• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new Gamecube controllers: any good? (2014 December)

Are the new controllers good?

• Yes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Have you tried one of the new Gamecube controllers (the black ones with the smash bros logo)?
Are they as good as the originals? Will you be using one as your main controller for tournaments?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
They feel pretty good. Don't feel exactly like the originals, but still a great controller. They feel like the white controllers if you ever had one of those. My other wired one broke a few years ago and the only other things I have are this controller and Wavebirds (great for playing any game that doesn't require frame-perfect tech), so it will be my main tournament controller.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
They feel pretty good. Don't feel exactly like the originals, but still a great controller. They feel like the white controllers if you ever had one of those. My other wired one broke a few years ago and the only other things I have are this controller and Wavebirds (great for playing any game that doesn't require frame-perfect tech), so it will be my main tournament controller.
Cheers for the review fellow Falcon. I never got a white one, I've only got black/purple ones from 10 years ago. A new one will probably be 100 times better than my worn out ones anyway so I might as well give it a go.

Firejew

Smash Cadet
They are L I T E R A L L Y identical, minus the type of paint used on the controller shell and the cord is now black.

Both the white ones and new ones lack the metal bars to keep the triggers on their set paths.
Allegedly, new controllers (white and black w/logo) have control sticks that are slightly taller too.

Munzu

Smash Rookie
I have a problem with mine though, but maybe it's a thing new controllers tend to do.

With my new smash controller, I have a hard time dashing back. Like when my character looks left and I want to dash dance by starting to dash to the right, my character often just stays in place and turns right without dashing. And please note that it's not because I can't dash dance. I've always dash danced successfully this way with my old purple controller. It's really frustrating as you get hit although you actually have reacted in time and wanted to dash away.

Did somebody have the same problem? I thought it's just because my controller was so new, it kinda has to wear out a little bit to work properly but I have this controller since it was released and it hasn't gotten better which makes me nervous. Is this something new controllers like to do?

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
It feels mostly the same, some slight differences in feel all around (not good or bad, just different). I want to see how it feels once it's worn down more.

The only major difference I've found is the triggers get kinda "stuck" if I press too hard down-and-towards the back of the controller. I never noticed I did this with the old controllers because they still slide down just fine. For some reason with the new controllers, if I push the trigger at an angle (sounds weird but is natural to me) they will get stuck a little bit on the way down. This has occasionally caused me to miss shielding an attack. Getting used to it isn't a problem though. Only have an issue once every few days now. I've tested this issue on two other new black "smash logo" controllers and it persists with those as well.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
It feels mostly the same, some slight differences in feel all around (not good or bad, just different). I want to see how it feels once it's worn down more.

The only major difference I've found is the triggers get kinda "stuck" if I press too hard down-and-towards the back of the controller. I never noticed I did this with the old controllers because they still slide down just fine. For some reason with the new controllers, if I push the trigger at an angle (sounds weird but is natural to me) they will get stuck a little bit on the way down. This has occasionally caused me to miss shielding an attack. Getting used to it isn't a problem though. Only have an issue once every few days now. I've tested this issue on two other new black "smash logo" controllers and it persists with those as well.
Honestly the shoulder buttons are my biggest concern, is it possible to maybe put in the old system springs from another controller or buy them online and replace them?

Firejew

Smash Cadet
Honestly the shoulder buttons are my biggest concern, is it possible to maybe put in the old system springs from another controller or buy them online and replace them?

The only major difference I've found is the triggers get kinda "stuck" if I press too hard down-and-towards the back of the controller. I never noticed I did this with the old controllers because they still slide down just fine. For some reason with the new controllers, if I push the trigger at an angle (sounds weird but is natural to me) they will get stuck a little bit on the way down.
Since the Sm4sh controllers and the white ones are identical, they both lack the metal bars that keep the triggers sliding smoothly, leading to Makkun's problem.
Taking springs out will make no difference. It is 100% only the metal bars alongside the trigger.
I also posted this already had you read the thread.

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
I think the new controllers are great. I like the Matte feel.

I've committed fully to it and I'm just now finally getting my control stick a little looser, it still has mad recoil though.

Top Bottom