• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New movement idea: Dashsaving

Toomai

Smash Ace
Lame name, but it's gotta be a compound word.

It's always greaty annoyed me how, when you dash off a ledge, you have to re-dash once you hit the ground to keep running (otherwise you walk quickly). I think this is redundant. For Brawl, it should be so that if you've been dashing and you leave the ground, you will resume dashing once you touch the ground again.

What do you think?

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I'm against it. One of the most fundamental things in smash is that dashing/smashattacks/jumps/dropping through platforms are always done by "smash"ing the control stick, and the earliest thing you can learn to get better is the timing for when your character can do something again. In fact, one of the hardest things to learn is the right timing for dashing after an attack/landing instead of just walking, and I'd like it to stay difficult.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Wait I think I am thinking of something else. Like if you run off a platform, hit ground and you start walking? cause I wouldn't care if my dash carried over from the platform it could add an extra nice thing but... you could be talking about something differently I can't really tell.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm against it. One of the most fundamental things in smash is that dashing/smashattacks/jumps/dropping through platforms are always done by "smash"ing the control stick, and the earliest thing you can learn to get better is the timing for when your character can do something again. In fact, one of the hardest things to learn is the right timing for dashing after an attack/landing instead of just walking, and I'd like it to stay difficult.
Yup. I fully agree.

Hey, how about not suggesting things that would nubify smash bros? K thx.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Hey, how about not suggesting things that would nubify smash bros? K thx.
Hey, how about considering the many players out there who really would rather play the game in a simple way than learn hundreds of advanced tricks which would somewhat defeat the purpose of playing for fun? K thx.

Just because it makes the game easier doesn't mean it's "noobifying" it. There can always be an options screen saying "okay, does P1 want dashsaving? Does P1 want X=shorthop? Does P1 want C-sticking? Does P1 want stickjumping?"

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
The "super hardcore players" need to remember that Brawl isn't being made for us. Its target audience is and has always been people who wanna pick up a crazy game and go nuts. That's why you have pokefloats and items in the game.

It bears remembering that the competitive players are a very slim minority. If they only cared about us, they would take out items and everything random from the game. They also would not sell very many copies.

Anything that makes it easier for a newbie to play will probably be considered positively.

The c-stick is considered by many to be the "newb stick" because it lets you smash with ease. I know people who never play videogames and do well in FFA because they have the opportunity to actually attack people without any coordination or practice. Friends of mine who never play videogames wind up loving Smash for the chaos.

So... "nubifying" Smash might make you cry, but the "super hardcore players" are not the main demographic. Don't forget that.

punisher47

Smash Journeyman
The "super hardcore players" need to remember that Brawl isn't being made for us. Its target audience is and has always been people who wanna pick up a crazy game and go nuts. That's why you have pokefloats and items in the game.

It bears remembering that the competitive players are a very slim minority. If they only cared about us, they would take out items and everything random from the game. They also would not sell very many copies.

Anything that makes it easier for a newbie to play will probably be considered positively.

The c-stick is considered by many to be the "newb stick" because it lets you smash with ease. I know people who never play videogames and do well in FFA because they have the opportunity to actually attack people without any coordination or practice. Friends of mine who never play videogames wind up loving Smash for the chaos.

So... "nubifying" Smash might make you cry, but the "super hardcore players" are not the main demographic. Don't forget that.

agreed. yeah they might put stuff in for the hardcore gamer to find example wavedash l cancel but the game is not for "us"

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Hey, how about considering the many players out there who really would rather play the game in a simple way than learn hundreds of advanced tricks which would somewhat defeat the purpose of playing for fun? K thx.

Just because it makes the game easier doesn't mean it's "noobifying" it. There can always be an options screen saying "okay, does P1 want dashsaving? Does P1 want X=shorthop? Does P1 want C-sticking? Does P1 want stickjumping?"
Oh yeah, being able to choose certain techs for your character, that sure would be a good idea... :ohwell:

See, the thing about players that don't play smash seriously, is that I don't them seriously and I don't think that this game should cater to them at all, since they have no idea how to play it in the first place.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Huh??? Not quite really understanding here... You just want to hold your control stick one way and keep it like that when landing on the ground that way you end up not tilting your control stick again??? Kinda stupid if you ask me...

One, you have to note that you have an opponent to face, if you keep your control stick tilted, you may as well run into your enemy without really realizing it... Two, something like that would probably have to cut land animation, and the physics wouldn't make sense if they did cut that out... Three, its better to get what you're already use to... Trying to get use to something very new will feel awkward...

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
bad idea IMO

I think it is a horrible idea. What if you didn't want to dash when you landed? What if you didn't want to perform a dash attack when you hit the ground, but rather a f-tilt?

Top Bottom