• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW SAMUS TECHNIQUE, 2nd SPIKE!!!

Litt

Samus
if there was a green flash west didn't tech it
the debate is if the spike was caused by the spike in the up b hitboxes or west sdi out of the up b and hitting the wall not teching while still in hitstun from the up b then falling

tauKhan

Smash Lord
only way to know that is to ask westballz if he sdied...
SDI is very easy to spot in a vid, especially if you watch it in 1/4 speed. I examined the scenario closely, and found out weston was in hitlag basically next to wall after getting hit by a hitbox that sent him towards the wall. It is possible that he ASDI'd toward the wall, but I think he would've collided into it regardless. He certainly wouldn't have got out of the upb had he not colllided though.

the debate is if the spike was caused by the spike in the up b hitboxes or west sdi out of the up b and hitting the wall not teching while still in hitstun from the up b then falling
Aerial upb doesn't even have hitboxes that spike, and the stage spike is very clearly visible in the video.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
SDI is very easy to spot in a vid, especially if you watch it in 1/4 speed. I examined the scenario closely, and found out weston was in hitlag basically next to wall after getting hit by a hitbox that sent him towards the wall. It is possible that he ASDI'd toward the wall, but I think he would've collided into it regardless. He certainly wouldn't have got out of the upb had he not colllided though.

Aerial upb doesn't even have hitboxes that spike, and the stage spike is very clearly visible in the video.
BRUHHH.... "It is possible that he ASDI'd toward the wall, but I think he would've collided into it regardless. He certainly wouldn't have got out of the upb had he not collided though." It would have been possible to sdi down and away to not have collided with the wall, there is no PROOF weston did SDi just that it is easy to spot despite no consistency in responses among us.... SO NO HE WOULD NOT HAVE COLLIDED REGARDLESS... AND YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF THE UP B WITHOUT COLLIDING (tho colliding is the best option as a result of teching.) TauKhan, you really like to be right, moreso than me... but almost every time before now has been backed up with frame data or fact. This time is just flat out your opinion and you are wrong.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Actually, Westballz couldn't have A/SDI'd the upb at all, since the set was played on NTSC 1.0 . Hilarious that I didn't realize it during my first analysis.

Proof: wb got hit twice at 07:01:98 and 07:01:94. Yet his character moved and rotated between the hits and also at 07:01:91. This wouldn't be possible in the later versions, where there's 3 frames of hitlag on each hit. The movement doesn't really match up to the length of sdi either, and wb also wouldn't have rotated if the movement was due to sdi. Also just doing the sdi inputs would've been kinda miraculous. I also checked other upb's in the vid to make sure.

It would have been possible to sdi down and away to not have collided with the wall
Possibly if the set was on other version, but down and away sdi would've been visible in the vid. What I meant was that I thought weston certainly didn't di in a way which would've got out of the upb had there not been a wall there.

This time is just flat out your opinion and you are wrong.
The vid is the evidence that backs my claims.

Litt

Samus
Actually, Westballz couldn't have A/SDI'd the upb at all, since the set was played on NTSC 1.0 . Hilarious that I didn't realize it during my first analysis.

Proof: wb got hit twice at 07:01:98 and 07:01:94. Yet his character moved and rotated between the hits and also at 07:01:91. This wouldn't be possible in the later versions, where there's 3 frames of hitlag on each hit. The movement doesn't really match up to the length of sdi either, and wb also wouldn't have rotated if the movement was due to sdi. Also just doing the sdi inputs would've been kinda miraculous. I also checked other upb's in the vid to make sure.

Possibly if the set was on other version, but down and away sdi would've been visible in the vid. What I meant was that I thought weston certainly didn't di in a way which would've got out of the upb had there not been a wall there.

The vid is the evidence that backs my claims.
You are correct in saying that it was played in NTSC 1.0, and that Westballz couldn't have sdis the up b. However you were very incorrect in saying, "He certainly wouldn't have got out of the upb had he not collided though," because this is a version specific caveat. However we have been on the same side of the argument... i corrected ...
different thing, westballz sdied out of the up b and mistechs the side of the stage and just fell
Saw this in a video today, Hugs seems to get a kill off this against westballz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkScP2twHgM
11:45
by saying this wasn't the spike it was something else, I mistakenly believed the hitlag of the up b pushed west to the left as SDi since I wasn't aware this was V 1.0 (since I didn't watch the original match just that one clip he mentioned when making my initial post)

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
"He certainly wouldn't have got out of the upb had he not collided though,"
I already said I meant there that he wouldn't have got out of the up b with the di that's visible in the vid, were the wall not there. Of course the point becomes moot because there couldn't be any di, but I didn't know that at the time. In another version wb might've di'd out, but then it would've shown in the vid. Bad wording in the original post though.

Litt

Samus
my friend Zela did this on ranked netplay

https://gfycat.com/BlackFelineDrake

i wouldn't say this is unusable but it's not something you probably want to go for
rather just be aware it might happen and capitalize
Not really the same thing, that was a trade that collided with a spike hitbox instead of being launched out in spike from initially being caught in the up b. Also wavedash back fsmash would have been a better option there than a panic up b...

f14M35

Smash Rookie
Come on litt, can't be too mad at players using up b oos even with mediocre rewards :l

Litt

Samus
Come on litt, can't be too mad at players using up b oos even with mediocre rewards :l
I mean... I'm not mad I was just saying it was not optimal and could have been reacted to for a much better punish. While it may have been the spike hitbox, it may have also just been smash DI out so I was just pointing that out for clarification

LSSH | fish

Smash Rookie
The way I see it, even though the downwards hitbox exists, this is not a usable technique in any way primarily due to the inconsistencies with landing the hit and the possibilities to tech. Since there is nothing to lose from attempting a tech as soon as the up b comes out / the ub b is expected, any competent opponent will be able to avoid punish and possibly even punish the Samus for attempting the technique. I think the only way you'd be able to effectively utilize this in tournament is against someone that doesn't properly DI, or someone that knows absolutely nothing about the properties that Samus' up b has. This is interesting to say the least, I'm curious to see what comes of it.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I think the only way you'd be able to effectively utilize this in tournament is against someone that doesn't properly DI
On NTSC 1.0/1.1 it's literally impossible to DI after 1st hit, since the hitboxes do less than 1% when staled.

LSSH | fish

Smash Rookie
Whether or not NTSC 1.0/1.1 is used is up to player/TO's discretion and NTSC 1.02 is definitely more common. I'm unfamiliar with what official rulesets say about version selection though, and you should still be able to tech away from a followup. Interesting point to add nonetheless.

Litt

Samus
Whether or not NTSC 1.0/1.1 is used is up to player/TO's discretion and NTSC 1.02 is definitely more common. I'm unfamiliar with what official rulesets say about version selection though, and you should still be able to tech away from a followup. Interesting point to add nonetheless.
Cant tech if they are sent off stage, as for the ruleset most TOs allow the players choose the version if they elect to do so. DJ nintendo used to walk around every tourney with a 1.0 disk when he wanted to bust out the samus CP

Top Bottom