• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New R.O.B. Tech Revisited

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Any questions please ask.

I read about R.O.B. being able to auto cling to a platform on certain maps but i couldn't find the thread and they didn't know how it was consistently done. Well i figured it out on one map so far, and will be updating it for other maps as i test it. I don't have any videos because i don't know how to make them but ill try to make it easy to figure out from reading. One key is to go to practice mode and go to Lylat. Turn on camera zoom and look at these two things. ROB standing still, only has 2 complete sections of him main shaft showing. The second thing to do is short hop and you will see that there are three sections showing now. This is what you need to remember because it makes the difference when doing this tech. I'm not saying its an advanced technique, but i have tried with some other people and so far ROB is only one who can do it. And also he techs the platform without being in hit animation, so its the best i got. Correct me if I'm wrong.Since the Dthrow always puts the enemy in about the same place with no change in knock back, it is a good move to set up for this once you can consistently preform the tech. Takes a good amount of practice, but when you get it it can get some really easy damage.

** Side note about Lylat **
You can only do this on the two outside platforms here. And it must be from underneath the center of the platform or further towards the middle. If you are from the center to the edges you will not be able to get high enough to do the tech.

Description:

R.O.B. short hops and auto clings to the platform, able to use any attack.

Steps:

1. Short Hop
2. Watch for the bottom section of R.O.B.'s shaft to come above platform
3. Slam control stick down and hold for a second
4. Preform any attack or grab you want

Damage %'s:

Dthrow > Dsmash (23%)
Dthrow > Fsmash (23% - 24%)
Dthrow > Usmash (24%)
Dthrow > Dthrow/Uthrow/Fthrow/Bthrow (20%)

Working Maps:

In progress...

Lylat Cruise

Characters:

In Progress...

Just some key points to remember when preforming this tech:

-Watch R.O.B.'s body to know when to start clinging
-Make sure it is while he is moving upwards
-Must be done immediately after the throw
-If you miss the tech... Uair or fast fall and charge an Usmash. They may get out of the falling animation by then.

** Please no post's about shaft comments. I didnt know a better word to use. **

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, maybe I'm just reading this wrong or something, but this is kinda confusing. Do you have any videos of this?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
its platform cancelling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK16zTBzIQQ

you can do it on any platform that moves, such as smashville or lylat (during tilt) or cruise or some other stage with moving parts

its kinda hard :/ i find it really easy if you do it with a gyro charge, though that means you have to spend time cancelling the gyro charge (you can't gyro charge cancel when you're grounded, only in the air...that would of made it **** :D)

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Actually you can gyro cancel on the ground. i do it a lot. and sorry it was confusing, i had a whole write up and it got deleted so i was a little pissed. i have been practicing on lylat for about 30 min now with computer and i can do it every time now. In fact it is amazing. i just Dthrow them while under the platform and do the tech and i get a free hit while they are still recovering. And for mind games if you do it often just fastfall instead and get off an upsmash. But to make it easier to understand ill explaine, i said i could make videos just so you know, thats why i dont have one up. here it goes...

just stand under the side platforms of lylat and do a short hop. notice you dont go above the platfowm. now do a slightly higher jump andn youll see you go too high. This trick lets you short hop and even though you cant make it above the platform, by slamming down when that part of the body i mentioned is above the platform, it just sticks you up on it. so you can do a short hop and hit down at the right moment and it puts you on it allowing you to get off an attact while they are still unable to recover. The DI from your Dthrow makes it hard for them to get away from you so they land on the platform above you. If you still don't understand PM me and ill give you a call to explaine. If you go to the thread posted i think it has a video showing you. I just figured out the mechanics of the move so not it can be done without the guesswork. i dont notice a difference with the gyro charged or not though, but ill look at it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I was just messing around with this as well. And I found out you can in fact gyro cancel on the ground, lol :p though I really only use gyro cancels when I wavebounce which I only really do in the air, I've never actually tried it on the ground :laugh:

Anyway, I found out how to do this really easily, 100% of the time. Basically, the way this works (I presume) is that you have to be holding down during the frames where your feet are passing through the platform. As the whole platform counts as...ground, I suppose (even the parts that you shouldn't be able to stand on, ie. the filling inbetween the top of the platform and the bottom), if your feet are occupying the same position as the stuff "inbetween" the top and bottom of a moving platform, it'll just push you up to the top of it, where you normally stand. I don't know why this doesn't work with stationary platforms...I guess they're all too thin or something? It should work in theory, but hey, idk.

Anyways, knowing this, means that it makes it really easy to automatically do this without even really having to time it. Just by holding down, any other button press when your feet (Also, the fact ROB doesn't have real "feet" makes this really easy for us...I tried it with Ivysaur and MK and they're both a bit harder, though that may just be my fault for not knowing their jump times as well as I know ROBs) are inside of that inbetween area will push you up to the top. Now, most characters would be able to just Dair and instantly stop since most characters dairs don't have lag before the hitbox comes out. ROB however, since he just loves to fail in every way imaginable, has the angry stomp before the hitbox comes out...so we can't use our down airs. However, shield works just as well :D (arguably better, though it means you need more tech to do everything like you would with lagless dairs...)

Anyway, pass through the platform holding down + when your feet are in the area inbetween the top and bottom of the platform, press R or L or Z. This is why I've always found it much easier with Down B, since I was just timing the B without having to time the down input (which seems to be much harder for some reason). After some practice, I've found it easier to just ignore holding down altogether, and time it just like you would a waveland in Melee (the timing is actually VERY close to a melee platform waveland), hitting down and R simultaneously just like you would over a melee platform...

Anyways, what I meant by a "bit more tech" earlier is that we have to drop our shield before we can do anything useful. However, in the messing around I've done, if you input something fast enough, it seems like your shield doesn't even come up, even though you're hitting R...ie. do the timing like normal but hit Left C stick really fast and you'll just Fsmash instantly without having to wait the extra frames for your shield to drop. Yeah, the difference is actually quite noticeable, but it does take a fair amount of tech skill...I can't get it consistently after the 40 or so minutes I was just working on it, but I can get it a good enough amount of the time I feel comfortable with it. And I get the actual platform cancel nearly 100% of the time by just timing down and R...its really not as hard as you'd think it would be.

Anyway, like I said, if you're fast enough you can basically do just about anything ASAP, which is really cool...there's a lot less landing lag then there is from a melee waveland...Dsmash seems to come out instantaneously for example.

Also, something I've noticed...if you do the thing where you drop through the platform in your shield, you can jump straight back up and platform cancel, then drop through the platform again...I can do like 2-3 a second if I'm timing it right... it'd be a really cool taunt haha, but its not really useful.

Also, you can glide toss straight out of it when you press R to cancel...and I'd assume you could do that Robo Burner thing where you use glide toss momentum to make your Up B go far, since you're being stopped by the edge of the platform after all.

This seems to be realistically just really good for movement...you can roll instantly after landing on the platform and it's almost like a faux-waveland in melee...I'd imagine people like Lucario or MK with sick back rolls would get a lot more out of it then us but ours is still really nice.

Anywho, I've only tested on SV and Lylat so far...SV is by far more useful since you can't do Lylats whenever you want, only when the stage is tilting...but Lylat seems to have better opportunites for punishment since the platform is a lot smaller (less room for them to run :))

so yeah, get good at this thing, it's another trick in ROB's arsenal and it's really not all that hard :)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
this is actually the same thing as the gyro platform cancel. when your feet are on the inbetween stuff on a platform, it pushes you up to the top if you do a downwards action...at least thats what I've observed.

and yeah this actually is useful. its basically the same thing as wavelanding on a platform in melee except you can't slide anywhere.

Edit: hm, you can do the platform cancel on shadow moses as well. As of right now, I don't think it actually has anything with whether the platform is moving, just how thick it is. the lylat platform must get thicker when tilting or something. im gonna go experiment on other stages.

Edit2: im just gonna post **** as I test it. you can platform cancel on halberd before it rises, but afterwards you can't do it at all...maybe it does have to do with moving, but then I dont know why it works on shadow moses. w/e I'm gonna test it more. when the 2nd part comes (the part with the obstacles) you can't do it at all, but when the flying platform comes back again you can do it until it flys away, but even then you can still do it for a good 2-3 seconds...hmm. this obv. means the flying platform doesnt actually move, only the background changes...guess that should've been obvious anyway though lol

edit3: this works on summit even when it's stationary.

edit4: rereading the op, you're wrong about that lylat note pick random. you can do it on the center platform, i was doing it there earlier. also, this doesnt work on siege.

edit5: doesn't work on frigate, 1st transform or 2nd.
this works on yoshis, but only when the platform is tilting. doesn't work on BF. doesn't work on norfair. doesn't work on default ps transform

TheMike

Smash Lord
You lag using this. I'd rather drop from the platform and do the same aerial. At least I won't be at -one of- the easiest position to be juggled.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
mike, you don't lag using this at all, read my long *** post I wrote earlier. I dont think you quite understand what this does when you say "drop from the platform and do the same aerial". this is the exact same thing as wavelanding on a platform in melee, just you can't slide with it.

you jump onto a platform and automatically cling to it and can do any move out of it. this looks really useful actually.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Yeah, I didn't read all of your long post. Sorry. -.-'' I thought something that wasn't what you were talking about. :|

I'll test this tomorrow. Something useful for ROB is really cool. =)

TheMike

Smash Lord
What should I do to rack up 24% using Fsmash as a follow up for Dthow and not 23%?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hmm I was wrong about the downwards action thing. I just did it on smashville holding down then doing a fair with cstick. so you don't have to use shield and deal with shield drop frames :D ****

edit: bair is actually better because fair has some landing lag and bair doesn't. uair works too but its kinda awkward. nair seems impossible because u need to be holding down on the control stick and u cant nair with the c stick but i'd imagine it'd work

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i think hitting down and bair is the easiest way and causes the least lag. its soo easy lol. and it looks cool. imma def. start usin it. eric you platform cancel already? how do you do it

Sudai

Stuff here
Stingers, you CAN NAir with the CStick, it's just hella impractical. It's such a light tap, not even a flick, it's ****ed hard to do even when you're really focusing.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You can also Nair if the C-stick is set to tilts, you just need to hit the C-stick in a diagonal.

At least, I'm pretty sure that works. XD

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
sorry to hop back on this so late. i was playing with a friend all day, didn't think many people would post. and btw, 6Mizu, this was directed at the fact you pop them above you to the platform. so unless your already holding the dradle good luck hitting them. it was just something for advancing R.O.B.'s game. Alot of times i still find it hard to use the gyro against reflectors if their good cause im new to rob and using this has helped alot already for my style. i agrees a lot and try to keep them on the run. But anyways thanks alot stinger for looking into it as well, i think its sick once you get it down and im pretty sure i remember reading from the original finders it works on some ship maps as well.

To answer the question of the 23 or 24 damage, if it was a question, I'm tired and don't feel like reading the post again... but it was because the Fsmash has a sweet spot and a regular spot so it varies by one. sorry to confuse, i was trying to be thorough. You can short hop and try aerials too but i haven't had much time to test it yet.

For those of you who already know these things and love to post about how smart you are, it waste space. try to be helpful. im sure people know this, but its for those who want to learn.

and thanks again stinger, really helpful. i didn't think of it as in the feet. I just found it to work every time when i timed it the way i described. ill look mess around with it more tomorrow.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Sure thing. Are you going to Indianapolis this weekend? Im going to spectate but if any good ROBs are going id like to see you all play.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Sure thing. Are you going to Indianapolis this weekend? Im going to spectate but if any good ROBs are going id like to see you all play.
Indianapolis, as in VGBootcamp? I'm going to MAS, the other tournament that there was a huge fight over, lol. To make up for it, VGDC is having their Brawl on Sunday, and ours on Saturday. I was originally going to both for Brawl, but Brawl+ is on Sunday and I wanted to enter it, so I decided to sign up for Melee while I'm there too.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Indianapolis, as in VGBootcamp? I'm going to MAS, the other tournament that there was a huge fight over, lol. To make up for it, VGDC is having their Brawl on Sunday, and ours on Saturday. I was originally going to both for Brawl, but Brawl+ is on Sunday and I wanted to enter it, so I decided to sign up for Melee while I'm there too.
Im so jealous lol.

I've been playing tons of melee lately, really wish i had a tourney for it soon.

I also had to bail on VGbootcamp because of ride johns, I MIGHT still be making it to some other OH tourney tho.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Im so jealous lol.

I've been playing tons of melee lately, really wish i had a tourney for it soon.

I also had to bail on VGbootcamp because of ride johns, I MIGHT still be making it to some other OH tourney tho.
Melee is still really big around here, I've never been to a tournament that didn't have it. That's a big reason why I got into Melee competitively. I've been playing a good amount of it lately, but this is my first Melee tournament and I'm still pretty bad. I'm gonna get destroyed. XD

I just hope my Melee Jiggz is doing good on Sunday, and I might have a chance to get a few clutch Rests in. XD

Top Bottom