• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW Extender Info

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure this is new...correct me if i'm wrong though.

Messing around with Samus the other day and found that you can input the extender grappler while in the air. This means that it will be much harder for people to punish you in tourney games while attempting to get the extender. It cuts the lag of samus's grab by an insane amount. You can jump input the up/down movement on the D-pad while hiting Z and even platform cancel the move...which virtually puts you in minimal harm to your opponent. Furthermore, you can air dodge cancel grapple (where samus flys up super high) and input the externder combination and that also works.

Like I said, if this aint new info then just lock this post up.

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
ya wasn't entirely sure...but i havnt seen anyone do it. then again, i never see any samus's even really attempt the extender.

Violence

Smash Lord
I mentioned this in another thread, and yeah, I've been looking for way to make the extender viable. I think it's good in certain matchups, and on certain stages. Fountain and Yoshi's for example, I've been liking the extender a lot.

You can get it quickly using a jump off of a fresh stock, it won't even use up all of your invincibility if you fast fall the end.

You can get it during a bomb jump, a rising grapple, you can platform cancel it, there are definitely ways to get it, and I'm interested in trying to use it to its full utility.

I'm in the process of uploading some stuff, and I do use the extender in them.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
I wouldnt recommend the extender but aaaaaahhhhhhhh who gives a **** =)

Good samus players dont miss grabs unless they **** up a pivot

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
My friend does this at the start of a match every time with Samus. He only plays with the extender for some weird reason.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
you can do it by just sweet spotting grapple beam too. but I dont like extender cause it takes more time to grab someone than without it.

Violence

Smash Lord
That's actually incorrect, Pluplue, I had the same misconception a while ago.

But the Extender takes exactly the same amount of time as the regular grapple.

That means it covers more distance in a shorter amount of time. Try it out!

Geist

Smash Master
I think by the time it actually reaches max distance, it's easy for your opponent to avoid it by reaction. Fox jumping over your grapple to lead into an usmash is one of the worst feelings ever.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
That's actually incorrect, Pluplue, I had the same misconception a while ago.

But the Extender takes exactly the same amount of time as the regular grapple.

That means it covers more distance in a shorter amount of time. Try it out!
You dont understand :p pressing A at the exact perfect time it hits the other guy is INCREDIBLY HARD and if you dont press a at the exact same time grapple woud grab normally then its obviously slower.
and the grapple beam moves at the same speed extend or not.

Violence

Smash Lord
I accidentally do that sometimes, and that actually makes it whiff more often. Just a well timed press is all you need.

Rat

Smash Lord
pressing A at the exact perfect time it hits the other guy is INCREDIBLY HARD and if you dont press a at the exact same time grapple woud grab normally then its obviously slower.
Here's how it works:
There are 3 windows to grab during the extender.
Frames 18-41 (normal grab length
Frames 42-57 (extended grab length)
Frames 59-94 (Retracting the grapple beam)

Pressing A "activates" the grapple beam for that window. Once activated the grapple beam will grab any target it comes in contact with.

Try this!
Training mode
Get extender
Stand so that your training dummy is right behind you
Grab (the opposite way (don't press L/R!))
Press A once the grapple starts returning (a little after it pauses at full length)

If done correctly you should grab the training dummy at the last possible frame. (Which is behind you)

Also note that the Extender has "no lag". The last possible grab frame is frame 94. Standing grab is 94 frames long.

Geist

Smash Master
Wow I honestly did not know all of that.
cervtbyunfdaf;aksdf extender *****. Too bad it still takes 18 frames commit to.

I kind of wish it was just Samus's standard grapple.

duals

Smash Journeyman
I wish you could like... swing from the grapple...

swing underneath FD and ****..lol

Top Bottom