• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mario Technique?

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
Hi guys! I was playing melee and I figured out something cool. Note that I'm not 100% sure that this is completely new, but I felt it was worth sharing.

U all know what the vuududash is? For those who don't know, it's when you wavedash off a platform and use a fireball mid air to keep the momentum of the wavedash (a luigi technique). (One of the melee luigi guides goes more in depth). Basically, I wondered what would happen if I tried this with Mario, and something interesting happened.

When Luigi does it, he tosses the fireball in the direction he faces when he is in mid air. When Mario does it, he not only keeps the momentum of his wavedash, but he automatically does a reverse fireball. I kid u not, it's garunteed to happen. I'm not inputting any reverse fireball mid air, but doing the exact input as the vuududash. I think it could be an interesting approach that the opponent won't expect, or maybe a mix up to edge guarding.

However, if Mario is positioned more towards the center or further from where u want to do this on the platform, he'll slow down and do a really tight regular fireball. I feel like if u can do both versions, it would confuse ur opponent. They are also really good setups in general.

I haven't tried this against every character (only a lvl1 fox). Edge guarding this way doesn't seem like the best option against spacies, but maybe against sheik, Marth, captain falcon, and maybe more. I also haven't tried it on doc, heck I'm curious what would happen if I tried this on every character.

Overall, the important thing here is that Mario does a reverse fireball automatically. I can't wait to explore this further and see how useful it really is.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
That's not quite what a vududash is. For a vududash you start the fireball when you are still on the ground. If you fireball in the air you will do a reverse fireball but won't preserve momentum.

Doc and mario can vududash in a way, but they don't go any further then if they just wave dashed off. Luigi is different as he stops abruptly when wding off without vududashing.

To give some specifics you will reverse pill/fireball if you throw one within 20 frames of the first airdodge land frame, and are airborne. If you throw one either when you are still grounded or after those 20 frames, you will throw one forwards. Of course to perform a vududash you must still be grounded after the wave dashes 10 lag frames.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
My bad. I had a feeling this wasn't a discovery. Nonetheless I found it interesting, and I think it could be really helpful for Mario and Doc (luigi not as much).

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I'm the one who wrote the luigi guide :D

I think you might have done a B-turnaround as you left the platform. and of course this could be useful.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I'm the one who wrote the luigi guide :D

I think you might have done a B-turnaround as you left the platform. and of course this could be useful.
Cool! I probably did that, but I know I only pressed B without directional input after I wavedashed. I know for a fact I did that as I've tested it with every character now.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Ok I figured it out. It's a B-reversal, its the control stick angle of the wavedash that causes it.

I was wrong in saying that it's 20 frames from the first airdodge land frame. It's actually 20 frames from when you input the wd angle on the control stick. Which makes sense as that is what a B=reversal is, press back then within 20 frames use neutral-B.

You can test this out yourself. Go on a platform then crouch and angle the stick backwards, then with that angle do a wavedash and throw the fireball when you are airbourne. Don't do it fast, the point is to of held that angle for about 20 frames before you wd.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Ok I figured it out. It's a B-reversal, its the control stick angle of the wavedash that causes it.

I was wrong in saying that it's 20 frames from the first airdodge land frame. It's actually 20 frames from when you input the wd angle on the control stick. Which makes sense as that is what a B=reversal is, press back then within 20 frames use neutral-B.

You can test this out yourself. Go on a platform then crouch and angle the stick backwards, then with that angle do a wavedash and throw the fireball when you are airbourne. Don't do it fast, the point is to of held that angle for about 20 frames before you wd.
Why does everyone confuse a B-reversal with a B-turnaround.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
There is still so much I can improve on in melee, and even new tech to discover. I'm no where near bored of it yet. Besides I don't own a wii u and the 3ds controls really sucked.

Even when I get bored of melee, I'd probably move onto PM before I took 4 seriously.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
A B-turnaround Just turns you around, and is inputted before you do your neutral B.

A b-reversal is not in Melee or 64. It completely reverses your momentum and turns you around, and is inputted after you use your Neutral B.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
People also seem to confuse wave bouncing with them to, since its a combination of the 2. now I am sad you cant do this is Melee ; ;

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
So wait, what is the difference between a wavebounce and a b-reversal? I've been thinking of them as pretty much the same thing, am I wrong?

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
So wait, what is the difference between a wavebounce and a b-reversal? I've been thinking of them as pretty much the same thing, am I wrong?
Different inputs and possibly location of where ur doing it, but the same objective.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
A wavebounce is reversing your momentum, while not turning your direction. To perform it, you have to do a B-turnaround and a B-reversal. This is not in melee, but I bet the people at SD Remix might be considering it, they're giving RAR to certain characters

Last edited:
Top Bottom