• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New mode ideas

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Tag-team mode?

With the animations that are already used to make each character arrive on stage at the start of a fight, some really cool tag-out options could be possible.

I picture a special attack or something being canceled into a trade out, where if we take mario's stage entry, a green pipe shoots up launching the hit character into the air and mario shoots up and out of the pipe to continue the combo, with the first character leaving in the pipe. Or captain falcon shoots up hitting the attacked character with his hover car, hopping out to continue the combo, and the first character leaves in the hover car.

Anyone know the likelihood of tag-team being in PM 3.0? Would that have been publicized more? Why hide it?
I`m sure a tag team mode could work, but something like this seems a little to impossible. How are they going to make it to where a gamemode will allow you to change a characters moves, make a move for every possible character combination possible, and keep it all balanced?

Sorry:(

Smash Apprentice
You don't change a characters moves, you change characters. Maybe I'm missing something but if the system can handle four players, it seems feasible it could load and extra two in a 1v1 match that could be switched out for.

The tag-in doesn't have to be about the character combo, it could just be specific to which character is tagging in, an "entry" attack if you will. One for each character, based on the animations already used for stage entry at the start of matches. The bare minimum that would need to added is hit boxes.

Balance is always hard, but since you are basically adding one move per character to the entire game, it should be possible to balance them.

Smash Apprentice
New controller inputs are possible, a lot of them. The switch could be done with A+B, A+Y, A+X, or basically any two other bottoms beside A+(L or R). Also there’s two jump buttons, one could do something else, not to mention using a direction on the d-pad. The controller is far from being maxed out in terms of it’s use in smash bros.

With one of these new inputs, you can ADD a move to a character without changing anything else.

Back to the D-pad, if it’s worth giving up taunts (maybe not for new samus), using the D-pad could give the switching attack direction, or one of the previous button-combinations plus a direction on the control-stick or c-stick. So many possibilities

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
New controller inputs are possible
And being the high ranking PMBR Member you are, you would know this.

Seriously, Turbo Mode is the only added mode made by the PMBR and all it is is changing how the item that corresponded to that specific mode that it replaced worked so there is no proof that they can make a mode you select in special brawl change or add attack data to all existing characters.

Smash Apprentice
I may sit on my high horse with no ground to stand on, but if the PMBR can add canceling/chaining (L-canceling isn't like canceling in other games like street fighter where normals cancel into specials) to a game with none previously, I bet they could figure out tag team. I don't know how to code, but it should be like making a 4-player match take place between two people. You load 4-characters, 2 of the loaded characters just do nothing and are off screen when not tagged in.

Also the mode doesn't have to add attack data, the mode just has to make the input work. The characters could always have the attack data throughout the game. We know from single-button-mode that mode can effect the controller, not sure about new inputs though.

I think there is evidence tag team could be done, all the elements are already in the game in my opinion. Do you have evidence it can't be done?

Though maybe they can't make new special brawls, but if they could...can? Or could they mode the non-special team battle mode?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Or could they modemod the non-special team battle mode?
Do you know how important team battles are to the competitive smash community? Are you seriously suggesting to remove an entire tourney in itself from Project M? Team battles has been in the game since Smash 64!
I may sit on my high horse with no ground to stand on, but if the PMBR can add canceling/chaining (L-canceling isn't like canceling in other games like street fighter where normals cancel into specials) to a game with none previously, I bet they could figure out tag team.
You do know that there was a code for that a LONG time ago right? Like, before Project M even started.
Also the mode doesn't have to add attack data, the mode just has to make the input work. The characters could always have the attack data throughout the game. We know from single-button-mode that mode can effect the controller, not sure about new inputs though.
What the h*** is single button mode?
I think there is evidence tag team could be done, all the elements are already in the game in my opinion. Do you have evidence it can't be done?
Well even if you can make a special mode change button inputs, please show me an example of a character being able to morph into another character (of different character data so Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer don`t count) mid-fight.

Smash Apprentice
Really? I keep saying adding not changing/removing, but you keep assuming otherwise. I like the game how it is, I just want more.

In team battles it could be another option. you can already cycle through team colors, I'd imagine you could add tag team to that cycle. Say player 1 is green, and player two is green tag-partner. In reality both Player 1 and Player 2 slots are player one. If you have 4 people, you could still do team battle the old fashioned way.

I didn't know canceling had been implemented before, but I still stand by what I said.

Single-button mode is a special melee, I never played it. It makes only A and the control stick work.

You are free to disagree but I think Zelda/Shiek and Pokemon Trainer support my idea more than they shoot it down. I can't believe I didn't think of them. Samus/zero suit also provide a great example to a trade in/out attack. All the elements I want seem to be in the game already.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Really? I keep saying adding not changing/removing, but you keep assuming otherwise. I like the game how it is, I just want more.
It's not possible to add more game modes without removing existing ones. IIRC, there's no free space in the Brawl data for game modes like the 7 free slots with the characters.

Single-button mode is a special melee, I never played it. It makes only A and the control stick work.
I also believe this got removed in the transition from Melee to Brawl. I haven't touched Special Brawl since '08 so I can't remember that one correctly.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
You are free to disagree but I think Zelda/Shiek and Pokemon Trainer support my idea more than they shoot it down. I can't believe I didn't think of them. Samus/zero suit also provide a great example to a trade in/out attack. All the elements I want seem to be in the game already.
Those characters were made specifically to be able to change into each other. It is perfectly possible to make C.F. change into Ganon, but that would be all your able to do until you went back into the code and made C.F. be able to change into some other character.

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't accurate before. I smash how it is, pre Brawl. If what you say is true HyperrCrow, they should nuke one of the boring game modes for this, or add this capability to team battle if that's feasible.

QQQQQQQ7777777, I'm not saying it's easy, but trading and transforming are different. I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. If you know what you are talking about, then power to you. I hope this is made and that it is refreshing and fun.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
this might be slightly off topic but i think it would be really awesome if you could tweak some settings like gravity in the options menu, just like with damage ratio, etc. you could tweak very specific things like a base KB multiple for example (shine with double base KB would be hilarious imho). damage ratio could be an ACTUAL damage ratio, reducing or increasing percent damage dealt rather than KB. perhaps an option to tweak start up/cool down time? 1/2 cool down on all moves for lulz. idk i'm just throwing out random ideas. i can't really think of much myself but perhaps you guys can.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Those characters were made specifically to be able to change into each other. It is perfectly possible to make C.F. change into Ganon, but that would be all your able to do until you went back into the code and made C.F. be able to change into some other character.
Dantarion was looking into tag team modes, the hacking wizard he is I'm sure he could figure it out

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
What does everyone think about adding improvements to Training Mode? Nowadays we have games like Skullgirls with savestate, recording opponents, hitbox viewing and all sorts of CPU block options. My jaw would hit the floor if P:M had better options for setting up practice situations, had computers that responded a certain way to attacks (powershield first hit, anyone?), had a hitbox viewer... basically give us more tools to train with! I'm also right there on adding a tutorial mode like Skullgirls', and I almost want to say see if you can commandeer some of the Event Matches for that even though I'm really looking forward to seeing what events will be added in the future.

Also while I'm at it, what about Masterpieces? Are they going to remove or extend the timers, or is that toeing the line too much? (Does anyone even play Masterpieces as-is any more?) I know there's a code out there for infinite time.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
yeah, a character specific training mode would be the bizness. you select the character in training mode, go to the bigass hyperbolic time chamber shown in the 3.0 reveal trailer, and you are given info about how to use your character efficiently.For example charizard would get a sandbag or dummy character with di that you can set (left right whatever) so when the game teaches you how to launch foes and chase them with his down b to kill them off the top you can react accordingly. or with lucario you're once again given a sandbag or dummy character so you can figure out your own OHC strings at varying percents, how to counter your opponents CC, or SDI efforts. and a way to set the stamina cap for stamina mode as high as we prefer, beyond 300hp, straight up to 999hp if desired with stocks of course. tag team mode needs to be a thing, please become a thing

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Tag-team mode?

With the animations that are already used to make each character arrive on stage at the start of a fight, some really cool tag-out options could be possible.

I picture a special attack or something being canceled into a trade out, where if we take mario's stage entry, a green pipe shoots up launching the hit character into the air and mario shoots up and out of the pipe to continue the combo, with the first character leaving in the pipe. Or captain falcon shoots up hitting the attacked character with his hover car, hopping out to continue the combo, and the first character leaves in the hover car.

Anyone know the likelihood of tag-team being in PM 3.0? Would that have been publicized more? Why hide it?
dantarion said he knows how to force the game to load other characters mid game, but has to get around some issues with it first
I doubt PMBR wouldn't advertise it if they got it working, and considering it was less than a month ago that dantarion mentioned it offhandedly, i doubt it'll be in 3.0

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
dantarion said he knows how to force the game to load other characters mid game, but has to get around some issues with it first
I doubt PMBR wouldn't advertise it if they got it working, and considering it was less than a month ago that dantarion mentioned it offhandedly, i doubt it'll be in 3.0
I agree. It's pretty much impossible to say. Maybe in the final version or some separate hack add on, but probably not otherwise.

XA-tan

Smash Rookie
What does everyone think about adding improvements to Training Mode? Nowadays we have games like Skullgirls with savestate, recording opponents, hitbox viewing and all sorts of CPU block options. My jaw would hit the floor if P:M had better options for setting up practice situations, had computers that responded a certain way to attacks (powershield first hit, anyone?), had a hitbox viewer... basically give us more tools to train with! I'm also right there on adding a tutorial mode like Skullgirls', and I almost want to say see if you can commandeer some of the Event Matches for that even though I'm really looking forward to seeing what events will be added in the future.
I'd really like to see something like this. I was actually thinking about just a mode where you play normally, but all of the hurtboxes/hitboxes/invincibility are visible in real-time.

Top Bottom