be done by. characeters who cant be chain grabbed will have to be grabbed and down threw at the edge to get the nair while they are off the level, and on some characters, this added nair looks like its the difference between killing the opponent, and just spiking them and they recover. I believe this could be a huge part of falcos game, if incorporated correctly.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
When i got to the end of the level where you usually would spike after a downthrow, i would down throw, jump out and neutral air, use your second jump than spike. i tried it with one of my friends, and with bigger, heavier characters, it can be done with almost no chance of the character air dodging or doing an attack. Im not sure if it will work on smaller chars (the times i tested it i could never get the Nair to land) but im sure its possible.
I think this is a neat tool for using on larger characters, but I don't believe it's inescapable. If they DI away from the level, they can escape the spike portion pretty well. I've not tested it on DDD, so perhaps you are correct about him. I'll test some more to see if it's me making the mistakes, but I don't think so.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Sounds interesting indeed, even if the Dair misses you can just get back to the stage, while they are still offstage and maybe do something from there. Ill have to start messing with that a little bit.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
ill record it today. Im gonna be with my dad, but tonight ill be with some friends and ill record some real games and post it tonight

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Sounds cool, I wonder if fair would work too. Probably not because it has an ending knockback, but I think it's worth testing as well.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
i was trying the fair last night and there was no luck.
either the opponent was knocked back to far and i couldnt get the Dair to hit due to the hit lag ending, or the fair has to much lag. but the nair seems perfect. Almost no lag, and if done at the right percentage, your opponent wont be able to airdodge cuz he will still be in the knockback animation

has anyone else tried this and had some luck?

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing it quite a bit now, but for me it hasn't been inescapable. It has been working better at lower percentages, so this might be ideal for when you have them at the edge at 20-30%.

The fair works pretty well out of a chaingrab on characters that don't have good horizontal recovery. The horizontal knockback puts them at a disadvantage, just be aware that Falco's ^B is balls and you might get ledgehogged if you aren't careful.

Looking forward to the video to see how you are managing it. Good stuff.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing it quite a bit now, but for me it hasn't been inescapable. It has been working better at lower percentages, so this might be ideal for when you have them at the edge at 20-30%.
thats kind of strange because for me its been working better at higher percentages, around 50-60

maybe there is something different that you are doing
ill post the vid tonight and well compare it

Binx

Smash Master
Something easier and more consistent is to just drill them and DI yourself off the stage and footstool before they can second jump, this will get them even lower were most characters can't recover and it puts you back on the stage, also if you time it wrong you are still double jumping back towards safety anyways.

hurricane22491

Smash Cadet
I've been doing this fairly often against big and/or heavy characters but you have to keep a close eye on the percent they have as well as their DI.

It can be useful, but it's also not inescapable from my experience.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
i think the reason it works is because as soon as the nair is hit, i think most people instinctively di towards level, making it easy to get a spike. but even if they do di away, you still have them off the edge. Not the best place for them to be so why not do it?

Top Bottom