• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Robin Tech! Elwind Canceling!

Gabu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gabukin
I'm terrible at explaining things. hopefully this brief explanation makes sense.
If you're close enough to the ground [Pixels away] when you use elwind, you can cancel the animation early with minimal landing lag allowing you to follow up with an additional attack, The best ones being, F-Smash, B-Air, and U-Air. The best method I've found to get this tech to work consistently is to approach with a RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush) F-Air wait a second then use elwind, as demonstrated in the video.

Last edited:

Blazios

Smash Rookie
Having tested this for a few minutes, I've managed to get this to true combo into Up Smash (It worked on Olimar from 67% to about 105%, though only started to kill at higher percents), which seems to be a vertical kill setup that works a little earlier than the Elwind to Up Air setup does (for what it's worth, I got the Elwind to Up Air to start working on Olimar at about 100%) The timing for Up Smash felt a lot more lenient than the timing for the Up Air, in my opinion.

When going for the Forward Smash or Back Air, you'll likely want Robin to be facing towards the stage since the first hit of Elwind always sends the target behind Robin. Of course, the fact that you can B reverse Elwind makes that trivial to do.

Dathx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dathx77
Possibly godlike. I'll be testing it this week when I can and edit this when I find stuff

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, I've put some time into practicing this, it seems pretty easy to do with strong consistency. You have to use Fair though, Bair and Uair have too much recovery, you just end up landing and it buffers to come out as a grounded Elwind.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei

Wizards everywhere thank you for your contribution to the cause! This tech is totally awesome!

Last edited:

•Col•

Smash Champion
While messing around with this for 10-15 mins, I noticed something. If you start the Elwind a little too late while landing, it'll start the Elwind animation but a wind projectile won't come out. However, it will still consume an Elwind charge. The timing for this is pretty lenient compared to the Elwind spike cancel demonstrated in the opening video here. This means that you can pretty easily burn Elwind charges if your tome is in the flashing state. (Only takes up to 4 short hops to use up the rest of your Elwind charges if the tome is flashing) This is faster and safer than trying to just Elwind normally or using the wind jab to eat up your Elwind charges to get a new tome.

Here's a video to show what I mean(quality is meh but it gets the idea across):

shotgunraptorjesus

Smash Rookie
So I was labbing this for like an hour or so and I got decently consistent at it, but there were a few things that caught me up when doing it. I can do it consistently after RAR fairing then Elwinding, but I couldn't do it without it, as I'd end up footstooling the CPU or accidentally double jumping and normal Elwinding. I also, for whatever reason, couldn't do it running towards the left, only to the right, but that might just me being dumb. Elwind Cancels also don't need to hit the opponent to cancel, so the blade doesn't launch, but it still consumes charges just as •Col• mentioned. I guess that might be handy if you whiff the attempted Elwind Cancel combo starter, but it will burn through wind jabs and recoveries like crazy.

Glory Blaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
GloryBlaze37
Seems super useful. I can get the "book burner" cancel very easily but am having trouble getting the half slash to come out. Of course I'm not quite good enough that I'd be able to work this into my play on the fly yet, if I could do it I'd probably be too busy fishing for opportunities to use it to actually play the game!

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
This looks to be a solid tech, against real opponents this seems more like a situational trick as the moment you mess it up and just do a regular Elwind from the ground - you're wide open.

Top Bottom