• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New recovery effect Kirbys Game?

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
Well, something was brought to my attention a while ago. One of Kirby's main advantages in Melee was the fact that he had amazing recovery over the other characters. But now with the addition of characters in brawl, and the new aspects of recovery such as 3 hops and gliding, could this possibly hinder Kirby's meta-game?

of topic: and where the hell is Omni? Wasn't he among the Kirbys?

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
His recovery also got better. He moves better horizontally in the air now, or so I've seen.

freetyme

Smash Cadet
Brawl seems to be more focus upon the aerial combat than its Melee. Kirby will most likely focus on combating opponents in the air as he (or his opponent) recovers. I think this may be one of the main reasons for changes in his side+special (B) move. I would still like to see a Sonic vs. Kirby one-on-one battle--which I haven't seen in the Kirby Archive thread-- they both seem to be lightweight characters with amazing recoveries, characters as Sonic can do other moves after his Springing up special move.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
...people who played kirby in Melee were hardcore Kirby fans and as you can see from my sig, even hardcore fans such as myself couldn't make magic in tourneys which is why I mained Sheik. But Kirby's recorvery is in fact much better as is his all around technique

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
The hammer being used for recovery only really works out if you're pretty high up, but he does have a bit better recovery in terms of horizontal distance.

Funny thing is that ALL Kirby series characters seem to be able to multi-jump. Among them though, I'd actually say that BOTH Meta Knight and Dedede have better recoveries than he does.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
The hammer being used for recovery only really works out if you're pretty high up, but he does have a bit better recovery in terms of horizontal distance.

Funny thing is that ALL Kirby series characters seem to be able to multi-jump. Among them though, I'd actually say that BOTH Meta Knight and Dedede have better recoveries than he does.
DeDeDe has good vertical
Kirby has good horizontal
Meta-Knight had Godly-Gliding

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
DeDeDe has good vertical
Kirby has good horizontal
Meta-Knight had Godly-Gliding
Gliding sucks, though. :<

The Kirby series revolves around the multi-jump concept, as a result, the three main characters have to have it. But on-topic: Kirby's metagame in the air is fine. The only real competition I could see would be DeDeDe and Jiggs, and maybe PT, but Kirby's buffed Up-B can save him a lot of times.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
How does Gliding suck? Didn't you see that video of that guy who flew a Metaknight around Hyrule in a circle in one go?

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Characters in Brawl have, on average, much better recoveries. If a character is on the screen, odds are they can recover.

So Kirby's 5 midair jumps and then Final Cutter don't seem as impressive now.

Good thing his moves got a boost in power and speed, right?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Since when did Kirby have awesome recovery in Melee?

His recovery in Brawl has been given the major boost it needed - Giant Swing with the Hammer for horizontal distance, no loss of jumps with Final Cutter, no loss of Jumps after Forward/Backward/Upthrow, and more effective ledge-grabbing distance.

I would wager to say Dedede's recovery is better than Kirby's. His mid-air jumps may not be as impressive, but his vertical recovery is amazing plus it has Fat Frames to protect him.

I think Meta Knight's is easily the best of the three, but then again he's also the lightest of the bunch.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Dedede's recovery is amazing if you know how to use it right, whether it's horizontally or vertically: since his vertical recovery is technically considered better, any Dedede player thrown very far away can simply let themselves fall to near bottom before using up all their jumps and the up-B move... my friend's gotten so good at it that I have to send them directly to the edge of the screen to kill him.

Meta Knight of course, has the ability to jump once, glide for however long he has to, use the rest of his second jumps, then do the up B shuttle loop move to glide AGAIN. If it weren't for the fact that he was among the easiest to knock out in Brawl, I would say it IS cheap.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Since when did Kirby have awesome recovery in Melee?

His recovery in Brawl has been given the major boost it needed - Giant Swing with the Hammer for horizontal distance, no loss of jumps with Final Cutter, no loss of Jumps after Forward/Backward/Upthrow, and more effective ledge-grabbing distance.

I would wager to say Dedede's recovery is better than Kirby's. His mid-air jumps may not be as impressive, but his vertical recovery is amazing plus it has Fat Frames to protect him.

I think Meta Knight's is easily the best of the three, but then again he's also the lightest of the bunch.
I was about to say. His recovery was pretty bad in melee, approximately low tier.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
He fly's more distance and I believe on of his attacks helpshim recover too. The fact the Kirby also got a substantal boost in improvements since Melee.
Kirby is Kick a**.

Top Bottom