• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sonic advanced technique: the "Instant Spin Dash Jump"

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
But it's literally a Spin Dash Jump that travels at the arc of a Spin Dash Jump after doing a Spin Dash Roll, but skips the Spin Dash Roll step. It can't be done out of Spin Charge either, so it's a Spin Dash specific.

Also, I thought this was stuff we all already knew?

Spin Hop I think would get confusing since that sounds like it's referring to the little hop a Spin Dash does, like when we say Spin Dash Hop.

:093:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
does it make a difference when you use it in the initial dash frames or the full on dash?

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if you really can't but I never could and sure stopped trying now and only do it in later frames.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I never actually tried it. The timing is so strict unlike Spinshot that hitting A after B is way easier imo.

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
Just call it ISJ, spin charge can do this too and you don't need to run. It's more easy to do (just wait the moment when appears the spikes and press A) also can be done running (but you lost the momentum) it will work like a mindgame...

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just call it ISJ, spin charge can do this too and you don't need to run. It's more easy to do (just wait the moment when appears the spikes and press A) also can be done running (but you lost the momentum) it will work like a mindgame...
You're right, to an extent.

The thing is though, ISDJ can be done mid-run. Maybe ISCJ could be done mid-run, but it's way more work.
ISCJ variant can be done in place, unlike ISDJ, which is also interesting.

But at the end of the day, you're technically still getting an ISJ so...
Maybe ISJ will be what we call a lazy spinshot?

I'm almost done with my ISDJ video, so be tuned. Definitely crediting OP.

I think now that I will have a Spinshot and an ISDJ video, I will make another video called "These are not Spinshot or ISDJ" and basically explain ISJ, which is easily done out of Down-B instead of Side-B.

ISCJ variant of ISJ can be done standing still, but then there's a different thing that you can do mid-run that gives the inital Spin Charge... Charge, a slide, which I'm not sure is worth naming... But basically I will cover the ISJ that's done out of Spin Charge in a different video.

After this Triforce of spin tech videos are complete, I will be able to rain down upon those who incorrectly call things a Spinshot >:|

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
But, but... I discovered it first :(

http://smashboards.com/threads/his-...d-updated-9-14-14.366545/page-8#post-17733604

Granted, I think I didn't actually bother trying to discover how it was performed, though..
Yes, I figured there are multiple people to credit on this. People accidentally coming across it, only knowing part of the factors, etc.

This thread was the first to explain it in detail and demonstrate it, which is why I will probably give main credit to this. I can credit you as well, but I think there may have even been another person aware of it? idk, it gets confusing. I was going to do a general generic credit to Sonic boards as well, lol.

Also, does anyone have a replay saved of themselves doing a reverse ISDJ? It's driving me nuts. I'll credit you in the video. I'm going to try again tonight to see if I can get it myself.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
reverse ISDJ's are arguably the hardest AT to do for sonic imo. But the tactical advantage it would give a sonic player in MUs that require you to be very mobile is well worth using it. Sadly i can only to it about 25% of the time and that only when practicing it. I've yet to apply it to an actual match due to simply having lack of confidence in my execution.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
reverse ISDJ's are arguably the hardest AT to do for sonic imo. But the tactical advantage it would give a sonic player in MUs that require you to be very mobile is well worth using it. Sadly i can only to it about 25% of the time and that only when practicing it. I've yet to apply it to an actual match due to simply having lack of confidence in my execution.
ISDJ itself is near frame perfect, so the step of reversing it somehow makes it even more of a headache.

I think regular ISDJ is completely reasonable to master. Difficult, but possible and definitely worthwhile.

This reverse nonsense is brutal though. I might just make a note of it in the video and not demonstrate it because like, ****.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
If i had a capture card of some type of would record footage of doing it but sadly i don't. Basically you have to do a B reversed spin dash in order to do it but the problem is sometimes you'll end up getting just a normal turnaround side B instead. through doing both these you can either do a sliding boost grab or a pivot shield grab. So many technical things that sonic has from his side B that i simply dont use :/. Though i do wish platform canceling was still in the game.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If i had a capture card of some type of would record footage of doing it but sadly i don't.
I do.

If you have a replay, we can add each other's NNID and share replays.
Basically you have to do a B reversed spin dash in order to do it but the problem is sometimes you'll end up getting just a normal turnaround side B instead. through doing both these you can either do a sliding boost grab or a pivot shield grab. So many technical things that sonic has from his side B that i simply dont use :/
Truth.
Though i do wish platform canceling was still in the game.
We sorta can?

Orochi found a thing.

I tried it for myself, but I'm not consistent at it yet.

You jump off a Spring and Dair cancel on the highest BF platform.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Okay, we need to establish what is a reverse ISDJ and what is a turnaround ISDJ.

To my understanding, reverse is running to the right and then ISDJ to the left. Turnaround ISDJ is running to the right then ISDJ to the right while facing left, but I dunno.

You jump off a Spring and Dair cancel on the highest BF platform.

Works on any platform on BF actually.

Not that it makes it any more useful, though.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Okay, we need to stablish what is a reverse ISDJ and what is a turnaround ISDJ.

To my understanding, reverse is running to the right and then ISDJ to the left. Turnaround ISDJ is running to the right then ISDJ to the right while facing left, but I dunno.
That's what I was thinking.

I hate Sonic sometimes.

I wasn't able to do either in my last recording session. Both would be great to show.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
turnaround ISDJ's are pretty easy for me to do though mostly because i do them by mistake when i mess up doing a reverse ISDJ. And i can try to send you a replay with me doing reverse and turnaround ISDJ's later within the week i guess.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'll keep trying on my own, as I was hoping to be able to release the video by the end of the week.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Though Orochi do you know when that video on BSBS is gonna be done?

Not gonna lie i hope we can get peoples awareness up on this so that it can maybe be fixed

Last edited:

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
btw, I think I have the record of the spring to Dair plataform thing... (lower and higher plataform) if you want @ Camalange Camalange
also, the ISJ with the SC lose just a bit of momentum (cuz the SC doesn't move while charging)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
btw, I think I have the record of the spring to Dair plataform thing... (lower and higher plataform) if you want @ Camalange Camalange
Oh, does it work on the lower platform? I got it on the top platform, so I'll try it out myself. Maybe other maps will work too? If so, this tech is definitely worth researching more.

If I can't get it to work on the lower platform, I'll ask for the replay. For now I think I'm fine. Thanks though!
also, the ISJ with the SC lose just a bit of momentum (cuz the SC doesn't move while charging)
Yes, which is also why I don't want to cover it in the ISDJ video. I think there's enough different to warrant a separate explanation.

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
Oh, does it work on the lower platform? I got it on the top platform, so I'll try it out myself. Maybe other maps will work too? If so, this tech is definitely worth researching more.

If I can't get it to work on the lower platform, I'll ask for the replay. For now I think I'm fine. Thanks though!

Yes, which is also why I don't want to cover it in the ISDJ video. I think there's enough different to warrant a separate explanation.

Yes, it works (is more tricky too) so I'm pretty sure it works in any plataform (no remember if I try it on smashville or similar).
Cool, if you want the replay, just let me know!
Well, a specific explanation will be better (Y)

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
the only issue with this platform technique is that it requires us to have a spring in place beforehand and the penalty for messing up is heavy given dair's landing lag

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
the only issue with this platform technique is that it requires us to have a spring in place beforehand and the penalty for messing up is heavy given dair's landing lag
True, but if it's done quickly, Dair to the spring cuz in case you miss, you can bounce on the spring...but it still, is a bit hard

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is there literally any recording of reverse ISDJ?

I pulled off turn around ISDJ a few times but not a single reverse...

halp

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i'm starting to believe that reverse ISDJ is done through the same way you would input a wave bounce'd side B where as the turnaround ISDJ is a b reversed one.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
After like an hour I finally got it. Holy ****. Couldn't believe my eyes.
i'm starting to believe that reverse ISDJ is done through the same way you would input a wave bounce'd side B where as the turnaround ISDJ is a b reversed one.
So maybe we should be calling them Reverse ISDJ and Wave Bounce ISDJ?

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I'd prefer "Instant Spin Dash Retreat" and "Fancy Spin Dash Jump", but that's just me wanting to contribute to the stupid names we've given most of our ATs so far.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My verdict:
The two examples I have are turnaround ISDJ and B-Reverse ISDJ.

Boom.

I think I'm right, but if the video comes out and I'm wrong, it still probably doesn't matter anyway. lol

EDIT: The video is here!

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Trying to pick up sonic, God damn these techs are bananas.

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
It's not so hard doing it once you get the timing for it. Just try to go for it every time you think you can use it in friendlies, and make a quota to perform it successfully 5-15 times in a row in training mode. Don't focus too hard on it though, focus on all the things you normally do and how to improve upon them. Eventually it'll just become instinct rather than mental effort.

Top Bottom