• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Link Tech to do grounded glide tossing

J3f

Smash Cadet
I was messing around in training to see if it was possible to do an aerial glide toss during a wave dash (unfortunately no) when I discovered how to make Link do grounded glide tossing.

By short hopping and then doing an immediate horizontal aerial glide toss, just as Link is about to leave the ground, you can actually move up to 1 and 1/4 (training room) spaces. I call this Technique SHAGing (Short Hop Aerial Glide). This technique is very timing specific, if you do the aerial glide toss too early you won't get the full amount of movement. If you do the aerial glide toss too late you get more distance (up to 2 and 1/4 spaces), but aren't considered grounded throughout the toss.

SHAGing a few frames after Link has left the ground is actually more useful, because you still land before Link tosses out the bomb, and there isn't any landing lag.

So what can you do with these new moves? Safe point blank bomb tosses. By doing a backward reverse glide toss (backward dodge, forward throw) you can toss out a bomb at your opponent without getting caught in the explosion or throwing it past them. You can also use it to slide off an edge and even toss the bomb downwards off the stage as an edge guard.

Video:
Notes: I also tested this out with the other characters that can generate Items.

Peach: The grounded SHAG is inferior to her regular glide toss, but the late SHAG has more distance though takes longer due to Peach's floatiness.

Toon Link: Can do both a lot easier than Link can.

Diddy Kong: SHAGs only a short distance, could probably be used to keep spacing. Very easy to do with Diddy Kong.

R.O.B.: Seems impossible to do either version, because his jump comes out so fast.

I also found that doing horizontal aerial dodges immediately after short hop then canceling the aerial dodge with Zair gave link an insane amount of mobility, about as fast as Captain Falcon's run speed. To get the most out of it you have to air dodge as quickly as possible as soon as Link is considered in the air, then hold the dodge until just before Link starts spinning faster and tap Z. If done properly you shouldn't hear the clank sound of the claw-shot. The timing is very tight, but even if it isn't done perfectly, Link still moves very quickly. If done perfectly Link can move 10 spaces(1 purple line to the next) in 2 hops. The one downside is that the Clawshot loses all it's range when doing this. If your going use this as an approach mix in some regular Zair's and tether throws (the clawshot has some surprising range) to keep the opponent guessing.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I do this sometimes as diddy, in general its inferior to just a glide toss for diddy, but I really like the application and possible options it gives link.

I like the acronym too, finally an AGT tech that actually rolls of the tongue.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
I really like the edge guarding aspect, given that it could stage spike if done properly. I would like to see how an opponent could react to it, though. Good DI could actually make this work AGAINST you in the long run, just as good DI on bomb recovery does the same. Safely tossing a bomb at point blank range is pretty cool. The amount of knock back on bombs in P:M could make this a very effective tool against enemies that like to get in close. I give it an A+
A for usage
+ for the name

Top Bottom