• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New downsmash technique?

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
A lot of you have probably realized by now that Falco's dsmash range has been nerfed. It barely goes past his body now, while in melee it had much more range.

I've started using a technique that allows me to safely rush a person and get them with a downsmash.

Short hop towards them, air dodge into them (the hand motion is almost identical to wave dashing), and then slam the c-stick down as soon as you hit the ground. There are barely any frames (if any) where you are unprotected in the air, and Falco's dsmash has the advantage of coming out quite fast. In fact, I think if you slam the c-stick right before you hit the ground, it removes all start up lag; I'll try it again tonight to see. This works the best on someone like ike. I know it can be used with any character, but it helps the most with Falco due to his dsmash speed.

I don't have a name for this. Any thoughts?

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
i dont mean to be rude but this doesn't reallly need a name because it's just general game mechanics

edit: hehe..... domo XD

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I'll test it out. This will be very affective against characters that have more range on thier attacks than Falco.

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
:laugh: The name doesn't matter. I was referring to any thoughts on using the technique.
ahh... in that case then yes it is useful.... i've been using the airdodge into attack since i started playing brawl works really well for characters with range, but for falco and other characters without much range this can be tricky..... and referring to the airdodge into your opponent thing > you'll land it sometimes but if your opponent catches on to what you're doing you'll just get grabbed or SG'd (even though falco's dsmash comes out quick).....but still a very good tool to use for mindgames and spacing

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
I nearly always do this with falco mainly on marth and ike.

Done it on ike while he was swinging a charged a smash and killed him its pretty good =P

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
ahh... in that case then yes it is useful.... i've been using the airdodge into attack since i started playing brawl works really well for characters with range, but for falco and other characters without much range this can be tricky..... and referring to the airdodge into your opponent thing > you'll land it sometimes but if your opponent catches on to what you're doing you'll just get grabbed or SG'd (even though falco's dsmash comes out quick).....but still a very good tool to use for mindgames and spacing
Yes but if you mix it up with short hopped dairs and short hop RAR bairs then it's harder for your opponent to see your pattern and counter.

spiegel

Smash Rookie
i'll try this out, adding another opener attack is always good because it keeps the opponent guessing at what you are going to do. thanks for the tipredgreenblue

Jun.

Smash Lord
i hope this works. but doesn't that mean basically every character can do this dodge cancel smash? if so, alot of characters will become a whole lot more scary....

IrArby

Smash Ace
**** it! Air Dodging is so broken now. At least triangle jumping was harder and more dangerous to execute. Turtleing FTW!

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yea. Camping, playing defensive until the attacker commits and you shieldgrab them. No real attacking just . . . waiting. But its now more advantageous (and also much easier) than ever to not attack and wait to be attacked.
Here http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=36172&highlight=Turtleing
1st Post by TWP. This is how smash is played now. Melee CPUs would approach you everytime but Brawl CPUs are way more hesitant now. Thus Turtleing.

oceanz11

Smash Rookie
this is just my opinion, it obviously is not up to me whether or not this technique deserves a name. I think a good name for this would be a quick spike or soemthing along those lines. Again, feel free to correct me or flame , w/e

Koscu

Smash Cadet
Try this:

Short Hop - Fast Fall - Air Dodge with SHIELD just before you hit the ground - Tap Grab AGAIN the frame you hit the ground and Smash both your analong and the c-stick down at the same time

you should touch the ground, get a bubble frame, then smash immediately.

If you get fast enough with it, you can start smashes instantly off a jump.

Its better explained here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156287

Top Bottom