• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Names for Hydyroplane HERE

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Topic... As called out by Steeler, we need new names for These.

We can Keep the (Sliding U-smash With Pivot) as Hydroplane

for The Sliding F-smash as __________

For The Sliding Grab as __________

For The Sliding U-smash with No Pivot ___________

The Sliding D-Smash as ____________

The Sliding Jump as ___________

However, If you MADE/DISCOVERED THE AT, You Over Rule.

(now i'm bad with names, but i'll give you guys some to think about xD)

Sliding F-smash: Pivot Shell

Sliding Grab (I discovered yay!) uh.....Don't Really Know.... Shell Grab.

Sliding U-smash with No Pivot as: HYDRO PUMP

Sliding D-smash as: Rapid Dash

The Sliding Jump as: SLING SHOT...

Remember i'm not great with names.... Soo yeah DX

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
hydrograb etc is fine

i just want a new name for 'reverse hydroplane' so it isn't as similar to 'hydroplane'

because that **** confuses me

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
The Fsmash, Dsmash, and Grab techs have a Pivot in them, for those who might be confuzzled.

Sliding F-smash(I didn't discover this one, but SamuraiPanda, nor the guide, offered any concrete instruction whilst my topic did. Take this as you will): Hyrdoplaned Fsmash(Abbreviated as HP Fsmash)

Sliding Grab: Hyrdoplaned Grab(abbreviated as HP Grab) or Hyrdograb

Sliding U-smash with No Pivot: Forward Hyrdoplane(abbrieviated as FHP)

Sliding D-Smash(Woo, I discovered this one, however, I'm open to different names): Hyrdoplaned Dsmash(Abbreviated at HP Dsmash)

Sliding Jump: Slingshot/Slingshell

I pretty much wanna streamline the whole Hyrdoplane thing, because they can go the exact same distances, except when you do a Usmash, you have to press Jump a nothingth of a second before executing the Usmash. The windows for the timing are exactly the same otherwise. Sure, not pressing jump technically makes a it a True Pivot/Dash Pivot Cancel, but Hyrdoplaning came first, and Squirtle's True Pivot/Dash Pivot Cancel is so long that we may as well just all categorize them under Hyrdoplaning.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
The Fsmash, Dsmash, and Grab techs have a Pivot in them, for those who might be confuzzled.

Sliding F-smash(I didn't discover this one, but SamuraiPanda, nor the guide, offered any concrete instruction whilst my topic did. Take this as you will): Hyrdoplaned Fsmash(Abbreviated as HP Fsmash)
***- Pivot Smashing: First make sure your C-stick is set to smashes other wise you can't use it. To pull this off do a shell shift, and about the time squirtle makes the turning around sound face the C-stick the opposite way you are facing, charge it while holding Z, but keep your Control stick going the way you turned around. Ex: you run shell slide and turn to the left, when you hear the sound press the C-stick Right, then press Z to charge while having your control stick still going at the left. This takes practice, A lot of practice. How is this useful? this basically is a Reverse Hydroplaning only with your F smash and D smash (F smash goes farther) Any char can do it, but squirtle has the best in the whole game by far.
~Quick Tip: This is Slower but can be more powerful than Hydroplaning.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZg0f8RTMOg
Where to use: This is a toughy, well i don't use it that much, mainly when someone abuses rolling on the edge, you can do this.

lol wut? xD copy and pasted this from the guide

anway, we'll just keep the names as Reverse Hydroplane (one with pivot) and Forward Hydroplane, (one without pivot) and keep everything the same okay?

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
I think just slinging is a simple name for the pivot jump.

And with the other moves, the first parts should be Slide or Hydro.

Slidegrab, Hydrosmash, ect.

I'm not sure about having stuff like shell as the last part.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Hydro-grab makes no sense. Actually, neither does "Hydro-xxxxx" for anything that doesn't have a water attack.

I agree with putting in Shift for a lot of them. =s

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Because you don't suffer recoil damage. D=

Skull Bash had the user lower it's head (In Squirtle's case, into it's shell), increased Defense (I'm just going to say that's the super armor), took two turns to execute (Slow, just like this Smash), and Squirtle pops his Skull out of the move during the cool-down lag.

It could be Body Slam if there was a chance of tripping your opponent.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
retro has a good point. the thing that bothers me the most aside from the forward/backward thing is the fact that we have hydroplane as the general name for everything, when in reality it is only the name for the sliding up smash.

i think putting shell in there could work...since pivot grabbing is a different, although similar, technique.

Shellgrab i think...slide grab just sounds too corny lol

Whirlpool was a great suggestion by retro lol

Skull Bash is pretty good too, although I can't help but think there might be a better name out there...you don't actually hit with the skull after all.

i REALLY want a way to differentiate between hydroplane with pivot and hydroplane without pivot. coincidentally, can you do anything other than upsmash out of the no pivot technique?

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Hydro-grab makes no sense. Actually, neither does "Hydro-xxxxx" for anything that doesn't have a water attack.

I agree with putting in Shift for a lot of them. =s
Shift is good.

I don't want to have names like actual pokemon moves, I like stuff like hydroplane.

Slide Dsmash could be Hydrospin.

Pivotgrab, Shift grab, or slidegrab. Probably slidegrab because it might not involve a pivot.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
hydrospin is really nice if we don't go with actual pokemon names.

shell<shift probably so shiftgrabs would be nice

shift...shell? shiftsmash or something for fsmash

shiftlunge? shiftbash?

and are we just going to keep forward/backward hydroplane as the only distinction? D:

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so let's get the list on stuff we've agreed on.

Hydrospin
Slingshot
Slidegrab

err, that's all the stuff I think we've agreed on.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice

Sliding Grab: Hyrdoplaned Grab(abbreviated as HP Grab) or Hyrdograb

Sliding U-smash with No Pivot: Forward Hyrdoplane(abbrieviated as FHP)

Sliding D-Smash(Woo, I discovered this one, however, I'm open to different names): Hyrdoplaned Dsmash(Abbreviated at HP Dsmash)

Sliding Jump: Slingshot/Slingshell
Pretty simple names I like the HP-blah blah. It works.

Also, why dont we Squirtle players JACK wavedash?

"Wave"-Dash anyone? He has water on almost all his smashs.

The only wave dash in brawl!! (Shut up yoshi boards lol)

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Thats just a running UP-Smash, anyone can do it. So it doesnt need a name...
No that isnt the Hyphen Smash, This is Different, This is where he Turns but before he completely turns around, he does an U smash and goes flying farther

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you can try it yourself, basically dash, hold the control stick at about 45 degrees upward in the opposite direction and jump/usmash at the same time. you should hear the usmash's sound and sometimes the skidding sound too. but squirtle only goes into his shell for a SPLIT second, and then slides further with an usmash. oh and he faces the opposite way you were originally running too.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
retro has a good point. the thing that bothers me the most aside from the forward/backward thing is the fact that we have hydroplane as the general name for everything, when in reality it is only the name for the sliding up smash.

i think putting shell in there could work...since pivot grabbing is a different, although similar, technique.

Shellgrab i think...slide grab just sounds too corny lol

Whirlpool was a great suggestion by retro lol

Skull Bash is pretty good too, although I can't help but think there might be a better name out there...you don't actually hit with the skull after all.

i REALLY want a way to differentiate between hydroplane with pivot and hydroplane without pivot. coincidentally, can you do anything other than upsmash out of the no pivot technique?
I've tested that a bit, and so far the only other thing you can do is just plain jump out of it, for that slingshot thing.

If I can find something else to interrupt the animation, we'll be doing more with it, but for now it seems to be limited to just the Usmash and Jumping.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
you can try it yourself, basically dash, hold the control stick at about 45 degrees upward in the opposite direction and jump/usmash at the same time. you should hear the usmash's sound and sometimes the skidding sound too. but squirtle only goes into his shell for a SPLIT second, and then slides further with an usmash. oh and he faces the opposite way you were originally running too.
no need for the 45 degrees, i do it straight up, and it's been easy as pie

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
45 degrees is need to start the shellshift animation. You can do backwards, then Up, but 45 is just easier because you just have to hold it there.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
Ill give it a try in the when I get off work at 6am.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
well yeah, with 45 degrees you are both pivoting and smashing at the same time. all you need to do is put your thumb on both y and a and you are set.

just a little shortcut i found when i was trying to learn this for the first time. back and up was too hard for me, maybe my left thumb is just hella slow.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
I definately am excited to apply this to my game. I love Shellshifting and Hydroplaning with Squirt.

*Shameless Plug*

I have a new vid up with my Squirt in action. See my thread.

I have just been sitting at work uploading vids and trolling lulz.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
my two cents.

hydroplaning (input forward tap back-jump and upsmash) where you do not change your direction.

shifted hydroplane-dash back shellshift hydroplane

shifted grab- dash back shellshift grab

shifted dsmash/fsmash-dash back shellshift dsmash/fsmash

shifted jump-shell shift jump

This is a simple list of names that easily describe what each is and basically how its done. If we define hydroplaning as the the sliding upsmash that does not require a shell shift, we can then name the one that does require a shellshift as the shifted hydroplane. Subsequently it would make sense to give the prefix shifted to any move that requires a shellshift. EX. shifted down smash. Not only does this simplify the name making process it actually describes what is happening. That is to say a shifted down smash is a down smash that is ends not where it began versus a dsmash which ends and begins in the same point.

Its not flashy i know but it makes things simple.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i suppose we could just abbreviate it to S_________ like SDsmash, SUsmash, SGrab, etc.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Topic... As called out by Steeler, we need new names for These.

We can Keep the (Sliding U-smash With Pivot) as Hydroplane

for The Sliding F-smash as : Shell Shock (SS)

For The Sliding Grab as : S-grab :p

For The Sliding U-smash with No Pivot : True Hydroplane (THP)

The Sliding D-Smash as : Top Spin (TS)

The Sliding Jump as : Jumpslide :p

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
my two cents.

hydroplaning (input forward tap back-jump and upsmash) where you do not change your direction.

shifted hydroplane-dash back shellshift hydroplane

shifted grab- dash back shellshift grab

shifted dsmash/fsmash-dash back shellshift dsmash/fsmash

shifted jump-shell shift jump

This is a simple list of names that easily describe what each is and basically how its done. If we define hydroplaning as the the sliding upsmash that does not require a shell shift, we can then name the one that does require a shellshift as the shifted hydroplane. Subsequently it would make sense to give the prefix shifted to any move that requires a shellshift. EX. shifted down smash. Not only does this simplify the name making process it actually describes what is happening. That is to say a shifted down smash is a down smash that is ends not where it began versus a dsmash which ends and begins in the same point.

Its not flashy i know but it makes things simple.
This is solid and practical.

Top Bottom