• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NEW] chozN's Chain Jab technique

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
This is a universal technique, meaning, any character can do it – You simply need to get the timing of the draw down.

You throw a punch (A) and then when they draw their arm back, you crouch. Crouching cancels the initiated neutral A combo. Then you can throw another attack out that normally would be the second (or third) move of the A combo. Crouching too fast won’t make it work. You need to wait until the arm begins to come back, and then crouch cancel by simply slapping Down on the control stick.

They will rise (in frames sometimes unseen, as seen in video), allowing you to do A combo again, smash, F-tilt, etc with reduced lag time.
Reminds me of WD, like when I first tried it out. I was so horrible cuz the timing was off, but you'll get used to it. Every char has their own rhythm. Try it out for your character.

- chozN’s Chain -Jab
Source:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4l94S-6nn1o

chozN

Smash Rookie
wasnt this already in melee
In melee, they didnt show animations of every action like they do in brawl. Perhaps you could do something close to this in melee, but in brawl, crouching helps reduce the lag time so you can continue to jab and cancel the neutral A combo.

Melee = Lack of animations
Brawl = Full animation

chozN

Smash Rookie
the only crouch canceling move in melee was to reduce knockback. this is different.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Seems pretty useful. I wonder if it would work with every character....

chozN

Smash Rookie
Seems pretty useful. I wonder if it would work with every character....
it does. Just gotta get the timing down.

Like in Melee with the wave dash, the rhythem for different characters upon jumping and landing is different.

Just slap down on the control stick whe they draw back their arm.

ytv

Smash Apprentice
This is very interesting, I'm gonna test this with meta knight and see how useful it is. Thanks for the info.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
1) This could be done in Melee (yes it could). It just looks different now.
2) It's not like this is even good. On shield, you'll still get shieldgrabbed because of the ridiculous "No shieldstun!"-thing so unless you can somehow cancel it into a spotdodge and have it come out fast enough for the shieldgrab to whiff, no safety for you. On hit, people can DI + Nair, DI + airdodge, DI + 2nd jump or any of the above as standalone escape techniques out of it.

chozN

Smash Rookie
2) It's not like this is even good. On shield, you'll still get shieldgrabbed because of the ridiculous "No shieldstun!"-thing so unless you can somehow cancel it into a spotdodge and have it come out fast enough for the shieldgrab to whiff, no safety for you. On hit, people can DI + Nair, DI + airdodge, DI + 2nd jump or any of the above as standalone escape techniques out of it.
ya you're right, but there's a time and place for every move; I use this when Samus does her Dair on a low percentage opponent, then when they are propped in the air, i chain jab, sort of juggling them.

lol ofcourse it can be shield grabbed out of. but good lookin out.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Umm... the fact still remains, the chain jab is easily escaped (and punished, DI out of range and throw out a fast (and highly prioritized) aerial).

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Like Chozn said, everything has a time and place, edge guarding technique? or perhaps 1-2 chain jab into uptilt or grab. There is huge mind game potential for it and combo, Yuna ur always so pesemistic about new techniques or old ones rediscovered.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
You can't DI then do something else quickly enough to escape another neutral a out of a single neutral a... that's what the point of this is. Using the hitstun from the neutral a to do another neutral a in succession. Neutral a usually has enough range so that your character can safely hit a shield with it and not get shield grabbed (unless you're using a character with little range or up against a DK or DDD). And if you do get shielded then... well don't get shielded. Interlace it with other moves so you catch the opponent by surprise. Nobody has quick enough reflexes to react to a neutral a at a random time in the match.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I have a question: does this really cut out the lag at the end of the second punch, or does it just reset the AAA buffer?

I know it was in Melee, but in Melee it just didn't work very well. At least not in the PAL version of the game that I had. It didn't seem useful at all.

Jabs are a lot more useful in Brawl. This at least looks like it makes the lag at the end of your second hit go away somewhat, which could prove useful for characters like Lucario, who already have multiple combo options after two jabs without any canceling.

pyrnight

Smash Journeyman
I think its ok, you can probably catch somebody offgaurd with this for a bit of damage, or even a bit of shield pressure if you are behind them (no grabs)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't DI then do something else quickly enough to escape another neutral a out of a single neutral a... that's what the point of this is.
You can if Sheik jabs twice, jab-cancels and then starts jabbing again.

Using the hitstun from the neutral a to do another neutral a in succession.
Yes, it's called jabbing twice in quick succession. But even that is now shieldgrabbable since Brawl has almost no shieldstun!

Neutral a usually has enough range so that your character can safely hit a shield with it and not get shield grabbed (unless you're using a character with little range or up against a DK or DDD).
That's called "spacing". If you're that spaced, chances are, they'll DI out of it quite fast.

And if you do get shielded then... well don't get shielded. Interlace it with other moves so you catch the opponent by surprise. Nobody has quick enough reflexes to react to a neutral a at a random time in the match.
"Don't get shielded"? Great advice.

We aren't psychic. We just try to predict what the opponent's gonna do. If my opponent is near me, I'll throw out good moves with high priority or shield if I expect an attack.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
I used this today, was not very good at all ^^
I mean, it is really easy to DI out of it, you could as well use your infinite A for more damage and the same punishment from your opponent ^^

Top Bottom