• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Game Mode Concept: Cave of Echoes (Called Dash Through the Maze in Japan)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So Echo Fighters are a thing, as you all know, but we only have seven of them: Dark Samus, Daisy, Lucina, Chrom, Dark Pit, Ken and Richter. And I've seen a lot of talk about having future Echo Fighters in free updates. So here's an idea: a game-mode similar to the Spirit Board called the Cave of Echoes! (Called Dash Through the Maze in Japan)

The Cave of Echoes is a game mode where you explore through a Smash Run-style map in search of Echo Fighters to play as on the roster. Along the way, you'll encounter various enemies that are ported from Smash Run (Darknuts, Clubberskulls, Mettaurs, etc.) as well as new ones, such as Octarians, Mechon, Skeletons (Castlevania) and Angels (Bayonetta). Your job is to find at least one Echo Fighter within 5 minutes, however, even if you reach an Echo Fighter's location, you go through an 'Echo Challange' (Called 'Dash Trial' in Japan). An Echo Challange is an event that can serve as a hint at the opponent you've encountered. When you complete an Echo Challenge, then you fight the Echo Fighter, similarly to Captive Fighter battles in World of Light. Once you've defeated that Echo Fighter, they will be unlocked for you to play in the roster. To go with the Echo Fighter theme, you can only select Echo Fighters to play as. Some of the Echo Fighters, and their Echo Challenges, include but aren't limited to:

Giygas (Earthbound Beginnings): Fighter 24e (Mewtwo):
Echo Challenge: Survive against Mewtwo while the song Magicant/Eight Melodies is playing. You complete the challenge if you hold off until the Eight Melodies fully plays out. Until then, Mewtwo is invincible and has increased power. (A reference to the fact that singing the Eight Melodies is the only way to defeat Giygas.) Giygas will then be faced on the Summit. (A reference to his battle on Mount Itoi.)
Echo Differences:
  • Neutral B: Inexplicable Attack: Giygas will charge a ball of PSI similar to Mewtwo, but the pixels on screen glitch out and distort around it. When it is released, it will have a random effect, ranging from fire to poison to even other characters' unique effects such as Aura or Ink.
  • Side B: PSI Shield: Giygas' version of Confusion can be held to reflect projectiles. Has a duration like Pit's Orbitars.
  • Down B: Homesickness: Giygas' version of Disable causes the opponent hit to kneel on the ground in such a way that they are wishing that they were home in their world, whether it is Pop Star for the Kirby crew, Hocotate for Olimar or Inkopolis for Inkling.
  • Final Smash: Universal Cosmic Destroyer: Giygas charges with power before dissolving into a red mist that covers the entire screen, dealing random effects similarly to the Negative Zone from Smash Brawl. Near the end of the move, Giygas will release waves of Inexplicable Attacks similar to Tabuu's Off-Waves that are powerful when hit before the red mist reforms back into Giygas' form.

Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country): Fighter 36e (Diddy Kong):
Echo Challenge: Defeat two King K. Rools one at a time. The first is a brown King K. Rool that will favor Neutral B. When he is defeated, a white King K. Rool will take his place, this time favoring Up-B. There is a Donkey Kong that is imprisoned while the battle progresses. Defeat the K. Rools and free Donkey Kong to complete the challenge. (Reference to Dixie Kong's apperances in the latter two games of the classic trilogy.) Dixie will then be faced in Jungle Japes.
Echo Differences:

• Up B: Ponytail Copter: Dixie Kong will twirl her ponytail fast enough to propel her upwards. At the end of the move, the player can hold the B button to hover downwards, similarly to Peach/Daisy's jump mechanic.
  • Hyper Barrel Blast: Similar to Diddy Kong's Hyper Rocketbarrel, but sacrifices some ramming damage in favor of throwing banana peels. And unlike Diddy Kong, Dixie uses the bongo jetpack from Donkey Kong Barrel Blast.

Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII): Fighter 49e (Little Mac):
Echo Challenge: Land all your specials from weakest to strongest (damage-wise) before finishing with a Final Smash. (This is a reference to how Tifa's Limit Breaks work.) If using Ken, input specials such as the roundhouse kick and axe-kick, in addition to input versions of B-moves will not count towards this goal. Tifa will then be faced in Midgar.
Echo Differences:
  • Neutral B: Beat Rush: Tifa will punch forwards up to four times based on how many times you press the button. Each punch is equivalent to Little Mac's Straight Lunge when used before charging.
  • Side B: Somersault: Tifa will jump forwards and bring an upwards kick before landing. Animation-wise, is different from Jolt Haymaker.
  • Up B: Dolphin Blow: Tifa will fly upwards, using a Dolphin for leverage. Unlike Rising Uppercut, Dolphin Blow doesn't change based on whether or not you're airborne, and doesn't hit multiple times. Has the same vertical coverage as Little Mac's airborne Up-B.
  • Down B: Limit Break/Meteor Strike: Tifa will charge her Limit Break, automatically or manually, similar to Cloud. Limit Beat Rush will use all four hits and functions similarly to Mii Brawlers Side-B 1. Limit Somersault covers more horizontal distance and deals more damage. Limit Dolphin Blow covers more height and has some horizontal control. Meteor Strike is a forwards-lunging command grab that functions similarly to Mii Brawler's Side-B 3. Tifa will grab the opponent, jump upwards, then toss them into the ground and creating an explosion that damages other opponents.
  • Final Smash: Final Heaven: Tifa will enter a stance, then streak forwards with a punch. The first opponent hit will be subjected to an explosion that reaches the top of the screen and damages multiple enemies.
  • Stats-wise, Tifa sacrifices power to her ground-based moves to make her air-based moves more powerful in such a way that both are balanced. Her aerial moves are also taken from other characters to reflect this.

When a new Echo Fighter is released into the Cave of Echoes, they will be in there for life, no limited events, no money required to pay, nothing. They will remain there until they are unlocked. When you unlock Echo Fighters, you will gain more Echo Fighters to play as in this mode. Over time, more Echo Fighters will be released into the Cave of Echoes.

I will update this to make any necessary changes you all may have.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I really think Dixie has enough potential to be unique or a least a semi clone, echo would take away her purpose of character on how reliant she is on her ponytail which would be disappoint many of her fans(including myself) which is why I believe is a really bad suggestion.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah I...don’t think we’ll see any cross-series Echoes, myself.

Plus, the way you described Tifa...she actually seems MORE unique than Little Mac, and Echoes share most if not all B-moves from their originals. Plus, they have to be of similar body types and heights. It’s why Isabelle was a semi clone of Villager and not an Echo.

at least you didn’t suggest Black Shadow as a Captain Falcon Echo...he should also be a semi-clone at most.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Plus, the way you described Tifa...she actually seems MORE unique than Little Mac, and Echoes share most if not all B-moves from their originals. Plus, they have to be of similar body types and heights. It’s why Isabelle was a semi clone of Villager and not an Echo.
I will admit, looking back, I made Tifa more semi-Echo than full-on Echo Fighter. In my mind, I wanted to make Tifa sort of a Ken-esque Echo while still making her similar to Little Mac. That's why I tried to do some research and find the Limit Breaks that seem the most similar to Little Mac's specials while also giving her the Limit Gauge I believe all future FF7 reps should share with Cloud. Not to mention, looking at Little Mac and Tifa side-by-side, despite there being a multi-gender Echo Fighter with Marth and Lucina, I guess her body shape is much more distinct than Mac's. She's more slender and athletic as opposed to Mac's muscular figure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom