• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New controller suggestion

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
I currently use the gamecube wavebird controller, but recently, considering its old, when i have tried airdodging or smashing with the c-stick, nothing happens and i just stand there- i then proceed to hit the c-stick in that same direction 3-4 times until it works again, until a match or 2 later when it happens again - So i'm probably going to get a new gc controller- would another wavebird be good, or does a plugged in controller have faster response time? Also, are there any different/special/better for brawl controllers that anyone recommends? Thanks

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I personally don't like wavebirds for Brawl, they never quite work right for me. Once I was playing a 4 stock 1v1 match against my friend (Lucas) while I was using Marth. He perfected me and I gave less than 100 damage that game because the wavebird felt so awkward and sometimes didn't respond. He said I was just being a wuss so I got my GC controller and threestocked him.

I recommend using the normal GC controller with the wire. Not the purple one though, those look crappy.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Wavebirds are fine. My friend plays an amazing ZSS with one.

I personally don't like wavebirds for Brawl, they never quite work right for me. Once I was playing a 4 stock 1v1 match against my friend (Lucas) while I was using Marth. He perfected me and I gave less than 100 damage that game because the wavebird felt so awkward and sometimes didn't respond. He said I was just being a wuss so I got my GC controller and threestocked him.

I recommend using the normal GC controller with the wire. Not the purple one though, those look crappy.
A Marth should never lose to a Lucas... was your Wavebird on the right channel?! lol. YOU HAVE INFINITES.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Due to the data being transmitted, relayed, then decoded, there is a very slight lag in button response compared to a wired controller, but not enough to be noticeable to humans or affect gameplay.
<3 wikipedia

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
I currently use the gamecube wavebird controller, but recently, considering its old, when i have tried airdodging or smashing with the c-stick, nothing happens and i just stand there- i then proceed to hit the c-stick in that same direction 3-4 times until it works again, until a match or 2 later when it happens again - So i'm probably going to get a new gc controller- would another wavebird be good, or does a plugged in controller have faster response time? Also, are there any different/special/better for brawl controllers that anyone recommends? Thanks
I've had that problem before. Just reset the wii and you'll be fine.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
<3 wikipedia
Ah, no wounder when I press like three buttons it didn't respond right on the Wave Bird just about a year ago.

Thanks to that I swiched to the Classic Contorler and it works wonders for me, it's just that you have to save your setting on your Wiimote to make it easier to travel to Wii to Wii, and carry at least one Gamecube controler, (though since the odds of the people you fight in a tourney that has another controler that's not Gamecube, that would be 23%, you might not need it). If you want to have a lot of button combnation, go Wiimote and Nunckuku like two of my friends, if you want a fimiler feel like the Gamecube controler but with softer controls, go Classic, and if you want easy controls, go Wiimote alone though I wouldn't recomend that.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Yeah I know Marth shouldn't lose to Lucas lol

Maybe the Wavebird was just old and bad with worn batteries, but still...I prefer the standard GC controller with the cord.

Nicole

Smash Champion
i would just use a GC controller with a chord, though wavebirds should work alright, i've never had any trouble when i use them in friendlies. still don't quite trust them for the tournament scene though!

Zeruda

Smash Cadet
I'd just up and buy a wired GCN controller- get the new one that has "Wii Compatible" written on the front- it's very sturdy.

Aesthetic

Smash Cadet
I use a wavebird for Brawl, and all my other games, and to be honest, I don't notice any lag at all, and I play just fine.

Except on WiFi I use a wired control.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
I'd just up and buy a wired GCN controller- get the new one that has "Wii Compatible" written on the front- it's very sturdy.
This man speaks truth, the new GC controllers feel way more responsive and if there is Wavebird for the new ones then it should probably work better.

And not to brag, but I play on a modded CC which plugs into the GC port, which means I can use it for Melee.

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
This man speaks truth, the new GC controllers feel way more responsive and if there is Wavebird for the new ones then it should probably work better.

And not to brag, but I play on a modded CC which plugs into the GC port, which means I can use it for Melee.
Where do they sell these new GC contollers? Gamestop? They sound like a needed improvement

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Where do they sell these new GC contollers? Gamestop? They sound like a needed improvement
I have yet to see them ot Gamestop or Gamecrazy, and it's only because they have so many old GC controllers that are gathering dust on shelves, that they won't order the new ones.

You can find them online or at low profile nearby gamestores.

CrAzYdRuNk

Smash Cadet
It really doesn't matter that much. Depends on what you like, and where you play from. My Wii is a substantial distance from my couch (where I play from, which is too far for a GC cord to reach) so I use a Wavebird. But when I play at a friend's, we both use corded because his chairs are close enough to use and feel comfortable with.

Top Bottom