• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Idea for teck chasing

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well I have been thinking about teck casing the dthrow. Against some opponents who have a good teck roll they can sometimes avoid you by just rolling away. If you decide to tele to teck chase them they may still be able to spot doge you or if they are a space animal shine you in the face. :( However last night while I was playing I tried a new idea that I think may have some valitity even at high tier play.

Now for the good stuff! When you Dthrow insted of teck chasing I decided to charge a shadow ball. Becasue of the lag involed with Dthrow by the time you begin charging your shadow ball your opponent is going to have few options.

1. If they roll backwards (ie. twards you) they will be 'sucked' into the shadowball and you can have an easy SBCC grab combo on them.
2. If they just 'stand up' you can throw your shadowball or just cancle the shadow ball and grab them. this teck also works just as well if they decide to do the 'get up and attack' teck roll.
**Here come's the tricky part**
3. If they decide to roll away from you your going to have to move fast. If you short hope SBC you can move forwrad and charge up your shadow ball/ throw a shadowball kind of like falcos SHl (although not nearly as effective) When the opponent recovers from the roll the shadow ball should hit them giving you enough time to get a d-tilt or if you spaced it really well, another grab.

The reason why I think that this teck has a lot of potential is becuse you can pretty much FORCE your opponent into a move. Because you are forcing them to do something you should in THEORY be able to definatly capitalize on thier foced move.

IMo this teck sounds good in theory, however I havn't tested it extensevly (yet).

Comments welcome and needed!!:)

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I've already used this a lot. It works really nicely against Falco or Fox. Their rolls/techs are perfect.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Ohh and here I was thinking that i may have come up with a slightly new idea lolz
Glad to hear that im not the only one that uses this :)

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
its not nearly fast enough..

it works if they roll towards you.
but if they roll away from you, you gave them a free escape.

1 perfect wave dash
almost always covers the distance you need against most characters.
for characters that dont, mind read and do 2 wavedashes.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Airo A fox that rolls away from you will have the time to shine/ spot doge if you WD twards him. That's why I came up with the shadow ball teck. If you shl your shadow ball into a wave land you definatly can engage. I don't really think that it is a free escape. it's worked well for me, I just need to pracitce the shl wave landed shadowball to get the farthest distance on my waveland. idk I think that it is fast enough. I guess I'll have to try it more then to see. :)

Airo

Smash Lord
are you kidding?
a roll is a move with substantial delay and vulnerable frames.
anyone who rolls a predicted direction are unquestionably punished.

if your grab attempt IS dodged, the reason is
1) you wavedash too slow
2) you grab at the wrong timing
3) you werent predicting his direction, you were reacting to his movements

mewtwo's techchase is dependent on predicting movements, not reacting to movements. if you are trying to react to his movements, by the time your reflex hits you, your target has already escaped. mewtwo's grab isnt exactly fast. mewtwo has a mediocre grab, hence depends on predictions to techchase. (unless you are playing against bowser which has a very slow roll)

if you succesfully predicted your targets movements, there is no reason you should miss your grab or dtilt.

and

-there is no such thing as sh shadowball to waveland
-shadowball moves much much slower than your wavedash. its even slower than you running

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
I've tried this a couple times, it's great if you can predict where they are going. It can't really "trap" them, but it'll provide you with an opportunity. However, it's pretty hard to capitalize on this. This can't really be used too much during a match either, since they'll eventually catch on. One good thing about this is it basically prevents some counterattacks, and safety is always a bonus with Mewtwo. It's a great find no doubt about it, but more often than not, you won't gain a significant advantage over them.

Airo

Smash Lord
well... i gave this some thought.

how about faking a shadowball charge, then canceling it asap to techchase forward.
that would limit their option or teching towards you and give you a nicer probability to a successful techchase.

and if they are on the edge they are likely to roll towards the stage, which will fit right onto your sbc. if they DO roll away from stage, at least the distance is significantly shorter and your shadowball has a high probability of hitting.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
hmm perhaps, I have a chance to today to play some smash so im going to try and go as fast as I can with the shadowball teck chase and see if I can make something work :)

PDRK

Smash Rookie
I'll try all the different ways as well and see if it will be a daily trap added to my list hehe XD

Top Bottom