• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New matches of my Diddy.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So..these were recorded the night I posted the other ones...so I had still only been playing for about a day >_>. I still didn't know what barrlespiking was ect.

Hylian(Diddy) vs AustinRC(Wario):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx7UZCoK2WU

In this match he kept beating me when I was relying on bananas...so I just stoped for this match to see how it would turn out lol.

Hylian(Diddy) vs AustinRC(Marth):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX2K7g1rIpo

Hylian(Diddy) vs Rayzorium(MetaKnight):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4rD3MfRxGY

Advice and comments would be good :).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Isn't barrelspiking just using your up b to spike someone? o_O If so, I'm surprised you didn't know that XD

I never stay up to date with all these terms, haha.

EDIT: Boy, that Wario coulda been better XD

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Isn't barrelspiking just using your up b to spike someone? o_O If so, I'm surprised you didn't know that XD

I never stay up to date with all these terms, haha.
I didn't know ANYTHING about diddy when I started messing around with him lol.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, these videos are sorta how my Diddy plays, leaves a lot to be desired when compared to Ninjalink XD We dash attack way too much after banana throws, and don't grab enough, imo... but it's hard to break the habit.

BTW, where in Austin do you live (I'm in Round Rock)?

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Dang you timed the Marth KO's just perfectly. I want to edgehog like that. How long did it take you to learn how to do that?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
K, after watching them all, my only advice (since I'm hardly the pinnacle of Diddy), is that you should mix in some Diddy Humps and Kung Fu Kicks into your game, it helps to mix it up and keep the pressure on them.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
• First set
0:53 - This was the only minor quibble I had. Here, your cartwheel approach misses as a result of a spot-dodge, but you were still in position to punish Wario as soon as his hurt-boxes reappeared with an U-smash for a free 16% (or any number of other things, including U-tilt to an aerial, D-smash, or even a D-tilt spam). A lot of Diddy mains don't seem to be very fond of U-smash due to its subpar knockback, but its lack of frequency obviously makes it a great damage builder where D-smash is too far out of range to connect and where F-smash is too slow to capitalize on your opponents' small windows of lag.

Other than that, you really benefit from your usually patient and deliberate style on Battlefield; the platforms really impede Diddy's ability to seize control the stage, but your restrained banana play didn't seem to backfire on you once.

That Wario, however, really could use a little work.

• Second set
1:00 - Pretty much the same as the above, except there seem to be a lot more whiffed cartwheels and a general over-reliance on dash-attacking. When it's divorced from the free openings that bananas create, the dash attack becomes a very predictable and punishable approach, and it'll be only a matter of time before people you play just start blocking it and shield-grabbing it. Luckily, your keen edge-hogging sensibilities really stifled Marth's momentum, but this could have easily been a very different story without those gimp kills.

Of course, the dilemma here is that - outside of bananas - Diddy doesn't really have any other approach that's either as safe of viable. I personally love to D-tilt, so when I'm not relying on bananas, I'm usually trying to space a stutter-step into a roll behind my opponents to try to squeeze off 3 or 4 D-tilts. The quick, long, snap-like nature of Diddy's initial dash frames really makes this a breeze to space, and it's great for baiting (non-ranged) smash attacks. Admitedly, this isn't always foolproof, and it isn't meant to be the ultimate answer to the further diversification of Diddy's approaches, but it's food for thought.

• Third set
I know you ended up walking away with the first stock, but Final Destination is - in my opinion - Diddy's best stage for obvious reasons. Measured aggression and general banana placement and awareness here would have easily kept you more ahead and in control. You definitely wised up pretty quick by MK's second stock, and I can only assume that the sheer presence of so many moving bananas really kept that MK cornered and his options limited. Nice job.

The other thing is that I've noticed you like to go for big money and go for D-air spikes whenever opportunity arises. =) That's all fine and dandy, but as demonstrated in this match, you'll almost always be invariably punished by a more aggressive, virtually ungimpable MK. For floaty characters with long recoveries, I favor a different edge-guarding strategy: the use of all my projectiles. Launch off differently-arced peanuts (assuming you have time for more than one), and then mix it up by RARing (preferably with a full jump) into a banana toss and smash banana toss directly off the ledge (or vice versa). This really forces recovering opponents into limited or outright bad decision-making, and I can't tell you how many more successful spikes I managed to walk away with this way.

All in all, for a Diddy that's just a few scant days old, I'm hella impressed. I've seen better Warios, Marths and MKs, but I'm going to give your friends the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to the very real possibility that they're not acclimated with Diddy's banana play yet. Just be wary of that.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah, these videos are sorta how my Diddy plays, leaves a lot to be desired when compared to Ninjalink XD We dash attack way too much after banana throws, and don't grab enough, imo... but it's hard to break the habit.

BTW, where in Austin do you live (I'm in Round Rock)?
I live in RoundRock as well actually. You should come to my tournament on the 16th :). Look at the southwest boards for info.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
• First set
0:53 - This was the only minor quibble I had. Here, your cartwheel approach misses as a result of a spot-dodge, but you were still in position to punish Wario as soon as his hurt-boxes reappeared with an U-smash for a free 16% (or any number of other things, including U-tilt to an aerial, D-smash, or even a D-tilt spam). A lot of Diddy mains don't seem to be very fond of U-smash due to its subpar knockback, but its lack of frequency obviously makes it a great damage builder where D-smash is too far out of range to connect and where F-smash is too slow to capitalize on your opponents' small windows of lag.

Other than that, you really benefit from your usually patient and deliberate style on Battlefield; the platforms really impede Diddy's ability to seize control the stage, but your restrained banana play didn't seem to backfire on you once.

That Wario, however, really could use a little work.

• Second set
1:00 - Pretty much the same as the above, except there seem to be a lot more whiffed cartwheels and a general over-reliance on dash-attacking. When it's divorced from the free openings that bananas create, the dash attack becomes a very predictable and punishable approach, and it'll be only a matter of time before people you play just start blocking it and shield-grabbing it. Luckily, your keen edge-hogging sensibilities really stifled Marth's momentum, but this could have easily been a very different story without those gimp kills.

Of course, the dilemma here is that - outside of bananas - Diddy doesn't really have any other approach that's either as safe of viable. I personally love to D-tilt, so when I'm not relying on bananas, I'm usually trying to space a stutter-step into a roll behind my opponents to try to squeeze off 3 or 4 D-tilts. The quick, long, snap-like nature of Diddy's initial dash frames really makes this a breeze to space, and it's great for baiting (non-ranged) smash attacks. Admitedly, this isn't always foolproof, and it isn't meant to be the ultimate answer to the further diversification of Diddy's approaches, but it's food for thought.

• Third set
I know you ended up walking away with the first stock, but Final Destination is - in my opinion - Diddy's best stage for obvious reasons. Measured aggression and general banana placement and awareness here would have easily kept you more ahead and in control. You definitely wised up pretty quick by MK's second stock, and I can only assume that the sheer presence of so many moving bananas really kept that MK cornered and his options limited. Nice job.

The other thing is that I've noticed you like to go for big money and go for D-air spikes whenever opportunity arises. =) That's all fine and dandy, but as demonstrated in this match, you'll almost always be invariably punished by a more aggressive, virtually ungimpable MK. For floaty characters with long recoveries, I favor a different edge-guarding strategy: the use of all my projectiles. Launch off differently-arced peanuts (assuming you have time for more than one), and then mix it up by RARing (preferably with a full jump) into a banana toss and smash banana toss directly off the ledge (or vice versa). This really forces recovering opponents into limited or outright bad decision-making, and I can't tell you how many more successful spikes I managed to walk away with this way.

All in all, for a Diddy that's just a few scant days old, I'm hella impressed. I've seen better Warios, Marths and MKs, but I'm going to give your friends the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to the very real possibility that they're not acclimated with Diddy's banana play yet. Just be wary of that.
Wow, thanks a ton :). This is great advice.

null55

Smash Master
Hylian... who is your best character >_> ...

G&W?
I heard you stomped some MKs in Florida with 'em.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I live in RoundRock as well actually. You should come to my tournament on the 16th :). Look at the southwest boards for info.
I'll add you to AIM to keep up to date with this stuff in the future (and maybe set up some friendlies). Won't be able to make this, though, have finals for some of my summer session college courses as well as work, perhaps the next one.

On topic: You did pretty well on Bfield considering the fact that the platforms are a nuisance for Diddy's banana game.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian... who is your best character >_> ...

G&W?
I heard you stomped some MKs in Florida with 'em.
Yeah, I beat a bunch of MKs in tournament and in MM's >_>.

I would say G&W and ICs are my best characters.

IDK

Smash Lord
the reason for him punishing you for relying on bananas is that you have to learn to control them. you did pretty well though. just a note. :)

Top Bottom