• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I know everyone thinks an ARMS character is a given, but we may not get one until DLC. Or maybe we'll only get an Assist Trophy. ARMS is in the same situation as the first Splatoon game back when Smash 4 was coming out. So I don't know.

However it hurts to know that if we do get a character it will be Spring Man or, if we get lucky, Ribbon Girl. The rest of the cast is so much better. Min Min, Master Mummy, Mechanica, Max Brass or Dr. Coyle would be so much better. The only one who has a slight chance of making it is Twintelle.

Morbi

Scavenger
I know everyone thinks an ARMS character is a given, but we may not get one until DLC. Or maybe we'll only get an Assist Trophy. ARMS is in the same situation as the first Splatoon game back when Smash 4 was coming out. So I don't know.

However it hurts to know that if we do get a character it will be Spring Man or, if we get lucky, Ribbon Girl. The rest of the cast is so much better. Min Min, Master Mummy, Mechanica, Max Brass or Dr. Coyle would be so much better. The only one who has a slight chance of making it is Twintelle.
Not necessarily, the DLC was heavily focused on third-party characters and veterans. Corrin was more or less established by Nintendo. Beyond that, Splatoon took the plunge for Nintendo, it proved that Nintendo could make compelling IP and multiplayer games. It did the heavy lifting and to that end, Arms can reap the benefits. So I do not really believe it is in the same situation and even if it were, I still believe it is guaranteed for DLC. The way they showed Inklings even before MARIO OR LINK speaks volumes, to me.

Beyond that, I disagree, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the best. :awesome:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say the veterans were water testing and Corrin & the 3rd parties were the plunge. Let's see how much that paid off.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I absolutely support! I think any of the ARMS fighters would make a great addition! I reached Rank 16 in ARMS before dipping back to 15 and moving on to other games, but I really enjoyed it. Maybe I'll go back someday...I mained Spring Man, Twintelle, and Lola.

Morbi

Scavenger
I absolutely support! I think any of the ARMS fighters would make a great addition! I reached Rank 16 in ARMS before dipping back to 15 and moving on to other games, but I really enjoyed it. Maybe I'll go back someday...I mained Spring Man, Twintelle, and Lola.
That is honestly the best part, even though Spring Man is the obvious choice, they could literally go with anyone. They are all quite unique, design wise and the main gimmick of the game applies to the entire Arms roster.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
I like the idea of having Spring Man and Ribbon girl sharing one character slot. 4 skins for Spring and 4 skins for Ribbon. I would say have 1 skin for each character, but given the size (Mummy, Mecha) or the physics (Byte/Barq, Helix) of how some characters are in the actual Arms game; I think it's best to just half the skins among Spring and Ribbon.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm honestly picturing Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as a Melee Marth/Roy situation where they share a lot of animations but Ribbon Girl has different ARMS, doesn't power up when high damage and can't neutralise projectiles (Spring Man's powers) but has multiple jumps and a really fast fast-fall.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I'm honestly picturing Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as a Melee Marth/Roy situation where they share a lot of animations but Ribbon Girl has different ARMS, doesn't power up when high damage and can't neutralise projectiles (Spring Man's powers) but has multiple jumps and a really fast fast-fall.
Because of her multiple jumps you can't really make them alt skins for each other without losing what makes Ribbon Girl unique in her own game. Now, Spring-Man and Springtron, that I'd be all for since he's a metal Spring-Man and his differences aren't really transferable to Smash.

At the very minimum Ribbon Girl could be in a Marth/Lucina or Pit/Dark Pit clone where she really only has one notable difference (her multi jumps, in this case). But if you incorporate other ARMS she can share some normals while still being her own unique character because of her specials, becoming a Ness/Lucas or a Falcondorf semi-clone. At most, Fox/Wolf quasi-clone where everything "looks" the same on a superficial animation level but in reality is completely different all around.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Because of her multiple jumps you can't really make them alt skins for each other without losing what makes Ribbon Girl unique in her own game. Now, Spring-Man and Springtron, that I'd be all for since he's a metal Spring-Man and his differences aren't really transferable to Smash.

At the very minimum Ribbon Girl could be in a Marth/Lucina or Pit/Dark Pit clone where she really only has one notable difference (her multi jumps, in this case). But if you incorporate other ARMS she can share some normals while still being her own unique character because of her specials, becoming a Ness/Lucas or a Falcondorf semi-clone. At most, Fox/Wolf quasi-clone where everything "looks" the same on a superficial animation level but in reality is completely different all around.
I feel as though if Spring Man gets in, Springtron will 100% be an alt for him.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I actually posted this before, but it was on an Arms topic that doesn't have much to do with Smash.

Here's this:

Who is THAT?!

I have no data on this fighter. I can't believe it!

I have data!

Whoa! Another intruder?!

What are YOU, some kind of chew toy?

I was asked the same thing one time...

Anyway, I'm Biff, your trusty Arms commentator!

"Arms"? Never heard of an "Arms" commentator.

What?! You never heard of Arms?!

Of COURSE we do! We need them to throw punches!

No, Arms as in the unique fighting sport! It's where contestants fight their opponents from many feet away.

This is Spring Man, one of the great fighters of the Arms Grand Prix.

He sure lives up to his name with those springy limbs.

Better get jumpy on this guy! His fists both have a long range of attack that'll bonk you away if you're not careful.

I guess this means you'll have less room to evade his punches.

Maybe you can reach, I mean, teach me and my minions a thing or two about long-ranged boxing.

We'll see... By the way, did I mention that Spring Man's Arms don't extend as easily as in Arms?

Well, I gotta spring outta here and commentate on the upcoming Grand Prix! See ya!

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I would like an ARMS character as much as you guys, but I wouldn't discount the creator's words.

Could be PR BS for all we know, but that depends if Sakurai had approached Yabuki during the game's early stages.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think that statement, if we take it at face value makes DLC more likely than default but interview answers on upcoming products are never the most reliable things.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
This hurts to read :urg:
They said MAYBE it's too early. Pokemon X and Y was only a year old when Super Smash Bros. 4 was released and we still had Greninja and the Kalos stages. I believe the timespan between the upcoming Smash and Arms will be longer than the XY and Sm4sh timespan.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think that statement, if we take it at face value makes DLC more likely than default but interview answers on upcoming products are never the most reliable things.
Sure, by the time Smash rolls around and we get the base roster, Arms will no longer be "new" if that is genuinely a problem. It is an inevitability regardless of whether or not he actually came out and stated, "absolutely no Arms in Smash, it is forbidden."

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Hello all! I like Arms! I hope one of the characters gets in, but I'd certainly be happiest with Min Min. Her kicks could prove useful in the fast paced world of smash!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
They said MAYBE it's too early. Pokemon X and Y was only a year old when Super Smash Bros. 4 was released and we still had Greninja and the Kalos stages. I believe the timespan between the upcoming Smash and Arms will be longer than the XY and Sm4sh timespan.
My biggest concern is that Greninja is a POKEMON. Pokemon is huge. Of course there would be a new one. ARMS is new though. There's no guarantee.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Here's the Characters I See from Arms getting into SSB5;
Spring man & Ribbon Girl; Because THEY were the first 2 Characters Revealed during the ARMS reveal Trailer, Plus they're basically the Game's Mascots
Plus they ALREADY Have Alternate Color Palettes they can use in Smash(the same ones found in ARMS), and It'd be JUST as Easy to Add in Springtron as an Alternate Skin for Springman/Ribbon Girl, as He's Basically A Robot that the Femme Fatale Scientist Dr. Coyle Modeled directly after Springman!!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Just want to clear up this misconception because people are focusing way too much on timing.

Smash 5 will probably be released in September but it could be later (but probably not earlier). For argument purposes, we'll use that. ARMS came out in June of 2016. So that would be 1 year and 4 months before Smash 5. Now, let's say Smash 5 started March 1st, 2016, about a month after Bayo came out. This would mean that ARMS was released about halfway through Smash 5's development. Of course, ARMS was officially announced (and playable) in January of 2016. Also, Sakurai can see these games sooner than they are officially announced (Greninja is proof of that as he was based on concept art). Its very likely ARMS was is a substantial state close to the start of Smash 5's development. So this isn't an issue.

On the director's comments, keep in mind he can't say very much, and he may even be given what he can say by Nintendo. I doubt they wont include a unique character from one of their big Switch games because he's too new. More than likely he said it to give something more substantial than "no comment" which people would have also read too much into.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3054...e-toughest-character-to-create-and-the-potent

Welp, the producer admits that it's too early to add an ARMS character.

Their best shot is DLC.
That "maybe it’s too early to think about that" doens't mean they're deconfirmed. He could say it only for people not to expect an ARMS newcomer and then reveal the surprise in a few months

It's a maybe after all. Maybe yes, maybe no. He's not confirming anything, neither the inclusion nor the "no inclusion"

I'm still hoping for Spring Man or Ribbon Girl to make it to the roster. Don't lose your hope yet!

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
If Springman (or another character) is going to make it in, it would've been after Nintendo got a gauge on how well the game did sales-wise. So probably closer to Christmas of this year. I'm not sure how much time that would leave development. But who knows. I'd love to see someone either way.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Picture not really related but is cool nonetheless.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think two reps would work
Springman and either MinMin/Twintelle/Mechanica/Dr Coyle

If arms isn’t in the base game it’s almost certainly DLC

Morbi

Scavenger
If Springman (or another character) is going to make it in, it would've been after Nintendo got a gauge on how well the game did sales-wise. So probably closer to Christmas of this year. I'm not sure how much time that would leave development. But who knows. I'd love to see someone either way.
Most sales figures are revealed early and are indicative of how well it will do for the most part. The analysts have it down to a science and can have reliably accurate date from just the opening week, oftentimes. Arms has been in circulation, they know how popular it is relative to their other series.

Knowwuh

Smash Cadet
Meh, I feel like arms is just a one time spinoff franchise for Nintendo. Smash is about playing as Nintendo's tried and true champions an icons. While inklings and Splatoon have proven to be popular and we'll designed, arms seems more like a silly one time side game. I give spring boy and stretch girl less than a 2% chance.
Not that I agree with your assessment of ARMS, but even if ARMS never gets a sequel, Smash is home to a number of one-off “silly” characters (see: Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt).

I’d be super pumped for an ARMS character in Smash, but I need need NEED its epic theme song for stage music!!

Morbi

Scavenger
Hoping for Spring Man
It would absolutely be a shock if it did not happen. He is basically on everyone's list for "obvious Smash addition" except for here where people really want to overthink things and arbitrarily create "rules" about when the roster was decided despite precedent literally dictating that even if that were true, he is still about the most feasible character.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Can't believe haven't seen this thread sooner. I'd love for ARMS to get a rep or two. Assuming just, one, I definitely seeing it be Spring Man, which I'd have no problem with as I do love the guy. However if we were to get two, I'd love Twintelle and Dr. Coyle as the reps, but I feel Spring Man and Dr. Coyle would better represent the game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It would absolutely be a shock if it did not happen. He is basically on everyone's list for "obvious Smash addition" except for here where people really want to overthink things and arbitrarily create "rules" about when the roster was decided despite precedent literally dictating that even if that were true, he is still about the most feasible character.
well they needed someone after everyones previous obvious smash addition was in the teaser

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Here's one more supporter for Spring Man! I'm confident of his presence in the base game regardless of what Yabuki said. =)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Here's one more supporter for Spring Man! I'm confident of his presence in the basegame regardless of what Yabuki said. =)
Pretty much, people on the internet need to learn to listen and consider what they are told, but not take it as the definitive truth. Think for yourself, life is much better that way and we get to enjoy some nice Spring Man to prove it.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You know, the more I look into it, the more I support Spring Man. It does seem a bit on the nose, but I kinda would like to see him get in.

Top Bottom