• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new discoveries with marth

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
I think i found some new discoveries that will hopefully change the marth meta. If these were aleady discovered then sorry for wasting your time. Btw these have all only been tested on diddy but im preety sure it will still work on others.

First thing i discovered is down throw give us so many more options than we think. First if they are at low percent down throw them and see how they react like if they air dodge, jump, di away, di up, di down , di in, attack, etc. Next depending on their reaction decide on what would be the best option to cover that. Since most people will react with what they are most confortable with they mostlikely will do it again. Now here are some new down throw options you sould try. If they air dodge insted of mindlessly attacking see if he DIs back or forward, most of the time it will be back. Now next time down throw and either full hop or short hop(depends on what you feel would be best for the situation, but you usually want to full hop to get them to think you will attack) the direction the opponent is going and fastfall next to them. Since they airdodge they will suffer from the landing lag giving you an oportunity to regrab and repeat or attack.

If they Di away, down or up here is another thing you can do instead of just hitting out an air attack and reatreating. When you down throw see which way they Di. Next full hop side b and depending on the way they Di use your side b in the opposite direction of the way they go. For example if i down throw diddy and they di up then i do the side b downward full combination on him and if you do it right the side b down 3 should hit him down so he will fall into your side b down 4. If they Di away tho you use your normal side b combo.

Here are Some other options to a forward throw other than fair or nair. After forward throw dash after them and when you get in close do a shorthop forward b 1. Getting this takes some practice but a few minnutes in training mode will help you find the spaceing. Once the side b1 hits you have many options. If there at around 5% or under a good combo is side b1 nair to down tilt to tipper fsmash. Another combo that could work is side b1 to fastfall up air to up tilt or up smash or another up air or nair or footstool.

An example of a combo like this that i tried on diddy in training mode is f throw-sh side b1- up air- up tilt-up smash-uptilt-fullhop backair- fair, nair,side b combo, fastfall fsmash, etc.

I also learned that in smash 4 marths side b1 has alot of ending lag so he cant do anything out of it (unless he doesnt mind getting hit), but his side b2 up has very little ending lag plus hits the opponent in the air alowing for a grab or jab, uptilt, up b, down tilt, etc.

Another big thing that i found is that marths dair tippers if you hit them when they are on the ground. They dont go into the air untill around 24% but when they do it gives you time to fastfall under them and punish.

If you do a side b down combo and stop at the 3rd one marth is in perfect spacing to shutter step fsmash, but this is really hard to get down.

If you dash and slowly realease the stick back to neutral you can cance you dash with a sliding sheild breaker. If you perfectly time it to where you press the b right when its in the middle the hit it in the other direction you will do a pivot side b.

If you full hop then double jump and at the same time shield break you will do a gliding shield break on the ground.

If there is anything that has already been said please let me know and if there are other things you have discovered i would love to hear what they are.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Conditioning and physics mechanics are not discoveries.

But good effort.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Um... ^^"
http://smashboards.com/guides/the-blade-of-two-fates-marth-lucina-guide.89/

Unfortunately, I've covered nearly everything here except for the DB down 3 to Stutter Step FSmash, the running to SB (which was covered by someone else I believe), and the DAir one was a nice note but I think that one was fundamental Marth stuff.

Though its good that you've figured all this out on your own ^^ Good job dude

Last edited:
Top Bottom