• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New King Dedede footage

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
This looks like his new Back-air. Why do they keep changing his back-air?

DC94C9C8-6A7C-494C-AC2A-B719FDD2620F.gif

Sorry that the gif is sideways. I’m doing this from my phone.

Icarus Nocturne

Smash Rookie
NNID
IcarusNocturne
3DS FC
2363-5661-9383
Outside of his back air, I'm not seeing any real major game changers for the King.
I want to say he may be able to act out of his moves faster but everyone kind of got that buff going for them so I wouldn't really consider it a point for the King. Until we get our hands on the game tho, we can't prove jack.
One thing to note was that his gordo stood out a bit longer than normal at around :56 seconds.
D Throw also sends them infront of D3 instead of above. DThrow into Fair is easier to do now but I believe DThrow to Uair is dead as a door nail.
His back air looks pretty sweet. Thats about it.

I want to be wrong but the way I see it now, we're keeping our throne in low tier.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I wish Dedede had his Brawl moves. He was at his prime. Even though I’m going to main someone else, Dedede will always be in my pocket no matter what. No matter how bad I want to change using him. He’s just too easy to use.

Edit: I did see another move I’m gonna gif later on that was interesting. I don’t know what it is, but it looks like a side kick like in Brawl, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Isn't that just the same Bair as Sm4sh? Like, it's significant;y faster but it looks the same to me.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So he can act out of his moves faster, new confirms.
Gordo travels faster
Isn't that just the same Bair as Sm4sh? Like, it's significant;y faster but it looks the same to me.
New bair is more consistant with the animation, and better since his hurtbox won't hit the ground if he's hovering
He jumps faster
Less landing lag on normal landings, fast falls, dair.
Nair seems to come out faster and acts as a combo breaker
Less end lag on up air, confirms into nair?
He can move around while in the nair animation more
Less ending lag on f-tilt, dash attack, nair, fair
His jumps have a greater vertical range

Buffed AF. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up C or B tier with his new toolkit.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Quick note: Everyone's jumpsquat has been reduced to 3f, and landing lag/recovery has been reduced for aerials all across the board (especially short-hopped ones). Nice universal changes that really bode well for Dedede.

Everything else more or less stacks up with findings elsewhere (some might be placebo, especially on the recovery/endlag of his normals, hard to conclusively say anything rn), but you forgot to mention:

- Up-Air has more range and killing power.

- Not only can Dedede spit his own Gordos back, but he can also inhale and spit back other characters' projectiles as well. Only downside is he can't hold on to them, they're immediately spit back out.

- Fair has a slightly wider arcing hitbox.

I'll see if I can make some gifs later and show some of these changes off.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
No, it’s not. It looks like it’s spinning in a circle more Instead of swinging it behind him.

PlasmaStar2401

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlasmaStar24O1
mixed feels about the new bair animation. somehow doesn't feel as powerful as the smash 4 animation. do we have any clear idea of how different the hitbox is?

Ag47

Smash Rookie
mixed feels about the new bair animation. somehow doesn't feel as powerful as the smash 4 animation. do we have any clear idea of how different the hitbox is?
If you look at the actual hitbox for the Sm4sh Bair you'll see that the animation doesn't match it very much. The new animation, where his hammer is sent straight behind him, is a more honest representation of Smash 4's hitboxes. In all likelihood the hitbox wasn't changed much, if at all, from smash 4.

On a side note, I do agree that it doesn't feel as "meaty" as it did in smash 4 tho xD

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you look at the actual hitbox for the Sm4sh Bair you'll see that the animation doesn't match it very much. The new animation, where his hammer is sent straight behind him, is a more honest representation of Smash 4's hitboxes. In all likelihood the hitbox wasn't changed much, if at all, from smash 4.

On a side note, I do agree that it doesn't feel as "meaty" as it did in smash 4 tho xD
Is that because it's faster and has less hitlag?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Do we know what his blog post meant by hovering? Is it just describing his regular jumps, or can he hover like Peach and Daisy?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
No, it’s not. It looks like it’s spinning in a circle more Instead of swinging it behind him.
The animation being slightly altered doesnt make it a different bair, as has been pointed out it actually is changed to match the Sm4sh bair more accurately (excluding the game wide air-game/speed buffs)

Ag47

Smash Rookie
Yes. His bair in Smash 4 could kill, and while this one still probably has equal or greater KO power, the animation just doesn't seem as....satisfying.
I think this "nerf" to the move's looks is a byproduct of the buffs to the move's frame data. Since it comes out faster there isn't as much of a wind-up to it.
edit: Didn't see Mogisthelioma's post, he said it first!

Do we know what his blog post meant by hovering? Is it just describing his regular jumps, or can he hover like Peach and Daisy?
Hover is just the name of Kirby and Dedede's multijump ability.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think this "nerf" to the move's looks is a byproduct of the buffs to the move's frame data. Since it comes out faster there isn't as much of a wind-up to it.
edit: Didn't see Mogisthelioma's post, he said it first!
At the end of the day, King Dedede finally got all of the buffs he deserved. The only move I can't tell if it's been buffed is his down smash.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm kind of concerned that Dedede is still rather weak in the damage dealing department.

The image above showed Dedede dealing 11.5% damage with his down smash, but what I don't know is if it's fresh, or if the damage dealt got reduced by stale moves. Regardless of what's involved though, it's clear that the down smash still feels too weak (it dealt 13% damage in Smash 3DS / Wii U), and should've gotten a damage buff.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm kind of concerned that Dedede is still rather weak in the damage dealing department.

The image above showed Dedede dealing 11.5% damage with his down smash, but what I don't know is if it's fresh, or if the damage dealt got reduced by stale moves. Regardless of what's involved though, it's clear that the down smash still feels too weak (it dealt 13% damage in Smash 3DS / Wii U), and should've gotten a damage buff.
The damage nerf is fine, since the frame data was improved.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Still, for a hammer that heavy, I would've expected it to actually hit hard, though not at the same levels as the forward smash; it hits sooner, so the damage dealt would have to be lower.
I guess that's true, but remember that D smash isn't that good of an option anyway. It should only be used when the opponent is around kill percent. Down tilt/ f tilt//tab is usually better.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess that's true, but remember that D smash isn't that good of an option anyway. It should only be used when the opponent is around kill percent. Down tilt/ f tilt//tab is usually better.
That does depend on its KO potential though. I'm concerned that the d-smash will struggle to KO even the lightweights until they pass the 100% damage mark; if it takes that long to KO a lightweight, then think about how much damage you'd have to deal to a heavyweight before the d-smash can start KOing.

Dedede is a heavyweight who uses a heavy hammer, so seeing the d-smash deal less than 12% damage felt like a red card saying that he's going to be underpowered again. We've already seen how hard Smash 3DS / Wii U hit Dedede, and I fear that he won't fare much better in Ultimate, regardless of the new mechanics that he has received.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That does depend on its KO potential though. I'm concerned that the d-smash will struggle to KO even the lightweights until they pass the 100% damage mark; if it takes that long to KO a lightweight, then think about how much damage you'd have to deal to a heavyweight before the d-smash can start KOing.

Dedede is a heavyweight who uses a heavy hammer, so seeing the d-smash deal less than 12% damage felt like a red card saying that he's going to be underpowered again. We've already seen how hard Smash 3DS / Wii U hit Dedede, and I fear that he won't fare much better in Ultimate, regardless of the new mechanics that he has received.
Well, it was either make him less laggy or give him more power to compensate for the lag, and evidently Dedede has chosen the "more speed" route to improve most of his moves.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Down smash is only one move that got a trade off of damage versus speed. Look at all of his other abilities. Dedede now has multiple follow ups/chains to single attacks that don't involve hard reads or his crazy footstool combo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom