• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new here so

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
I know there is an introduction thread to the entire Smash community but I'd figure I'd do a quick intro here just for the Sheik one's.

Voyeur, ex-LegacyGamers Staff [GM] of GunZ and one of the "best" D-stylers in National.
I plan to use Sheik and solely Sheik as much as possible with out Down-B.
Ever since Marvel Vs Capcom 1 & 2 I have mained with Strider Hiryu and I feel the two characters have a similar feel along with the fact I used her back in Melee. Now if only Sheik was able to use her dagger to attack though....She'd be amazing >__<
(also why I use her in Blue; for the red scarf)

I'd appreciate any advice from the other advance Sheik users, and if it would be cool to get some adds for Wifi since I tend to be a very kinesthetic learner [hands on] rather then a visual or audio learner. I saw there was a list for Sheik users in the Melee section and where they lived to see if people can meet up I guess and play via in person?
-Perhaps we should run a thread like that; I could make it. I have a car too so if no one lives to far, I wouldn't mind hosting some get togethers for training and discussions sessions. (CA)

Not sure if I'm allowed to even post a thread like this here.....but yeah.

I'm really looking forward to getting some tutoring on becoming a better Sheik player and upping her Metagame in General. I need a lot of work but practice makes perfect :3

EDIT: kill this thread

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Attempting to 5-stock the difficult level 9 computers (Luigi, Peach, MK, and others that you may find challenging) is amazing training IMO if you're all by your lonesome.

That's all I gotta say for now ;) welcome to Sheik.

I've done it to MK taking less than 100% with pure rushing. Yayuhzzzz! I call it choknaterz challenge.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
That sounds like fun Choknater. I've done it before, but now my CPU MK plays to my tendencies now along with a billion Usmashes!

Welcome to the Sheik boards! I wish I lived in Cali, so then I could come play you because I am trash online. I mean really bad lol. It seemed like the metagame has stalled out hard, so it's really been perfecting what works such as F-tilt -> Usmash, DACUS, gimping, and learning how to properly use the chain.

Every now and then there can be a need to switch to Zelda to get a quick kill, so some early advice would be to also get your Zelda competent; just in case you decay all your kill options, racking damage.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman

And yes....lvl 9 Pikachu has adapted to my Sheik game very well that little electric chode. I'll add him to that list of CPUs and give that style of training a whirl. I accept your Challenge!
I've recently got DACUS down, like 5-7/10 but my Ftilt locks need work amongst other stuff. Chain locking I've done when the time seemed appropriate, usually against Marths or Warios.

I know D: but I want to do it pure Sheik. I'll try to get a steady Zelda though, mostly it's abusing her smashes though for the spikes or kills any how.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
If only it were as simple as abusing smashes and such lol. I was pure Zelda since the game came out but realized I needed Sheik and now my Sheik is better than my Zelda; though it doen't help that everyone got used to my Zelda.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
haha yeah scary I know it's a little be more the button mashing her Fairs and Dairs for spikes or KOs, I'll have to get a moderate handle on her but I want to make sure I've mastered Sheik first :3

D-styling, you say?

We're going to be good friends, I can tell. :D
Yes! Dagger user since International Beta like in 2005, I never even once picked up K-style :p
I also feel that Sheik's play style is like D-style, DACUS = E-lunge, JAB cancel is like dagger stab and then needle storms are as good as any ShotGun Double RS.

so for sure then little Moogle.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
That's the challenging part ^_^ The CPU's adapt, but I adapt to the matchup even better. Lvl 9 CPU's in Brawl are smart enough for good training because they force you to change habits, space well, and use variety.

Lvl 9 Peach is another one of my favorites. IMO Peach has about a 55:45 or 60:40 matchup against Sheik, and the lvl 9 cpu uses her very quickly and reactively.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was able to 4 stock out of 5 metaknight just last night after taking your advice, twice. But it was Peach who was really giving me a rough time, & for some reason my lvl 9 CPU Pikachu is insane! so I challenged it on battle field and Smashville. I've only 2 stocked it so far.

gunz? you should try melee, it'll put your fast hands to good use

my hands always cramped after like 30 minutes of gunz
that was with a Keyboard and mouse, not a condensed controller :p but yeah I did play Melee since it's release on Gamecube, and I played Super Smash 64 when that came out. I can still recall the commercial with the "you and me, me and you" song while DK yoshi, mario and them fought in the field.

I never made huge efforts to become pro in melee sadly, besides wave dash and just using Sheik, but now I really want to take a stab at it in Brawl. But I totally know what you mean about the cramps, especially the hand the mouse was using; I fear carpal tunnel XD

EDIT: in fact PCChris is a good friend of my ex-girlfriend back in NJ. I'm visiting her soon so I could get some tips from him in my Melee game.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I'm gonna try Pikachu. Hehe.

The reason I train on lvl 9's is because I don't have a crew currently. All the people in my area play Melee. Having to train alone... there are ways to train on computers in both games. Of course, Melee probably requires a LOT more human practice because the pressure games are much crazier, and the CPU's are not smart. In Melee, I train on endless time on neutral stages on lvl 3 computers, because they are combo dummies but have better DI than lvl 1's.

In Brawl, since the CPU's are smart, it is VERY challenging for me to utterly destroy them with just my offensive tactics (and lots of charged needles.) Also, another thing... CPU's don't have any fear. If they have an opportunity to react and attack, they will usually take it. People have fear... and sometimes I have an easier time with real Peaches and Luigis than the computers. It's pretty interesting.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
When he spams B just keep using your AAA to cancel it. He'll eventually approach in some other form, and it's usually when I can set up. Power shielding or trying to dodge them usually end up in me getting Fsmashed by pikachu.

Yeah it's hard to find competent people who play Brawl around any where, I haven't tried around California yet but my friend who [Main's Pikachu and 2nds marth] Won some tourney down here, I'll have to ask him where. He said there were only like 3 other really good players. I play online Team most the time, and I end up finding skilled players most the time, with no items or smash balls being used.

the CPUs are really a pain in the *** with some how predicting where I was going to go before I even knew I wanted to go there XD I need a lot of help with DI, I don't even know when or how to properly perform it to be honest.

EDIT: and yeah Chok, must be hard trying to find people in the Grand Line which do you mean that from One piece or Outlaw star?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
A d-styler picking up Sheik? I love you already.

I'm a k-style man myself, although I haven't played in ages... and I can't even butterfly... j_j

anyway, just do what chok said. I may try it myself, actually.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
heh thanks, first time hearing love for a D-styler from a K-styler. Usually I hear "Dagger noob."

I haven't played in for ever either but I know that I could pick it up today, and E-lunge the entire Town, or Dungeon, chaining it forward-sideways-backwards (which with a stab timed is a lunge tap)
So yeah. RS, Lead shot, RSYD, Space invading, gravity shifting, Stab Shot, insta-push, all that jazz haha..

BUT woah this is a Smash forum not GunZ, kek. I will and I'm going to try and find some good brawlers around here.

EDIT: I've sent and added pretty much all the Brawl Codes of Sheik players I've seen being active. So hit me up when ever.

rinoH

Smash Lord
cpus are fun to torture i 3 stocked a lvl 9 link without taking a hit before though it was with pit

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Just a general note:

Maining one of the two joined characters is not the best route. I'm a firm believer in the two going hand in hand, as it was intended. You'll find that in most, if not all cases, Sheik's weaknesses are Zelda's strengths, and vice versa (Not always a strength, per say, but much less of a hassle)

Don't dismiss Zelda because of her dress or something stupid like that. If you can't get into her playstyle (which is drastically different to Sheiks), so be it, but at least give it a shot.

That said, check out the stickies, feel free to ask questions, but not too many (that position is currently taken). I'd love to go at it on WiFi with you some time.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I don't dismiss her because I'm sexist hah, but only because she is pretty different from characters I'm use to using in Games. But I know all to well the usefulness of synergy, like my strider back to Dr. Doom etc
So I'll be certain to pick up Zelda and get a good feel for her and she I can switch off to her, once I'm more confident in my Sheik skills to rack up the damage.

& I have totally read your guide. First thing I read on here actually. it was very informative and is helping me a lot. Along with watching the vids of others actually fighting. I'll be sure to do that in the Q&A thread

D-styling and k-styling wtf?
these are terms from a game called GunZ: the duel. Released in 2005 to America and was first out in Korea, a company first owned it named Maiet, now IJJI own it. I's a 3rd person shooter that pretty much revolves around the abuse of glitches and tricky keyboard movements.
D-style = Dagger style and K-style = Korean Style (Sword). Dagger users are the bottom tier sorta speak but a pro should easily take out a pro any other style.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I haven't yet done so but there should be a note indicating in importance which techs and ATs are most important. Not all the techs in the guide are useful, and more than half are entirely situational.

First things on your hitlist (in order and opinion)

F-tilt Lock
Chainlock
DACUS
Transformation Jump

Other than that it's basic fundamentals.

n-air is naughty and likes to be abused.
Spacing out is a good thing in brawl.
Needlestorm must never stop.
D-smash when in need of GTFO.
Tippers and FOOTSTOOL.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
the fundamentals seem to be where I start slipping. Like short hopping, timing my wall techs and DI in general. Spacing I get use to gets wrecked when I play a Snake; his amazing ability to punch & kick people with thin air and all.

I'm going to be boning up though on those 4 you recommended; then yeah everything else that becomes 2ndary. I also need to work on actually combining all this into combos to follow up after the other, so far I do minimal stuff but one thing I must note is my ability to time Vanish KOs in the air for edge guarding are really keen.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Oh right I forgot. Short hopping and fast falling make everything better.

If you're having trouble spacing try this:

Always keep you eye on your opponent and keep within visual range of them at all times (about 6 to 7 Sheik's away from them lets say.)

You know where you are and what you're doing. This allows you to probably double your reaction time and go where you need to go before any damage is done. Work on powersheilding and spotdodging as well. The less damage to you the better, right?

Either TristinWin or Chok (iirc) have mad skills with b-air spacing. Sheik's aerial agility and that moves incredible safety range in particular are great for spacing. In brawl you can time aerials so that you keep a consistent flow of attacks without landing lag.

If you see someone coming at you quick a single needle usually stuns them for long enough to escape or follow up with an attack if need be.

One last thing:

Sheik is an edgeguarder by nature. Only one of all her attacks has vertical trajectory, and it's only 1 part of the move. Pressuring people off the stage is your best bet most of the time. Good moves for getting people off the stage:

D-Smash
F-Smash
F-air
B-air
N-air
Sometimes Chain.

Good moves for KEEPING people off stage:

f-air
needles
Chain (use chainlock manouver with part of chain hanging over the edge)
n-air
b-air

I've seen ankoku use Vanish just before someone grabs the ledge. Awesome
D-smash lasts long enough to hit most characters trying to climb up the ledge.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
As a many years as an actual Voyeur I think I can do that, thanks.
These are some awesome tips. I feel a pretty great second wind to keep at this now.
I feel my Sheik game is going to get pretty disgusting and I'm going to love it :D (it's a good thing)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hah.

Practice makes perfect, hey. Once you master the technique it's time to master the application. Everyone's gameplay is different and the only way to learn from your mistakes is to play different people. I learn just as much from playing beginners as I do from playing experts.

If you're free now we can play a few games. I need some brawl right now.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Hah.

Practice makes perfect, hey. Once you master the technique it's time to master the application. Everyone's gameplay is different and the only way to learn from your mistakes is to play different people. I learn just as much from playing beginners as I do from playing experts.

If you're free now we can play a few games. I need some brawl right now.
I'm free now, I had to go meet up with a guy who's been asking to hang out with me for quite some time that I knew back in highschool last year.
But I'll never get better if I don't fight challenging players that's for sure, and I gotta get spacing down. So when ever you're down, I'm ready now if you still are.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
it doesn't rely heavily on the use of guns as much as CS actually.
It's entirely an abuse of glitches like I said, example and to relate it to Brawl; more or less like Melee but

if every move we did could be immediately and most definitely canceled by the simple hit of "Shield" but the full effect of what ever move before that is still carried out. Like if Falcon only had to say "Fa-"shield and the whole punch could still go through while blocking and continuing for the next hit.

That is the case with K-style (Swords) in GunZ. Canceling all intended drawn out slashes with blocking, but I was a D-styler. Daggers can't block and have very short range, we simply rely on actual talent to succeed. Spacing etc......there's so many glitches and abuse in this game I don't even know where to start but it was fun.

Top Bottom