• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Music: Go K.K. Rider

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Why would an AC character be stupid? I'm rooting for Tom Nook myself.
Because not only do they never fight, the game has no real competition to speak of. What will they fight with, watering cans and fishing rods? The very thought is just absurd. I know they made a moveset for Captain Falcon, but fighting only seems natural with him being a bounty hunter/extreme racer such as he is. And he's the exception! There's almost no chance of it happening with another character, especially not a character from a sim. I don't care who you pick. The whole cast is small, young, weak, and stupid. Compare to Ness: he's a kid too but he has POWERS. What powers do the ACWW characters have? NOTHING! What special tools do they have? Shovels? Furniture? PAH!

Hong

The Strongest
Because not only do they never fight, the game has no real competition to speak of.
That would rule out 1/4th of the melee cast. By this, I disclude characters like the Ice Climbers because they simply jump into the enemies and they die, something anyone can do.
What will they fight with, watering cans and fishing rods?
Oh, and that makes any more sense than turnips, Mr. Satturn, Lip's Stick, paper fans and a multitude of other things. Last time I checked, getting hit by an axe or even a slingshot hurts.
The very thought is just absurd.
Only to those who can't think outside of the box. This isn't a fighting game. This is a fighting game in a Nintendo universe, where things are radically different.
I know they made a moveset for Captain Falcon, but fighting only seems natural with him being a bounty hunter/extreme racer such as he is. And he's the exception!
I could think of 101 comical, effective or serious Animal Crossing moves. So could Sakurai.
There's almost no chance of it happening with another character, especially not a character from a sim
Oh, so F-Zero is a racing sim? Metroid is a shooting sim? Zelda is an adventuring sim? Animal Crossing is far too ridiculous, simple and fluent to be a sim.
I don't care who you pick. The whole cast is small, young, weak, and stupid.
Once again, that would rule out a fair sum of the melee cast. See, at this point, you're allowing your personal bias about the series seep into your comments making it look overly opinionated and silly. If you want such a hardcore fighting game, you won't find it in a world with cute floating pink blobs and smiling dinosaurs. I don't know how you can call them small in size or population. In size, they'd be roughly as tall as Mario. In population, well, I'll just say the only series featured in Smash Bros that has more different characters is Fire Emblem and Pokémon. I could be wrong, but I don't need to dwell in specifics.
Compare to Ness: he's a kid too but he has POWERS. What powers do the ACWW characters have? NOTHING! What special tools do they have? Shovels? Furniture? PAH!
Half of the cast had powers given to them to make them viable choices. I could easily give a full moveset to any Animal Crossing character, as well as balancing figures to make them a viable fighter. Just because you don't like the series or you can't imagine the possibilities, that doesn't mean no one else can. This game isn't for you alone. I don't like Sonic, Dark Samus, Captain Olimar or many of suggested characters, but instead I review the ideas fellow community members come up with. If it seems like they'd make for an interesting character, I support them despite how much I like the character itself because they'd fit in well, do something no one else can and most importantly make fans of the character happy. Expand your mind. It makes the world a better place.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
That would rule out 1/4th of the melee cast. By this, I disclude characters like the Ice Climbers because they simply jump into the enemies and they die, something anyone can do.
HEy, they have hammers too, even in the original. Plus they ATTACK.
Oh, and that makes any more sense than turnips, Mr. Satturn, Lip's Stick, paper fans and a multitude of other things. Last time I checked, getting hit by an axe or even a slingshot hurts.
Turnips WERE a weapon. Harisen are VERY copmmon in Japanese humor. And most of these are separate items, not basis of a character. I find it way less stupid to have the Slingshot as a separate item than make a character based around the random tools.
Only to those who can't think outside of the box. This isn't a fighting game. This is a fighting game in a Nintendo universe, where things are radically different.
You still have to throw a punch. Even if a villager had an axe, the way they swing is so slow and clumsy it would never fit a fast paced battle.
I could think of 101 comical, effective or serious Animal Crossing moves. So could Sakurai.
That doesn;t mean it would be reasonable.
Oh, so F-Zero is a racing sim? Metroid is a shooting sim? Zelda is an adventuring sim? Animal Crossing is far too ridiculous, simple and fluent to be a sim.
It is pretty much entirely a sim. What is the object of the game? To live in a realtime town, talking to animal friends, doing errands and buying furniture. There is no ending or conflict.
Once again, that would rule out a fair sum of the melee cast. See, at this point, you're allowing your personal bias about the series seep into your comments making it look overly opinionated and silly. If you want such a hardcore fighting game, you won't find it in a world with cute floating pink blobs and smiling dinosaurs. I don't know how you can call them small in size or population. In size, they'd be roughly as tall as Mario. In population, well, I'll just say the only series featured in Smash Bros that has more different characters is Fire Emblem and Pokémon. I could be wrong, but I don't need to dwell in specifics.
Yoshi can eat and attack using eggs. Ness has psychic powers and a baseball bat. Kirby copies special abilities to defeat monsters. Small I meant by the fact they are about Ness's proportions, which would be okay if they had any useful abilities besides talking.
Half of the cast had powers given to them to make them viable choices. I could easily give a full moveset to any Animal Crossing character, as well as balancing figures to make them a viable fighter. Just because you don't like the series or you can't imagine the possibilities, that doesn't mean no one else can. This game isn't for you alone. I don't like Sonic, Dark Samus, Captain Olimar or many of suggested characters, but instead I review the ideas fellow community members come up with. If it seems like they'd make for an interesting character, I support them despite how much I like the character itself because they'd fit in well, do something no one else can and most importantly make fans of the character happy. Expand your mind. It makes the world a better place.
I have the game, I got it the day it came out and played it a year straight. That is not the issue. And again, "interesting" doesn't mean reasonable.

Also there is at least 100 characters more deserving.

Hong

The Strongest
HEy, they have hammers too, even in the original. Plus they ATTACK.
That was just to point out that anyone can hold a blunt object above their head and jump into stuff.
Turnips WERE a weapon. Harisen are VERY copmmon in Japanese humor. And most of these are separate items, not basis of a character. I find it way less stupid to have the Slingshot as a separate item than make a character based around the random tools.
That doesn't alleviate anything. It's a fact that they, as well as many things in smash brothers, are silly. They are allowing silly, unrealistic things into the game. Just because it worked in the original game, that wouldn't at all alter its status from before, after or in Smash Brothers.
You still have to throw a punch. Even if a villager had an axe, the way they swing is so slow and clumsy it would never fit a fast paced battle.That doesn;t mean it would be reasonable.
That could make for a very interesting smash attack. Highly powerful, but if you miss you get the same lag as well as the humorous expression the characters make when they miss anything.

And if you want to be so realistic, working that hard for days and days would make you strong. I can ensure you they can punch, kick, and give one heck of a headbutt.
It is pretty much entirely a sim. What is the object of the game? To live in a realtime town, talking to animal friends, doing errands and buying furniture. There is no ending or conflict.
Just because there is no conflict, that doesn't make it a sim. Is BrainAge is a sim? Is Picross a sim? Is Mario Paint a sim?

And I lol'd at how you added animal friends. Yeah, I talk to short, cutesy, overly generous and emotional animals every day. If that bothered people, Dr. Kawashima, Lip, Animal Crossing Human, Tom Nook as well as many others wouldn't appear on the polls.
Yoshi can eat and attack using eggs. Ness has psychic powers and a baseball bat. Kirby copies special abilities to defeat monsters. Small I meant by the fact they are about Ness's proportions, which would be okay if they had any useful abilities besides talking.
You are taking it out of the context. The point is the characters don't need to be serious. God, look at Kirby doing any attack. He shows no anger, hatred or determination. Just an innocent expression.
I have the game, I got it the day it came out and played it a year straight. That is not the issue. And again, "interesting" doesn't mean reasonable.
Actually, it does. The most characters we're going to have is 40. We want these characters to not only be as original as possible, but to deviate from the rest of the cast as much as possible. While Mario runs to attack the Animal Crossing human, he could roll out a carpet under his feet and toss him in the air. I'd love that. xD
Also there is at least 100 characters more deserving.
See, I want to ride you off easily by saying "That's your opinion", but I'll include something else. When I look at Japanese series making it to North America, I instantly think of two games. Animal Forest and Fire Emblem. Nintendo didn't think Fire Emblem would be good enough to bring it overseas, but the explosion of popularity with Animal Forest was enough to convince them that if they released Animal Crossing world wide, it'd be a hit. And were they ever right. They weren't even confident enough in Fire Emblem enough to allow it overseas until they saw how popular Marth and Roy were amongst English speaking fans. Even then, I only know two other serious Fire Emblem fans in real life. But for Animal Crossing, I know many.
For reference;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#Nintendo_GameCube
Look at Animal Crossing GCN's sales figures. 2.22 mil world wide ranking as the fifth best seller. What's shocking is not only it's high position, but the fact it sold over twice as many copies stateside than in Japan.
Animal Crossing: Wild World was no different, selling a whopping 8 million units also being the fifth best seller.

What do sales figured have to do with anything? With that many fans, that means the series has devoted followers. Putting an Animal Crossing character in Brawl would please millions upon millions even more so than Smashville. So while you lack real reasoning for an Animal Crossing character not to show up besides your personal opinion, I definately know I'm not alone when I say it'd be one of the best additions ever.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't alleviate anything. It's a fact that they, as well as many things in smash brothers, are silly. They are allowing silly, unrealistic things into the game. Just because it worked in the original game, that wouldn't at all alter its status from before, after or in Smash Brothers.
Silly, not plain stupid. Kittenswipe is silly. Tennis racket is silly.
Just because there is no conflict, that doesn't make it a sim. Is BrainAge is a sim? Is Picross a sim? Is Mario Paint a sim?
And I lol'd at how you added animal friends. Yeah, I talk to short, cutesy, overly generous and emotional animals every day. If that bothered people, Dr. Kawashima, Lip, Animal Crossing Human, Tom Nook as well as many others wouldn't appear on the polls.
So you're saying Dr. Kawashima is now perfectly acceptible for Brawl too? I never said lack of conflict alone makes it a sim. But it comes WAY closer to being a sim than any other genre. Brain Age is more or less a Puzzle game. Mario Paint is barely a game, it's more an art program. According to wikipedia, it's Life simulation game/Role-playing game/Communication Adventure, although personally, I find almost no standard roleplaying elements.
And I never once implied there was ever a problem with furries. I was only explaining the major gameplay: TALKING.
You are taking it out of the context. The point is the characters don't need to be serious. God, look at Kirby doing any attack. He shows no anger, hatred or determination. Just an innocent expression.

Maybe not in Smash so far...
What do sales figured have to do with anything? With that many fans, that means the series has devoted followers.
So does Kirby, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, F-Zero....Besides, they already got a stage and item. You want EVERY popular franchise to have a rep? What about Golden Sun (IGN's 24th best Game Boy Advance game of all time)? What about Custom Robo (OK maybe average but makes tons more sense in a fighting game)? What about Startropics? What about Baten Kaitos (Origins got a user score of 9.1 on gamespot)? Advance Wars? Surely AC doesn't overrule everyone else that's repless.

Hong

The Strongest
Silly, not plain stupid. Kittenswipe is silly. Tennis racket is silly.
Using tools is plain stupid? News to me.
Once again, this would be your own opinion. I think hitting someone with a shovel or axe is a lot more intelligent than a turnip.
So you're saying Dr. Kawashima is now perfectly acceptible for Brawl too? I never said lack of conflict alone makes it a sim. But it comes WAY closer to being a sim than any other genre. Brain Age is more or less a Puzzle game. Mario Paint is barely a game, it's more an art program. According to wikipedia, it's Life simulation game/Role-playing game/Communication Adventure, although personally, I find almost no standard roleplaying elements
Not close enough. The closest thing to a Sim is quite literally the Sim series developed my Maxis or those weird flight simulator games no one cares about. It's too unrealistic. To be a real simulator, it needs to be realistic and not so much a game, like you said with Mario Paint. Animal Crossing is a fun, carefree game.
And I never once implied there was ever a problem with furries. I was only explaining the major gameplay: TALKING.
But you brought up the subject that the game has talking animals with unrealistic personalities, thus making it far from just a simulator alone. I never said you had a problem with furries anywhere.

Maybe not in Smash so far...
Once again, you took it out of context. It was referring to Kirby doing any attack, and the subject is Brawl, so you'd look at the screenshots. I could easily be as oblivious as that, as well as post multiple pictures of Kirby showing an angry expression. But the subject is Brawl and the fact is he still lacks a serious manner regardless. Even if he had an angry expression for one or two attacks, the majority of them are him smiling or having a blank expression. A fair sum of the current characters have careless expressions. Simply displaying this the majority of the time shows they're carefree and not to be taken seriously regardless of how powerful they are.
So does Kirby, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, F-Zero....Besides, they already got a stage and item. You want EVERY popular franchise to have a rep? What about Golden Sun (IGN's 24th best Game Boy Advance game of all time)? What about Custom Robo (OK maybe average but makes tons more sense in a fighting game)? What about Startropics? What about Baten Kaitos (Origins got a user score of 9.1 on gamespot)? Advance Wars? Surely AC doesn't overrule everyone else that's repless.
xD I love that. You even brought up a GameSpot rating.
GameSpot.
Just wow.
Seriously?

And once again, you take it out of context. It never said every popular franchise should have a rep, but it was saying that it has enough popularity (above the games you mentioned, even) to give a good reception of an appearing character. It's fact that putting in an Animal Crossing character would please more people than putting in Ray MK (<3) or Mike Jones. Many, many of the characters don't make a lot of sense until they're changed when they come into Brawl and you can dodge this fact all you want. Plug your ears and sing 'lalala' for all of eternity. This doesn't alleviate that it'd be beneficial beyond many other suggestions for the game as a whole. You need to look in perception fans in general and not yourself. I can't stand suggested characters like Sonic, Krystal, Stafy or even currently implemented characters like Wario. But I still support them. Why? Because I know it'll please the fans and that they can offer something very original. I posted proof that an Animal Crossing rep would have a better reception than many characters from "every popular franchise", and it's beyond easy to coin a very original moveset for an Animal Crossing character.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Anyone have the mp3 for this song? I've wanted it ever since I heard it. I loved it in the GC AC, and I love the arrangement. I haven't seen the download anywhere. Anyone have it?

BoG

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much agree with everything Lunadis has said so far. maybe I'm biased because I can see anyone from AC being very fun, creative, and original as a fighter in brawl, but his points are just all great.

M.K

Level 55
Lunadis FTW, seriously, AC Characters deserve a spot just as much as any Pokemon, Human, or...w/e Falco is 0.o

Maybe...a falcon? Perhaps? Zlol.

Top Bottom