• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New mindgame/AT, maybe?

BloodFire

Smash Rookie
I was playing my link and I was thinking, what if say you had a bomb in your hand, dashing toward your opponent. The opponent thinks "Hey he's going to throw it, so I'll just shield, easy." but then you stop right in front of him and throw it on the ground (damaging you and possibly the opponent) or maybe if you shield correctly, you can be shielded from the blast, and the opponent is damaged. But if you do get hit it, link is so heavy, that he hits the ground almost immediately, recovering in seconds. This could lead to a charged forward smash, Utilt, Usmash? When you get to higher percentages you can actually land an aerial. Say a kirby is at 0% and you are at 85%, you down throw a bomb, damage yourself and smack a down aerial on him. I found that if your opponent is facing left, and you use a bomb while behind him and facing the opposite direction, you will actually DI with your opponent, depending on the percentage.

I just thought of this today, so feel free to test it out.

Am I just spitting air or am I on to something? ::ohwell:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I would imagine Z-dropped bombs would be better if you wanted to do something along those lines. You would get the opponent hurt by the bomb, and you wouldn't take the damage, while you could still go in and do an aerial or something. Also, even if you managed to pull this off, it would be a once in a few matches kinda thing, as it would get incredibly predictable. The opponent could predict it, and you would get the 8%~9% damage, and then you would get punished--depending on the character it could put you in a really bad position...especially with Link's recovery. There are so many more useful things you could do with bombs then that, it really isn't that great of a strategy.

Also, if the opponent had decent timing, he could PS the bomb and then you would get hurt, while the opponent can do anything they want to you. Sorry, but this doesn't seem to great. That's just me though, other people might think different.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How is this an AT? :confused:

It's a mindgame, and it really isn't worth it, on the count of you're ASSURED damage to yourself, while the opponent could mindgame YOU into thinking he was getting close to you, then he would hold shield in an attempt to shieldgrab you... Leading to you throwing the bomb down trying to hit both of you, ending up in just you taking the damage, and now you are airborne.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Well, uh, you can bombslide dthrow as you rush the opponent.

But, uh, the hitstun/hitlag of bombs is too long for the kind of follow ups you're implying. However kudos for applying yourself and trying to find something. I would expirement if I were you, seeing the effects of solid DI.
Btw, it would be the opposite in the Kirby situation. The less damage you have, the less hitlag you deal with. A Kirby with 85% would definitely fly further, but would be able to attack/jump again later than you.

A better strategy is the fake out/ forward bombslide. You throw the bomb and it hits the opponent. While they are still in hitstun, you can fsmash them. Thank you bombs for your extra long hitstun!
However you have to have some spacing to do it, so be careful you don't get caught in the blast yourself.
Besides that though, you can dash, then SH zair w/ bomb in hand, shield to stop your dash, then turn and bombsmash as the opponent rolls around you/shields, FH dthrow to bombstoollock, SH invincibomb, ZAC, etc. Because of all the ATs associated with bombs anyway, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding an alternate strategy for approach, if you really need to be approaching at all.

Again good job! Test this out!

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
i don't think this counts as an AT. but it's definitely a mindgame.....i mean the enemy doesn't expect you to hit yourself and then expose an opening. lol jk. seriously though there are better things to do than this but good try.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see this as anything more than the most basic type of bomb use. I might even go as far as to call it not a mindgame, so much as just keeping yourself less predictable and your opponent guessing.

hambread

Smash Apprentice
i dont think bombing yourself is a good idea cuz your opponents can keep their shield up and you get bombed.
but braking( just outside their grab range preferably) is a good idea tho. gives you more options like bombsmashing, shield pressuring or slide-upthrow to brake and grab them while they're shielding.

Top Bottom