• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Staarih

Smash Master
Another Global Test Punch after they've added the (supposed) final new content is a wise move, looks like they're trying to push the game more for it to find a bigger audience and I really hope it works - ARMS deserves to be popular, it's like the #1 game I play on Switch haha!

But yeah, it's clearly an important new IP to Nintendo so I feel ARMS does have a chance for playable representation in Smash, even if it's a fairly new game (BotW Link is in at least). Spring Man is what I predict, but we'll see.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I feel like if someone from Arms does join Smash, it would be Spring Man and Ribbon Girl similar to Wii Fit Trainer and Robin.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
If Spring Man and/or Ribbon girl make it in we NEED. Mega Man 7's Spring Man as an alt costume.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I'd like both Spring Man and Ribbon Girl to get in. If they only put one then Spring Man

An ARMS newcomer is guarantee imo

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Give me Ribbon Girl and I'd be fine.
I'm fine with Spring Man x Ribbon Girl alt costumes.

slambros

Smash Ace
Spring Man would be a good addition in my opinion.

And I think that the inclusion of the online tournament for Arms in the Direct does imply that Arms is still on the mind of Nintendo as a whole. I think that bodes well for a character from the game, even if their game is done receiving content updates.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Little Mac has proven one slot can have up to 16 alt skins. There are 15 fighters. Biff is also a thing.

.... Yeah, not happening. (I know some of them would require different hitboxes and such anyway)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
From the beginning, I could not see them excluding adding a couple of ARMS characters.
I see it as Twintelle and Min Min, popular characters who mock many of the stereotypes of specifically Eastern and Western pop culture. But Helix was always heavily on my mind.

I cannot see them just choosing one because the developers would benefit greatly from showing off just how unique the personalities/ characters in ARMS truly are. The game is character driven. It would be sacrilege to make them alts when Lucina is a character in her own right. Just one ARMS rep may show off the core dynamics of the game, but adding a second or even third would showcase the versatility of the game, a crucial selling point.

That said, I do think they would carry a similar vocabulary, with a greater emphasis of differentiation being their special skills in ARMS (for Twintelle, freeze time; for Min Min, flip kick; for Helix, duck evasion).

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
How I see it is that Springman would be the choice and Ribbongirl will either be a costume due to a similar model build or as the second character. (Although I’d prefer my main, Min Min, as the ARMS second/third character)

zack4812

Smash Apprentice
Spring Man is cool and all, but I would love to see Dr. Coyle in there as well. She's got a unique moveset with her invisibility and third arm power, along with being a new villain for Smash (which we need more of). 2 fighters for a new franchise is asking for a lot, but it could possibly happen. Also Helix or Mechanica as an assist trophy would he pretty sweet too.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I really, REALLY want an ARMS character in Smash. From the moment I saw the game, I knew I would want it represented, same as I felt about Splatoon. Not to mention, the vast amount of moveset potential any one of the characters has.

I'd love to see Helix, but I'm sure that's a pipe dream. It's pretty much Spring Man/Ribbon Girl or nothing, I'd wager. But I'm fine with that, so long as ARMS is in!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
ARMS may not have the ballot due to release times but it was a big debut for a brand new IP and they may have a couple other advantages...

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I’d prefer Ribbon Girl, But that’s moreso just personal preference. I’m sure she could be an alt costume considering she’s not that different aside from cosmetics... I’d say she has almost has high of a chance just because she, along with Spring Man appear on almost all of the promotional artwork and trailers.

Morbi

Scavenger
I’d prefer Ribbon Girl, But that’s moreso just personal preference. I’m sure she could be an alt costume considering she’s not that different aside from cosmetics... I’d say she has almost has high of a chance just because she, along with Spring Man appear on almost all of the promotional artwork and trailers.
You never know, Sakurai might want to pad out female representation. That seemed to be somewhat of a focus last time. Realistically, it does not matter too much who they choose regardless. Even if they chose Ribbon Girl, Spring Man would likely be an alternative. I love them both. I usually play female characters, but Spring Man's design really resonates with me for whatever reason.

SuperPhil64

Smash Rookie
I feel like Spring Man is pretty much a given, with perhaps a RibbonGirl or Springtron alt. However If we could have a 2nd character I'd love to see my main gurl Dr.Coyle. She would help bolster the number of villains and female characters in the roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Good news everyone, the latest Switch update added new Kirby and ARMS profile picture options.

Now I may have an excuse to change mine.

Staarih

Smash Master
Good news everyone, the latest Switch update added new Kirby and ARMS profile picture options.

Now I may have an excuse to change mine.
Finally, I've been waiting for this! Will definitely change my icon into one of the ARMS characters. That way, if ever someone stumbles across my profile, they see it and might be intrigued to learn more about ARMS haha!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It would definitely be interesting getting an Arms fighter in the game, and while Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the most likely due to being the poster children of the game...

I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer Min Min...

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
Spring Man w/ Ribbon Girl alt + an ARMS stage with some of that sweet music is so necessary

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Me and Morbi Morbi agreed in the Smash Switch that we will still add Spring Man to our prediction rosters. If he does not get revealed when the release date comes near, I will drop him from my roster. I feel in the case of relevance and promotion, Spring Man would likely be one of the first characters revealed for Smash Switch. Since Smash Switch was revealed alongside the new IP character Inklings, now would be the best time to promote Arms with Spring Man with the competitive tournaments and support Nintendo is doing right now. That is a pretty safe bet, I personally would advise every Spring Man supporter to consider that and the previous things I said about Spring Man for their prediction rosters. It is easy bragging points for you and me. :cool:

If he is not in the base game as a last-minute unique addition, he is probably going to be playable or (worse case scenario) as a Mii costume for DLC.

I hope for the best scenario.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
I like Master Mummy best (especially given the archetypal holes in the Smash 4 roster), there are a decent number of ARMS designs I'd like to see:

I'd say high priority are Master Mummy, Helix, Byte & Barq, Springtron. I wouldn't mind Max Brass or Coyle. I guess I wouldn't dislike Spring Man. I just don't want to somehow see Mechania or Ninjara get in when there's such a breadth of good designs to choose from.

Obviously, most likely is Spring Man, and maybe Ribbon Girl for a token grill. A second, zanier rep would be cooler.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Me and Morbi Morbi agreed in the Smash Switch that we will still add Spring Man to our prediction rosters. If he does not get revealed when the release date comes near, I will drop him from my roster. I feel in the case of relevance and promotion, Spring Man would likely be one of the first characters revealed for Smash Switch. Since Smash Switch was revealed alongside the new IP character Inklings, now would be the best time to promote Arms with Spring Man with the competitive tournaments and support Nintendo is doing right now. That is a pretty safe bet, I personally would advise every Spring Man supporter to consider that and the previous things I said about Spring Man for their prediction rosters. It is easy bragging points for you and me. :cool:

If he is not in the base game as a last-minute unique addition, he is probably going to be playable or (worse case scenario) as a Mii costume for DLC.

I hope for the best scenario.
There is much logic in this. Plus, Sakurai typically jumps at the first sign of a new Nintendo IP to represent and a character with a unique gimmick. Add that to the relative success of ARMS (it didn't tank, at least) and the marketing possibilities, and you've got one of the most ideal scenarios for a newcomer since Splatoon itself.

Literally the only obstacle I can think of is that ARMS wasn't as successful as Splatoon. And that's really not a problem when you consider that even Xenoblade got a character, while selling about as much as ARMS and having a more niche appeal.

At this point, I think it really is just a case of guessing who we're getting, not if we're getting them.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Let me be the one to say...

An Arms fighter is NOT a shoe-in!

Lets consider some things...one is timing, yes its new and still relatively fresh on everyone's minds but it may even be too recent sure Sakurai may have gotten a heads up on the IP, but...

Two, the success of the IP was still up in the air during the Switch's first year...we can't be certain that Nintendo would push them into Smash when no one knew how well this New IP would perform on their new system...

Not saying they don't have a good enough chance to get in as I think they have a very good chance but they are certainly not guaranteed...at least not in the base game...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Let me be the one to say...

An Arms fighter is NOT a shoe-in!

Lets consider some things...one is timing, yes its new and still relatively fresh on everyone's minds but it may even be too recent sure Sakurai may have gotten a heads up on the IP, but...
well greninja was revealed for smash 4 around half a year after his debut and by the time smash switch comes out itll have been more than a year since arms came out so it might not be too recent

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
well greninja was revealed for smash 4 around half a year after his debut and by the time smash switch comes out itll have been more than a year since arms came out so it might not be too recent
Greninja didn't come from a new IP though...

That's the point I'm getting at, with Pokemon characters, Sakurai and TPC discuss new or recent Pokemon during a new or upcoming Generation, that's why Greninja was added before X and Y was finished...I don't see Sakurai doing this with a brand new, at the time still unproven, IP...

Plus, it's frikkin Pokemon! Arms doesn't exactly compare, does it?

As I mentioned though, this doesn't mean an Arms character won't show up...but correct me if I'm wrong but most of the playable cast (aside from last minute clones and DLC) was decided early on in Smash 4's development....it's likely the same applies here which means he would've decided on the cast before the Switch was even released...of course exceptions can be made, maybe the game was intended to release sooner and he delayed it to add in more characters such as someone from Arms seeing as it was moderately successful, maybe he made an exception with Arms being a New IP and added a character from the game anyways...

But with that said, all I'm saying is, it's probably not a good idea to assume that an Arms fighter is guaranteed...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Greninja didn't come from a new IP though...

That's the point I'm getting at, with Pokemon characters, Sakurai and TPC discuss new or recent Pokemon during a new or upcoming Generation, that's why Greninja was added before X and Y was finished...I don't see Sakurai doing this with a brand new, at the time still unproven, IP...

Plus, it's frikkin Pokemon! Arms doesn't exactly compare, does it?

As I mentioned though, this doesn't mean an Arms character won't show up...but correct me if I'm wrong but most of the playable cast (aside from last minute clones and DLC) was decided early on in Smash 4's development....it's likely the same applies here which means he would've decided on the cast before the Switch was even released...of course exceptions can be made, maybe the game was intended to release sooner and he delayed it to add in more characters such as someone from Arms seeing as it was moderately successful, maybe he made an exception with Arms being a New IP and added a character from the game anyways...

But with that said, all I'm saying is, it's probably not a good idea to assume that an Arms fighter is guaranteed...
no one is assuming it is, the point was by the time the new smash is out plenty of time will have passed for them to add in an arms fighter since the game was released

im fairly certain last around we learned it only takes a couple months to make a fighter

also we know whos on the roster changes during development, you can find cut characters for all four games

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Woops, wrong thread.

But while I'm here, I can see Spring Man being an early DLC character if not in base roster. Besides, I have a feeling that the success of the last games DLC will encourage more...

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I imagine an ARMS character in smash could be vaguely similar to Dhalsim in Street Fighter reguarding to playstyle (I mean his physics moves, not the ones based on fire and flames)

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
Anyone else think that if ARMS were represented, Sakurai wouldn't choose Spring Man as a character? I compare it to the reason why he didn't choose Chrom and chose Robin instead for a never Fire Emblem rep. Spring Man is kinda boring and generic as a personality. Wouldn't Sakurai choose someone with more spice? I'd imagine him choosing someone like Min Min or Twintelle.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Anyone else think that if ARMS were represented, Sakurai wouldn't choose Spring Man as a character? I compare it to the reason why he didn't choose Chrom and chose Robin instead for a never Fire Emblem rep. Spring Man is kinda boring and generic as a personality. Wouldn't Sakurai choose someone with more spice? I'd imagine him choosing someone like Min Min or Twintelle.
If the roster was being chosen right this second or a few months back I'd agree, but seeing as how the roster was likely chosen years ago they would have only had concept art to go off of with no idea how the fans would react, so the most logical choice would have been Spring Man cause he's the Ryu of the game, or Ribbon Girl as the equally popular Chun Li.
It's still a shame, Twintelle's got the most to offer in regards to how she would fit in Smash. Her having actual arms frees her from restrictions of the other ARMS characters too.

Last edited:

geoluminescent

Smash Cadet
Personally I'd love to see Min Min and Helix. Maybe Dr. Coyle DLC. Spring Man is.... boring. That said, he's also the most likely.

I don't think we'd see a Ribbon Girl alt skin though. They have different in-game mechanics. Ribbon Girl would probably be a semi-clone if she and Spring Man got in.

Top Bottom