• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Control Scheme - In-depth look at all the changes + Extras

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought it'd be useful to inform the masses about the minor changes in the controls they put into Brawl. I use a Gamecube controller, so I have no idea what the buttons are called on the Wiimote + Nunchuk or Classic Controller.

This thread will only make mention of things that have been changed. Anything that isn't mentioned is still in. I heard someone say Reverse Neutral B was out, but it's in. Sheik can still turn around in the air using her needles.

Anyway, onto the control changes:

The C-stick:
The C-stick has gotten the most changes made to it out of all of the parts of the control. Make sure to read through all of it.
1) It will now work the exact same in Single Player as in any of the Versus Modes (yay)
2) It can now be used to perform tilts. So if you're holding a certain direction on the control stick, C-sticking in that direction will make you perform that direction's tilt instead. However, this directions you're not holding will still perform smashes.
3) It will no longer throw bludgeoning items (like the Homerun bat, Lip's stick, Star Rod, etc.) or guns of any kind. C-sticking Up and Down will make you perform the respective smashes/tilts while C-sticking to the side will make you carry out an Fsmash with the item you're holding (like a Homerun Bat Fsmash or a Lip's Stick Fsmash). C-sticking while holding a weapon which fires bullets will make it fire a volley. If it's the Superscope, you'll fire 5 bullets. However, if you start spamming A right away, it'll carry on firing the rapid fire string as if you'd used the A-button in the first place.

Note: So, in order to let go of bludgeoning items and guns, you now have to use Z (just Z to let it go or Z + a direction to throw it).

4) The C-stick can no longer be used to perform tilted smashes. Do not ask me why, you just can't use the C-stick for it.
5) The C-stick can no longer be used to perform throws. Using the C-stick with an opponent grabbed (no matter which direction) will simply make you use your "Hit them while they're grabbed"-attack.
6) The C-stick is no longer analog. You cannot just turn it half-way to use it, you have to smash it all the way down/up/left/right.

The A-button: For most characters, holding A will make you perform your characters' entire jab-sequence minus possible rapid fire sequences like Fox's. There are some exceptions, however. Characters with little to no lag after their jab sequence will continously jab should you hold in A. This includes Pikachu and Meta-Knight. So it's practically impossible to mess up Pikachu's headbutt infinite against a wall! Just hold A!

The Z-button: On the ground, it works the same as in Melee. However, in the air, it can no longer be used to perform aerials. The only thing the Z-button can do in the air now (should you not have a special Z-button tether recovery like Link's hookshot) is airdodge and catch items. If you're too far away at the start of the airdodging animation, hitting Z can actually make you airdodge and catch the item (just like in Melee with L/R + Z). This means there's no possible way to perform a Neutral Air besides using A.

The Directional Cross: Offline, each direction will trigger a taunt. You only have three taunts, though, so Left and Right will perform the same taunt. When Online, you can input written taunts (short ones) to be used when you use the Directional Cross.

Running: There are now three different walking speeds. I'm not sure but I think there were only two in Melee (I don't walk much). Each walking speeds is noticably different from the one before and/or after it and each speed also has a distinct animation (which is easy to separate from the others). Marth's slowest walking speed has him walk with a hand on his waist with the other dangling his sword pretty low (even I think that's a bit too queer).

Item Catching during Aerials: During the start of an aerial, you will now catch any items close enough for you to catch. Incidentally, they made it easier to catch items (greater range) for Brawl as well. This might lead to a lot of unintended and unwanted item catching so us projectile spammers should try to device strategies for item catch baiting. This "technique" works with all A-button aerials.

Tripping: Many already know about tripping, which is a randomly occuring events which can happen whenever you move forward. You'll trip over yourself and fall down, leaving yourself open. But did you know that you can do it in the air as well?! And even while being attack? I was in the air and got dashattack and tripped... in the air.

Clashing: When two ground moves that aren't too far apart priority-wise come into contact with each other, they used to clash. You know, there was a distinct sound and both attacks would cancel each other out. Only... we need a new name. Because it still works the same... only there's no sound made.

This is a work in progress. Give me tips if there's stuff I've forgotten to cover that should be in here.

Life Stealing in teams is apparently done by pressing A + B now.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What does this mean?
Mario (he still has it), for example, has a special Forward Smash. He can tilt it to either go straight forward, diagionally upwards or diagonally downwards. Other people can do this as well (it also works with certain actual tilts - tilting tilts).

In Melee, you could angle these forward smashes using the C-stick. However, you can't anymore. It can onl be done using the control stick now.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
You should have just said diagonal smashes then, It would have been clearer. Also an air tripping video would be interesting.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You should have just said diagonal smashes then, It would have been clearer. Also an air tripping video would be interesting.
It's common Smash lingo to call them tilted smashes (I think).

And I'm pretty sure I tripped in the air (thrice). I was kinda tired from staying up all night to unlock everything for an anime convention, but I'm almost 100% positive I actually tripped.

It looked everything like a trip (only in the air), I dropped to the ground like lead and then I got stuck in the "Whoops! I just tripped!"-animation. So I'm pretty sure aerial tripping exists.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
I've seen a match where someone tripped in the air, alas I've seen so many Brawl matches it would be madness to try and find it.

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
No life stealing in teams. Teams can no longer be played comptitively! All you need to do is kill off one of the opposing team's players and they'll be stuck with a player at 4 or so stocks against two players.
Um... I think I read someone say it's done with A + B instead of start this time. I've also seen this done in one video so it definitely in.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
No life stealing in teams. Teams can no longer be played comptitively! All you need to do is kill off one of the opposing team's players and they'll be stuck with a player at 4 or so stocks against two players.

If the players are all good, it all boils down to whoever can kill off the opposing team's lesser player first.

Press the Attack+Special button together to take a teammate's exra stock in teams. Different input presumably to prevent accidental pausing.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
no life stealing? fkn sakurai
Didn't you read all the replies correcting that? Life Stealing is still in, just with a different button input.

And there are three taunts, not two.

Geez Yuna, maybe you're rushing it too much with these topics.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was more amused/annoyed by the sudden call of "Teams can no longer be played competitively!" than the error of not realizing that life stealing uses a different input now. Even though that has been brought up on separate occasions already by a few posters who've told us that the input was different.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've seen a match where someone tripped in the air, alas I've seen so many Brawl matches it would be madness to try and find it.
Finally someone who corroborates my story. People have been questioning my claim of air tripping ever since I first made it.

Anyway, about Life Stealing, in Teams, I tried a lot of things, I tried each button separately, then I tried mashing around wildly. I guess I didn't manage to press A + B at the same time. Sorry for that. First post fixed.

About the taunts, yes, of course there are three taunts. That was a mistype.

Top Bottom