• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW Sheik Edgeguard Tech?

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Here is an edgeguard thingy I found a while back while screwing around with Sheik on FD. It also works on the following tournament legal stages (not including old ones from previous formats)...
Final Destination, Battlefield, Duck Hunt, & Dream Land 64.

Okay so here's the input in words. Run off-stage then immediately after running off the edge do a b reverse needle, shield cancel this into bouncing fish (if you don't know how to do any of this yet hopefully it'll be more clear in the visual description), then you'll bounce off the stage and if you hold down you won't grab the ledge. This is what we want in this case for a edgeguard. Now you just have to position yourself accordingly for the second hit of bouncing fish to get your edgeguard.

Here are the visual inputs put to my best ability in pictures. These happen RIGHT after running off-stage. Starting with...

:GCB: > :GCR: (if running off the left side of the stage) / :GCB: > :GCL: (if running off the right side of the stage)

:GCRT:
> :GCD: + :GCB:

For clarification, > means the input is done right after the input before was executed. And + means the inputs are done as one.

So yeah, that's the edgeguard tech I came up with quite some time ago. I've just never gotten to laying it out for a post because I never remembered to lol. What do you guys think? Will it be something you will integrate into your gameplay? Do you have better methods of doing this? Do you find it too risky because of the potential SD from side B? Let me know below! I'd love to hear your feedback.

Lastly, one note to this tech. It can be used for a quicker ledge trump if timed correctly against recoveries without dangerous hitboxes. All you gotta do it not hold down after the bouncing fish to snap to the ledge. Personally I think it's better to just go for the possible KO by bouncing fish, but hey its just a possibility. :p

Last edited:

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
This sounds a bit like a fancy version of this.
It's much more effective to just dash offstage then reverse BF back into it, but this does look cooler for sure :p
This isn't really a new tech per se, just a new application for an existing tech.

Last edited:

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
This sounds a bit like a fancy version of this.
It's much more effective to just dash offstage then reverse BF back into it, but this does look cooler for sure :p
This isn't really a new tech per se, just a new application for an existing tech.
True, but it is also faster. There are 20 frames (iirc) before you can act once you grab the ledge (RIP ledgetrump BF), so this shaves off a lot of time.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323

This with B-reverse Beforehand? I woudn't exactly call this new, but still. ^ says it all.

Btw, "b reverse needle, shield cancel this into bouncing fish " we call the "shield cancel in this situation a "fidget" to avoid confusion.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
So running off then doing a reverse bouncing fish is quicker?

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608

This with B-reverse Beforehand? I woudn't exactly call this new, but still. ^ says it all.

Btw, "b reverse needle, shield cancel this into bouncing fish " we call the "shield cancel in this situation a "fidget" to avoid confusion.
I didn't want to call it a fidget just in case people wouldn't understand that.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345

Is that a needle glide? I can't really tell, but that was patched out months ago. Is this an old gif?

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I don't think so then. What I'm describing is where you start charging needles after you've already ran off-stage.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Is that a needle glide? I can't really tell, but that was patched out months ago. Is this an old gif?
yes it's a needle glide, and yes it's old

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I don't think so then. What I'm describing is where you start charging needles after you've already ran off-stage.
he was asking if what was done IN THE GIF is a needle slide, not what you described. what you described is simply cancelling needle charge.

S Shuckle_SSB BASICALLY what you described can very easily be done by just running off and hitting the wall with a bouncing fish. you don't need to do any needle shenanigans. You're overly complicating things, and what Moose said was aimed towards wasserwipf and not you.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I didn't know what gif he was talking about because I don't see one anywhere lol.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I just saw the GIF. It for some reason was not available to view on my school computer.
Well, what was shown in the GIF isn't exactly what I explained. It is, but without the b reverse. With the b reverse you'd be much more tucked into the stage, allowing for a BF closer to characters recovering vertically.
But yeah, you could always just do a reverse BF if you're just trying to go deep and hit with BF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom