• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New here and dissapointed

Pabrocity

Smash Rookie
I don't feel like Ike is everything people are hyping him up to be. Aside from the Aether (which isn't really like the in-game aether) you can't really feel the personality he has. It seems like he's just another cookie cutter fire emblem character thrown in because people were tired of Marth and Roy. Conclusion? Ike isn't really that tight.

Things might be better if the lord costume was used (love that shoulder armor) but I'm not seeing why I should be excited about Ike, especially when you put him beside people like Zero-suit Samus, Diddy and Sonic. What's the secret behind Ike that I don't see? There probably isn't one, but if anyone cares enough to enlighten me, I'd be happy. Maybe I just don't completely understand, but maybe I'm not just a blind fire emblem fanboy that goes crazy just because their favorite character is included.

Pabrocity

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, but I don't take imperatives well. "Ike got Buffed in the Jumpfesta Demo" isn't gonna be enough to make me care. Especially since you probably have no idea what "we've" been told.

Could I get a real explanation please...

vato_break

Smash Master
ike is great he's over powered and super slow
how can you not love that?
ike is greatness but, its true he got buffed in speed or so we have been told

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but I don't take imperatives well. "Ike got Buffed in the Jumpfesta Demo" isn't gonna be enough to make me care. Especially since you probably have no idea what "we've" been told.

Could I get a real explanation please...
Im not going to give you a full explination of Ikes buffs, go find the Japanese Forum post thing, It says it in alot more detail.

I dont know waht "we've" been told because "I" am not the "One" Translateing it. Or memorizeing it.

and "we" would Be Smashboards. d(' 'd)

why put Ike when they had a great character Marth

uumm. Because the point of a new game is to have better graphics, gameplay, and characters than the last? Marth's chances are amazing, so he'll prolly get confirmed in the next two or three weeks, before the game comes out.

Pabrocity

Smash Rookie
To Marthcombo and Vato respectively

Roy owned marth any day. He was barely any faster, and way weaker. Ike is better than marth was, even though I don't love Ike.

Over powered and super slow? Can you say Gannondorf? You get the uber power and slow speed (modified by cheap specials that make you travel quickly of course) but you get a more unique (character wise if not move wise) and you get better moves (cause falcon is a beast)

To superninjabreadman

Just playin. Don't freak out...

Way to post back in style though.

vato_break

Smash Master
To Marthcombo and Vato respectively

Roy owned marth any day. He was barely any faster, and way weaker. Ike is better than marth was, even though I don't love Ike.

Over powered and super slow? Can you say Gannondorf? You get the uber power and slow speed (modified by cheap specials that make you travel quickly of course) but you get a more unique (character wise if not move wise) and you get better moves (cause falcon is a beast)

To superninjabreadman

Just playin. Don't freak out...

Way to post back in style though.
roy owning marth?i think not
roy was just a Clone of marth
marth is way better than roy

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Regarding Ike's personality and likeness to the more famous faces you mentioned, Ike has not had any sort of backstory given to him, as well as the fact that he lacks a role in SSE.

And Ike does have more then hype behind him; although his speed (when he was playable) was lackluster, his power made up for it, especially in team battles. But his speed, stated above, has been said to have been buffed.

Wait for the game to be in your hands before deciding your opinion on a character.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Have you played FE? The one's he's in? that makes him a lot cooler. No character really show that much personality in smash but Ike surely will when it does finally come out.

Pabrocity

Smash Rookie
Of course I've played Path of Radiance..... why would I make a random post in total ignorance.

To Vicious Delicious:

You've made a good point, but there's one problem. Not a problem with your logic, no that was sound. The major weakness I see goes thus:

There are many characters that are powerful, be they slow or not. I guess the thing that bugs me is that Ike is poor as a character. I'm not excited about him, hell I don't really care. It's true he might end up better than some characters, but because of the balance that the designers manage to work into the game, there will most likely be multiple characters that are better.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
if ur dissapointed with ike go be MK or sonic, its not like we are luring u in to play as ike im playing hime b/c

1-he uses a sword and its a sweeta** sword
2-he was a great FE character and he was great in the games and i enjoyed him

im not being ike b/c of his power and slow speed and saf im and b/c people hyped him saying he was great i think ike is great

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
The question is, do you know where you are? HMMM?
And what's the problem with being a blind FE fan excited that their favorite character is included? While Brawl will have it's complexities as a fighting game, it's mostly built off of fanservice. I probably would not play the game if none of my favorite characters were in. I'M DEAD SERIOUS.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Uh... please dont bother answering him, he's clearly a total newcomer (ok no, your a noob) so its pointless to argue with such a close minded individual.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
why put Ike when they had a great character Marth
Ike IS a great character. And from what I understand...Ike's more popular than Marth is in Japan. Thus it makes a whole lot of sense for Ike to be included. And why are you talking like Marth is confirmed to be out? He's got a FE remake for the DS coming out and is the original FE Lord, he's got good chances of returning.

Oh, and take your whining about Marth out of this thread BTW, or else Gimpy will come and lock it.

I don't feel like Ike is everything people are hyping him up to be. Aside from the Aether (which isn't really like the in-game aether) you can't really feel the personality he has. It seems like he's just another cookie cutter fire emblem character thrown in because people were tired of Marth and Roy. Conclusion? Ike isn't really that tight.
I don't get this. How is it that he's not "everything people are hyping him up to be"? Most people here who want to play Ike want to because:

1. They liked Ike in PoR/RD.
2. They like his playstyle, which involves a in-your-face, MASSIVELY powerful attack and huge melee range.

In both of those things he succeeds...so how do you figure? His moves and his demeanor all scream "Ike in PoR" to me.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
There are many characters that are powerful, be they slow or not. I guess the thing that bugs me is that Ike is poor as a character. I'm not excited about him, hell I don't really care. It's true he might end up better than some characters, but because of the balance that the designers manage to work into the game, there will most likely be multiple characters that are better.
You're entitled to not be excited about Ike. Hell, I'm not too happy about Sonic, but I'm still going to try him once or twice to see if he'll fit my play-style.

Characters being better or worse then others? That's another issue entirely. You claim, and I agree, that developers establish a balance that ultimately creates a superior character without giving the character obvious uber-like status. Your last statement, about characters being better or worse, will ultimately bring out a "Tires don exits!" warcry, but that is just how a fighting game like Brawl works and evolves. People establish and edit a tier list based on various factors such as tournament performance, character status, favoritism in playing, and prominence in competitive play.

All in all, we don't know who will be the cream of the crop in Brawl until at least a month after the initial release. As I said earlier, wait until the game is playable before making a call on a fighter.

True Fool

Smash Ace
So? He is poorly represented, but that doesn't mean he's not unique. If you don't like him use a different FE character, don't assume Marth is gone.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Its not a matter of showing you the secrets of Ike. As of right now.. there are no secrets. What we know about Ike is on the web. None have played the final game and only know what others who have played the demo have told us. We pick Ike, or i did, because i like his fighting style.... sword and power.

the character you want should compliment you play style. Doesn't matter if that is Ike or Sonic. Even though i am an FE fanboy... i am playing Ike cuz he looks like i can play him well... plus he is awesome.

Pabrocity

Smash Rookie
Sorry Vicious Delicious, I just relized how badly I stated what I meant. I didn't mean better as in more powerful or more skilled, I meant better as in the opinion of a certain person. Maybe that's still a little confusing, but I believe you misunderstood me.

Either way, I really have no opinion about Ike yet, simply because I know nothing about him in Brawl other than his special attacks and what I know from FE9. This post, despite what it seems to be, was partly an attempt to piss off my friend, torchik, who is a little obsessed with Ike, partly a way to introduce myself to smashboards, and partly an honest attempt to bring up the things I don't like about Ike. I wasn't bashing on Ike, although it did indeed seem like it, hell I like Ike, and I got some excellent feedback about Ike, or at least some of things I don't like about him, and Smash Bros theory in general... well maybe from Vicious Delicious if not from anyone else...

I feel like some people are taking this a little too seriously what with all the "Ike is teh awesomeness cuz he from Fe. Plus he is teh awesome."

Pabrocity

Smash Rookie
Hmm, maybe I'll come to like Ike in Brawl in the future. He was badass in FE9, so we'll see what happens.

Oh, and thanks Dp (unless you object to abbreviations). Want me to make you one?

Speaking of which why does this forum cut off the bottom of sigs? Ah well.

D

Deleted member

And what's the problem with being a blind FE fan excited that their favorite character is included? While Brawl will have it's complexities as a fighting game, it's mostly built off of fanservice. I probably would not play the game if none of my favorite characters were in. I'M DEAD SERIOUS.
:(

All my favourite characters are one-off uniques or sidekicks. Badass stickers for them...

Torchik

Smash Ace
Hmph, trying to steal my friends are you? You have your own forum, you don't have to steal mine! Besides, you knew I was gonna make the sig for him! *sigh* ...I'm working on it now...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I've never played PoR, but I'm very , very intrested in Ike.

Why? Because I love his playing style. Super powerful and super slow may have been done before, but not to the extent that they have with Ike. The main thing that I like so much about his playing style is the fact that he has super armor in almost all of his attacks. For a player like me who just loves counters and reversals, Ike is going to be so much fun to use.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I've never played a FE game, and i'm not planning to either, but i love all the FE characters that is in smash. I'm also a user of powerhouses, and Ike has that slowish charm Bowser had in Melee.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
I don't feel like Ike is everything people are hyping him up to be.
Umm... people are hyping him up? I think your confused because all ive seen was majority ranting on him being slow... but thats just me. I dont think hes slow but w/e.

Top Bottom