• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Ike Videos

mikeb2010

Smash Apprentice

•Col•

Smash Champion
Your play style was waaaaay too aggressive at times.... It seems like you were just throwing attacks out at random, hoping they'd hit...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Colaya's right, there so many whiffed attacks I lost count. You have to at least try to make sure you hits will move, Ike is the type of guy who can't afford to miss with his atatcks because most of them have too much lag behind them. To be honest I think you just won because you got lucky (the 5th match is a good example of this, however your most impressive display was teh 4th match.)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Match 1: Too much FTilt, in my opinion; many times they were shielded. In my opinion, FTilt should be used for spacing and killing, not as the bulk of your offense because of move degeneration. You also did not capitalize on edgeguarding opportunities; walk-off FAir is a good way to ward off TLink. I noticed that you attempted a DAir on the first stock, but then did not re-try for the rest of the match. Setting your C-stick to "Attack" will allow you to DAir without auto-fastfalling, so I recommend that you customize your controls so that your spiking opportunities become more open to you. It also opens up for walk-off DAir, which can destroy recoveries coming from straight below. You were too aggressive when approaching, you should have powershielded more and spaced more carefully so that in case your attack fails to connect, you are safe from a counter-attack. You should also do more out of your jab except jab more or finish the jab combo; jab -> grab, jab -> UTilt (which only works when people DI up like your opponent did), and other combinations can maximize your ability to put close-range pressure on your opponent while racking up damage.

Match 2: Edgehopping UAir at 1:45 instead of getting back onto the stage may have led to a KO; UAir kills at roughly the same % as USmash if your opponent doesn't DI, so don't underestimate it's killing potential. Good job adding more variety to your game; I noticed how you started UTilt'ing, NAir'ing, and going for grabs after jabs. However, you should learn when you are close enough to grab out of a jab and get out of the habit of holding A to jab; there were several times where you missed the opportunity to punish your opponent because you held A in the wrong direction. You got too greedy/sloppy with the USmash at the end, trying to go for the big damage; always try to make your opponent fall into it, like chasing their backwards roll or predicting their side-step. You didn't punish your opponent's rolls; Dash Attack is perfect for this. Again, not enough powershielding; it really helps to do so against TLink.

Match 3: Walk-off FAir/DAir would've been a much better option than FSmash at 0:42. Good job with the spike at 1:00; you acted unpredictably and punished them for their surprise. Nice try with the stagespike FAir at 1:52, but again, walk-off FAir would've been better. However, great job adjusting your timing and pulling it off successfully soon later. A running USmash at 3:27 would've ended the match; whenever possible, try to get under your opponent rather than to one of their sides when they are helpless and coming from above. You played well in that match, mixing in grabs with your jabs. However, you should try using BAir more; if you do it straight out of a short-hop, it will end before you land so that you have no landing lag. Short-hop BAir'ing out of shield can be very useful for counter-attacks (like at 3:32, where you opted for the slower FTilt instead) and is very quick. You are still not punishing for every mistake; you could have rushed in for a grab at 3:37, but you just hung at the edge. Keep an eye out for when your opponent has lag and when he doesn't so that you can rush in and do as much damage as possible.

I'll watch the rest tomorrow; your Ike is becoming more and more developed as the matches go by, so it would be unfair for you if I stopped critiquing now.

EDIT: Okay, watching the rest now.

Match 4: Why the FTilt at 0:46? He had just finished a roll, so you shouldn't known that you wouldn't have enough time to punish him. Also, I'd recommend you set your C-stick to Attack so that you can pull off those DAirs without fastfalling and use them for edgeguarding; walk-off DAir would've been perfect at 3:55 rather than DTilt. Why grab at 4:33 when you could've ended it there with FTilt? Anyways, you seemed to be just throwing out attacks during your first stock before you wised-up and started putting pressure on your opponent instead of eating projectiles. Your opponent plays particularly spammy; a good Tlink is very capable of killing before 150%, let alone 200%. You need more ground-based approaches and the ability to guess what your opponent will do next; he rolls a lot, so you should try to counter retreating rolls with Dash Attack and rolls toward your back with USmash.

Match 5: FTilting at 0:57 was a bad choice considering that your opponent was very high after the FAir, high enough to either jump out of the FTilt or interrupt it with a NAir or FAir. FSmash at 2:06 was also a bad choice; you should've resisted the urge to get a quick kill and known that TLink has enough drift after his up+B to move away from you; USmash would've been a much better choice. The match should've been won by the TLink player to be honest, he got too confident and spammed way too much. Mix up your approach so that it's more than just running in and eating projectiles along the way. Use more aerials and punish for lag with stuff besides grabs.

To boil it down:
- Recognize when you can punish and what you can punish with
- Use more than jab and FTilt when on the ground; grab and Dash Attack work surprisingly well in certain scenarios
- Use more aerials besides NAir and FAir
- Learn to powershield

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
You really should have lost that match. I guess the overconfidence lead to his demise. Oh well... Good job regardless.

Top Bottom