• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New IC Main

Excellence

Smash Champion
I've been maining Olimar all throughout Brawl, because I love how unique he is and now I'm ready to try the Ice Climbers. I like how they stick together and since they're lower tier, they're not too popular making them appealing to someone like me who wants to stick out in character choice.

Are they're any tips you guys have that you're willing to share? Any useful guides or threads that I should read up on?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
this

but seriously, it really helped me when i was new. a couple things:

1. the ONLY smash you should be using a large amounts is dsmash
2. rather than jab, it's often better to dtilt or ftilt
3. dair has good priority, but DON'T use it too much
4. first, learn basic chaingrabbing techs, such as p-dthrow/fthrow > n-fair > p-fsmash

after you get the hang of playing as them, THEN i would begin practicing continuous chaingrabbing and other indepth chaingrabs.

snowstorm's chaingrab video
^ignore the continuous chaingrabs until you've gotten fairly used to the ice climbers. just focus on the easier stuff.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
oh and don't worry TOO much about desynching. it's not necessary to own people. it's really nice sometimes (though occasionally it'll get you killed), but just don't worry too much about it.

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
lol, learning the basic CG's is big.
- PFthrow > NFthrow
- PDthrow > NFair
- Alternating throws

This help alot with controlling the enemy and racking damage up quick.

Learn to smash in grabs and learn the few grabs > spikes they have.

There B moves are really good so dont be scared to use Ice Blocks and Blizzards. Only Sqaull Hammer with popo and nana together. Learn Normal Combat and get used to people calling you cheap or stop using a broken character.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I'm not worried about being called cheap, trust me with Olimar you get three out of every ten matches. How exactly do their chain grabs work? Do you just grab and throw, chase and regrab or... ?

Miller

Smash Lord
1. the ONLY smash you should be using a large amounts is dsmash
Hahaha, you amuse me. Fsmash is their best smash. It has great priority and range. To KO, go for the grab Usmash if your worried about killing power
2. rather than jab, it's often better to dtilt or ftilt
Dtilts range sucks, its situational, but once it hits its good.
3. dair has good priority, but DON'T use it too much
You shouldnt use dair at all unless its certain to hit or when your above a MK
4. first, learn basic chaingrabbing techs, such as p-dthrow/fthrow > n-fair > p-fsmash
DO THIS
There ya go cotton :)

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
I'm not worried about being called cheap, trust me with Olimar you get three out of every ten matches. How exactly do their chain grabs work? Do you just grab and throw, chase and regrab or... ?
sorry but with the ice climbers you get it 10/10 times.

gimpy fish has the best quotes ever. snake is more broken than my 1980 ford taurus, and that's saying a lot

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
if you're new to ICs, you don't need to worry about their CGS to start. If you don't know how to use them without their grabs then you'll wind up getting *****. Learn the basics of ICs first, then the CGs.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
or take it from me uses ics pretty well, you don't need to chaingrab to win, while its nice to do if you feel like being cheap cging is not nesaccary and you feel much better after winning without them(although their grab combos are very nice) also, the only thing that you need to win is mastery of shorthopped blizzards,also, nice to meet another olimar main

Miller

Smash Lord
or take it from me uses ics pretty well, you don't need to chaingrab to win, while its nice to do if you feel like being cheap cging is not nesaccary and you feel much better after winning without them(although their grab combos are very nice) also, the only thing that you need to win is mastery of shorthopped blizzards,also, nice to meet another olimar main
Your ********, don't even come to the IC boards to preach to us to not use CGs.

Miller

Smash Lord
Just so you do know, I did not mean the comment to be rude, sometimes (actually alot) it just comes out that way. People generally look at the easiest path, but that because they don't want to do the work.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
no, i understand. i know that CGs are the cornerstone of IC play, and i've worked on getting down most of them myself (d-throw, nana-popo side infinite, forward throw to nana f-air, ice block lock) i know they are a lot of work, but when it comes down to it, if all you know is how to do impressive CGs, then you're not generally going to do as well as if you're good without them.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
well, i prefer not to do them and im still good(unless im really desperate to win a tournament with money involved), thats just my take on them, also, i didn't say not to use them before, i just said they aren't nesaccary to play the iceclimbers

Miller

Smash Lord
no, i understand. i know that CGs are the cornerstone of IC play, and i've worked on getting down most of them myself (d-throw, nana-popo side infinite, forward throw to nana f-air, ice block lock) i know they are a lot of work, but when it comes down to it, if all you know is how to do impressive CGs, then you're not generally going to do as well as if you're good without them.
I do agree with you 100%, but like I said before, people don't feel like doing the extra work. They think that since there "good" with CGs, they don't need the other stuff that follows, like Desyncs, or just plain fighting skills.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
millar is pretty good at fighting without the grabs, cut him some slack guys

to millar: you kinda use a lot of random smashes to leave yourself open, but that's fine. you play efficiently which is okay

edit: what the heck is this topic about? *lazy*

Miller

Smash Lord
Another IC main asking for help with everything -.-

I know I do, but i make sure there isnt enough time to punish me for it. Kinda like the whole taunt mindgame

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I guess so. Just be careful with some faster characters. You can't see everything coming.

Miller

Smash Lord
I know, but the people who I play against, I know their play styles very well. Its not like I run in with ike and am like FSMASH FSMASH

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ice blocks, blizzard, and squalls are the Ice Climber's bread and butter. Don't be afraid to be as annoying with them as possible. :laugh: Regarding the chain grabs, you should learn what works on who and at what percentages. Here's a basic guide:

Basic Dthrows chain grab-

Easy to do against (Can last above 30% if done right): Fox, Wolf, Shiek, Bowser, King Dedede, Ike, Ganondorf, Charizard, Ivysaur, DK, Link, and Snake (taking he doesn't counter with grenades)

Average (Can last until about 30% if done right): Mario, Luigi, Diddy, Wario, Yoshi, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, ROB, Falco, Olimar, Pikachu, Squirtle, Lucario, Captain Falcon, Marth, Ness, Lucas, and Sonic

Hard to do against (Character can break out as early as the first attack if timed right): Zelda, Pit, Ice Climbers (unless it's a single Ice Climber), Kirby, Metaknight, Jigglypuff, and Mr. Game and Watch.

Fthrow to grab to repeating/fthrow to dthrow to grab chain grab to repeating:

Easy to do against: Bowser, DK, Link, Shiek, Ganondorf, Samus, ROB, King Dedede, Fox, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Ivysaur, Charizard, Marth, Ike, and Snake (again, without grenade counters)

Average: Mario, Luigi, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Wario, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Falco, Olimar, Pikachu, Lucario, and Sonic.

Hard to do against: Peach, Zelda, Pit, Ice Climbers (unless it's a single Ice Climber), Kirby, Metaknight (learn to hate him), Squirtle, Jigglypuff, Ness (for some odd reason...), Lucas (same), and Mr. Game and Watch.

Fthrow/dthrow into fair spike has different timing based on general character weight class so try to keep that in mind. With that said, look at the things I said above to get a general idea how well it and Ice block locks work against certain characters.

That's all the general stuff I can think of for now.

PassWurD

Smash Journeyman

Actually I feel pretty satisfied after I CG someone "cheaply" to win, its a nice feeling.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I do agree with you 100%, but like I said before, people don't feel like doing the extra work. They think that since there "good" with CGs, they don't need the other stuff that follows, like Desyncs, or just plain fighting skills.
exactly! i've felt recently like this entire board is only about CGs and ignoring everything else. i know that there are new CGs being developed relatively quickly, but then a lot of the new IC users just focus on learning those only and ignoring the actual fighting.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
And thats why alot of Iceys fail
yeah. i think we should stop emphasizing the CGs to the new IC players. I love the creativeness of the better, more weathered IC users, but the new players need to learn how to correctly use desyncing, squall hammers, short hops, blizzard, etc. before getting caught up in CGs.

I personally think this would help IC's tourney scores. instead of having a bunch of people running in who can kill their friends with CGs and nothing else, IC users would be more adept and not get the **** beaten out of them (as much). of course by saying this i'm being a heretic to a lot of the higher up players here. but i personally feel that this is true.

Top Bottom