• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Main

FatesDesire

Smash Rookie
Alright this is my first time on anykind of Brawl forum so flame if i do sumthing noobish/ wrong... alright well i have had brawl since the first day it came and and have been a mediocre player since then... but i would like to up my game and become actually GOOD . I currently dont have a main fighter and i would like to know who i should pick. im planning on looking up all guides and faqs on the character and will try my best to become a pro. So any opinions on who i should use and please give a reason why you think so =) thanx alot

~Fate

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

FatesDesire

Smash Rookie
Sadly my fav nintendo char isnt in this game... ( megaman ftw? ).. and my favorites to play as are Lucas and Marth.. should i keep on getting better with those 2?? or should i pick 1 ?

T-major

Smash Champion
you should use the characters you like. either for their personality, the fact that you like the series they come from, or simply because you like there moves in Brawl. I don't think it's right to pick your character based on what other people tell you. Brawl is pretty balanced, so pretty much any character can be used competitively if you try hard enough to master them.

so. my advice would be to try out a bunch of characters and try to find one who feels right. it might take a while, (hell. I didn't find my Melee main until about a year and a half before Brawl came out.) but you'll find your main eventually... and when you do... oh man... it's magical...

FatesDesire

Smash Rookie
ok thanx guys... i think ima do all-star mode with all the characters and choose who i had the most fun with =)

iLike2EatPiez

Smash Rookie
Test different characters out in Classic or Training modes, and try to pick someone with a fighting style you like. That or pick a favorite and practice. When I first started playing Smash Bros I used characters I liked for their own games. Then I started experimenting and found out that I liked a few others from games I'd never even played. Eventually, it'll probably come down to one/two/a few that seem to really fit with you. Just give it some time and don't worry too much about it; some people don't even have a single specified main, and that's fine too.

SHined BLind

Smash Apprentice
Don't pick a main two soon. Just play as characters you like until you figure out for yourself who works best for you. To be honest, I play using: Marth, Ike, Pikachu, Wolf, Falco, Fox, Shek, and Wind Waker Link. Ganondorf's my most likely main 'cause he's teh awesomest. There's a little more to discover about each character than you think.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

mzink*

Smash Ace
marth is a good choice, he is one of the only characters i have trouble brawling against. use him wisely and you'll be one heck of a challenge for anyone. but dont be afraid to switch it up if you need to, if you feel youre in a funk with marth, test someone new just to take a break from him. if you come across a character that is tough for you to beat as marth, use that character for a while to familiarize yourself with its strengths and weaknesses. good solid choice, good luck.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sadly my fav nintendo char isnt in this game... ( megaman ftw? ).. and my favorites to play as are Lucas and Marth.. should i keep on getting better with those 2?? or should i pick 1 ?
But wait.. Megaman...isnt... a Nintendo character....

So who's your favorite Nintendo character?

lilvietkoi

Smash Cadet
This is in my honest opinion and actually how i did it. Playing in classic and training mode won't be doing much. Grab a friend who is also trying to figure out his/her main and wouldn't mind playing a few hours with you. Pretty much, brawl with them 1v1 with each and every character that interests you for 2-3 matches. The interests could be about looks, a certain move, a favorite, someone else's favorite, a counter to some else's favorite, or just because someone reccomended it to you. Say you chose 15 characters and played with them all... now is the time to filter them out to say... 10. Then 7. Then 5. then 3. Once you have 3, just keep playing in matches with your friend over and over. Try to use every single move, whether or not you think it is useful or not. Eventually, you might learn to love or hate those three and can then subsitute in more characters.

I'm stuck at 5 characters. It's really boring sometimes when you're just playing for fun with friends but only use one character forever.... you know? And all characters have their weakesses, so try to play a variety. Also, choose characters that suit the certain play style that you like. Do you like spamming projectiles? Do you like being grounded and going in for heavy smash attacks? Do you like going in the air and juggling/spiking a lot? What counts the most in my opinion is that eventually when you decide on your chracters, do not decide on the B attacks whether or not to keep the character. You should be comfortable with the character as a whole and the B attacks are just special attacks that aid in your hand to hand combat. For instance, Wario's attacks may not be the greatest of the greatest, but you should not avoid him just because his B attacks seem out of wack... the only logical reason to avoid and not use him is because you can not control him as a character, do not like certain attacks as it prevents you from doing so and so...

On a side note, the characters that i am reccomending are characters with suited for easy to average learning curves. Certain characters for fast learning curves are Pikachu, Kirby and fox as they are, im opinion, the most reliable and average of B attacks, smash attacks, aerial, and grabs as well as speed, recovrery and power. If you need to work on your recovery, Kirby, metaknight, pit, and peach is where it is at. For learning to play quick and fast games, Pit, fox, and marth. Characters for aerial combat consists of Ness, Toon Link, ROB, marth, Luigi, and jigglypuff. Characters with a big arsenal of projectiles to utilize for all situations are Link, Toon Link, Ness, Lucas, ROB, Snake, and Samus. Tricky/hard learning curve characters are Snake, King Dedede, Pokemon Trainer and diddy Kong.

I hope i helped you in your search of the MAIN.

Top Bottom