• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Here's a new way to look at things I thought of... What if each of the clone characters acted as somewhat of a replacement or tribute to one of the SSB4 newcomers? You'll see what I mean in a second. Here are my suggestions:

SSB4 Newcomer - Greninja - Arguably bad-ass, humanoid Pokemon that warps around.
Project M Clone Character - Mewtwo - Arguably bad-ass, humanoid Pokemon that warps around.
SSB4 Newcomer - Lucina - Fire Emblem Marth clone (in the moveset sense), a Lord.
Project M Clone Character - Roy - Fire Emblem Marth clone (in the moveset sense), a Lord.
SSB4 Newcomer - Mega Man - Blue robot that fights for a good robot doctor to beat up 8 other robots, finally putting an end to an evil doctor.
Project M Clone Character - Skapon - Pink robot that fights for a good robot doctor to beat up 8 other robots, finally putting an end to an evil doctor.
SSB4 Newcomer - Villager - Animal Crossing representative who uses unorthodox moves
Project M Clone Character - Tom Nook - Animal Crossing representative who uses unorthodox moves
SSB4 Newcomer - Wii Fit Trainer

SSB4 Newcomer - Rosalina & Luma

SSB4 Newcomer - Little Mac - Highly-wanted main character of a series that has a few games, but previously unrepped. Awesome ground game. Terrible air game.

Project M Clone Character - Isaac - Highly-wanted main character of a series that has a few games, but previously unrepped. Awesome ground game. Terrible air game.

SSB4 Newcomer - Mii Fighters

SSB4 Newcomer - Palutena - Green-haired lady that a lot of people wanted
Project M Clone Character - Lyn - Green-haired lady that a lot of people wanted.
SSB4 Newcomer - Pac-Man

SSB4 Newcomer - Robin - Didn't really need to be added, but why not? Can use swords AND magic!
Project M Clone Character - Ganondorf - Didn't really need to be added, but why not? Can use swords AND magic!

The last two were more fillers, but it's the best I can do to get 7 out of the current list of known newcomers.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Here's a new way to look at things I thought of... What if each of the clone characters acted as somewhat of a replacement or tribute to one of the SSB4 newcomers? You'll see what I mean in a second. Here are my suggestions:

SSB4 Newcomer - Greninja - Arguably bad-***, humanoid Pokemon that warps around.
Project M Clone Character - Mewtwo - Arguably bad-***, humanoid Pokemon that warps around.
SSB4 Newcomer - Lucina - Fire Emblem Marth clone (in the moveset sense), a Lord.
Project M Clone Character - Roy - Fire Emblem Marth clone (in the moveset sense), a Lord.
SSB4 Newcomer - Mega Man - Blue robot that fights for a good robot doctor to beat up 8 other robots, finally putting an end to an evil doctor.
Project M Clone Character - Skapon - Pink robot that fights for a good robot doctor to beat up 8 other robots, finally putting an end to an evil doctor.
SSB4 Newcomer - Villager - Animal Crossing representative who uses unorthodox moves
Project M Clone Character - Tom Nook - Animal Crossing representative who uses unorthodox moves
SSB4 Newcomer - Wii Fit Trainer

SSB4 Newcomer - Rosalina & Luma

SSB4 Newcomer - Little Mac - Highly-wanted main character of a series that has a few games, but previously unrepped. Awesome ground game. Terrible air game.

Project M Clone Character - Isaac - Highly-wanted main character of a series that has a few games, but previously unrepped. Awesome ground game. Terrible air game.

SSB4 Newcomer - Mii Fighters

SSB4 Newcomer - Palutena - Green-haired lady that a lot of people wanted
Project M Clone Character - Lyn - Green-haired lady that a lot of people wanted.
SSB4 Newcomer - Pac-Man

SSB4 Newcomer - Robin - Didn't really need to be added, but why not? Can use swords AND magic!
Project M Clone Character - Ganondorf - Didn't really need to be added, but why not? Can use swords AND magic!

The last two were more fillers, but it's the best I can do to get 7 out of the current list of known newcomers.
Maybe the idea can appeal to some people, but I don't think characters should be consciously chosen with this mind because the PMBR have stated before that they don't necessarily wanna be seen in opposition with Smash 4. I think including 5 characters that are suspiciously familiar to the ones in Smash 4 wouldn't really be the best idea--from Nintendo's perspective we could be seen as somehow "stealing" some character concepts from Smash 4, and from potential fans' perspective the characters all look like strange alternate versions of Smash 4 characters instead of being unique characters in their own right, which wouldn't be all that appealing. That said, if people like these characters enough, it's fine to want them but like I said, maybe not by consciously making Smash 4 newcomer expies.

Last edited:

Ginge

Smash Ace
Isaac matches your Robin description, too. Just saiyin.

Personally, I'm against Tom Nook's inclusion. I'm fine with Villager in Smash 4, but everyone knows Resetti is where it's at :p

-1 to Tom Nook if I haven't already. I just don't think he's relevant enough to beat out other characters (such as a DK rep, Isaac, an Advance Wars rep, etc).

While I'm at it, I'd like to remove my support for Primid (I think I gave him a half vote?). I'm not going to outright downvote him, I just no longer like the idea of a Smash rep.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
NAH MANG

Good fire emblem rep right there from the current games.
Seriously. Robin > Lucina by a good green country mile. Marth, Ike, Robin was the best trio that could have happened. Only thing I'm down about is that Robin didn't just come in and fully embrace being a mage/still needed to be saddled with a sword.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Seriously. Robin > Lucina by a good green country mile. Marth, Ike, Robin was the best trio that could have happened. Only thing I'm down about is that Robin didn't just come in and fully embrace being a mage/still needed to be saddled with a sword.
This is where we disagree.

Spellswords are cooler than plain swordsmen or plain mages.

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

THUNDER
ELTHUNDER
ARCTHUNDER
THUNDERCATS

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
This is where we disagree.

Spellswords are cooler than plain swordsmen or plain mages.

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

THUNDER
ELTHUNDER
ARCTHUNDER
THUNDERCATS

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
The only reason I even have/had that belief was because I wanted uneducated people to shut up about Fire Emblem only being good for "durr moar swoards." That and Smash has needed a crazy over the top caster with poses and tomes since forever.

Also:

Thundercats, HAAAAAAAAA?

0/10, see me after class. :p

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Hey all. There were some Takamaru costumes posted a few pages back, but I'd like to chime in with my own, based on things from The Mysterious Murasame Castle IP.

For reference, they're Earth Demon (Red), Aosame (Blue), Ryokusame (Green), Sword Samurai (White+Black), Ayame (Pink), Original NES Palette, and the Captain Rainbow Palette. I do think Project M should go this route if Takamaru makes it in, as it would feel more authentic and more along the lines of what the Smash developers do with their costumes.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
This needs to be a character in Project M

Edit: I am also glad Silver was taken off as a vote option, good riddance, he is one of the worst Sonic characters
What are you talking about? People can vote for Silver. What's wrong with Silver, anyway?

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
If Takamaru is added (Fingers crossed) I want him to be based off of his classic design, nothing newer. That said, I think he should be a bit shorter. Maybe Roy's height.

I almost wish Ridley would get confirmed in SM4SH so I could bump Taka up to a full vote.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
If Takamaru is added (Fingers crossed) I want him to be based off of his classic design, nothing newer. That said, I think he should be a bit shorter. Maybe Roy's height.

I almost wish Ridley would get confirmed in SM4SH so I could bump Taka up to a full vote.
All he has is his classic design (except that blue-haired one, which isn't really canon). Likewise, his SSB4 design is based off his classic

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
All he has is his classic design (except that blue-haired one, which isn't really canon). Likewise, his SSB4 design is based off his classic
He received a canon re-design in Samurai Warriors 3 for the Murasame Castle mode that was included in the game. It's highly detailed and more realistic to fit in alongside the other Warriors characters. While it's close to the original design, it features some nice new elements like a hawk motif on his vest, and a gold trim along its edges.

Last edited:

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
Did you really just edit my quote just in an attempt to bring up Primid?

Speaking of whom, can I remove my half-vote for the character? I'm no longer keen on the idea of a Smash original character. The CE spots should go to Nintendo characters from other series that may never see the light of day.
naw I actually just said that to joke I really understand where u were coming from I was joking but ok ur choice on taking a vote away

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
He received a canon re-design in Samurai Warriors 3 for the Murasame Castle mode that was included in the game. It's highly detailed and more realistic to fit in alongside the other Warriors characters. While it's close to the original design, it features some nice new elements like a hawk motif on his vest, and a gold trim along its edges.
I dunno though... I don't think a redesign for a third-party game could be called "canon"

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

You and me both. Also, a tall Takamaru would be pretty cool. Would be a nice way of diversifying the swordsmen visually (not like the samurai aesthetic wouldn't do so already). This also makes me wonder what would be done for his speaking roles/grunts/general voice acting should he get chosen.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
This also makes me wonder what would be done for his speaking roles/grunts/general voice acting should he get chosen.
Would they be able to rip the sound files used for Takamaru from Samurai Warriors 3? The bad voice acting would fit right in alongside all of the others in the game.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Hey all. There were some Takamaru costumes posted a few pages back, but I'd like to chime in with my own, based on things from The Mysterious Murasame Castle IP.

For reference, they're Earth Demon (Red), Aosame (Blue), Ryokusame (Green), Sword Samurai (White+Black), Ayame (Pink), Original NES Palette, and the Captain Rainbow Palette. I do think Project M should go this route if Takamaru makes it in, as it would feel more authentic and more along the lines of what the Smash developers do with their costumes.
As much as I like (read: love) the Shichika design a few pages back, I feel inclined to agree with this. Keeping Takamaru's alts based on his source material would be more tasteful.

Besides, all I need is Takamaru confirmed. it doesn't take much to make a texture hack. For example, i've been fiddling around with the idea of a Roy alt based off of Nero from Devil May Cry 4's colour scheme in brawlbox, all because I was in discussion with someone who wanted to make an english soundbank for Roy using Johnny Yong Bosch's vocals as Renton from Eureka Seven.

Though I imagine the leaf pattern on Shichika's hakama would be potentially difficult to implement.

so at this point, I'm really hanging on Lyndis, Sami and Takamaru. the other 2 sots can be whatever. I'm positive Lyndis is a guaranteed shoe-in, Sami is still up in the air (though I have to say it seemed the PMBR went full damage control after the "leak" a few months ago... and even though the link of that 3d render of sami is still up on Vaanrose' sites' homepage, the page it's meant to lead to is mysteriously missing...) but I still have hope, and even with as much support he's getting from this thread Takamaru is really facing an uphill battle. That might change with people sour over his assist trophy status in SSBU/3DS, however.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Perhaps not. It's really the same situation as all of the re-designs for the Zelda characters in Hyrule Warriors.
To be fair, Hyrule Warriors is an actual Zelda game. Takamaru's appearance in Samurai Warriors 3 was, at best, a cameo. That puts the Hyrule Warriors designs a step above Takamaru's as far as canon goes.

But this is Smash so canon doesn't matter anyways. I like the Samurai Warriors design better, but that may just be me.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Takamaru's appearance in Samurai Warriors 3 was, at best, a cameo.
The Mysterious Murasame Castle had a whole game-mode, that's longer than the stories of some of the characters in the game, dedicated to it. Complete with a full story and CG cutscenes. It's considerably sloppier than the rest of the game, and has little production value put into it, but it's a fully fleshed out mode, nonetheless. Takamaru's appearance is much more than a cameo.

But anyway, if Takamaru needs some more details to make him look more interesting in Project M, the best place to take them from is his SW3 design. It shouldn't be overlooked in the design process.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
The Mysterious Murasame Castle had a whole game-mode, that's longer than the stories of some of the characters in the game, dedicated to it. Complete with a full story and CG cutscenes. It's considerably sloppier than the rest of the game, and has little production value put into it, but it's a fully fleshed out mode, nonetheless. Takamaru's appearance is much more than a cameo.
Really? I didn't know he had a game mode. Consider me corrected, although I still wouldn't call it canon.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
so at this point, I'm really hanging on Lyndis, Sami and Takamaru. the other 2 sots can be whatever.
You bumped Takamaru up to a full vote? I'm thinking that if I get a redo, I might bump Saki out of my top 5 and swap his full vote for Ray.

Takamaru (Assuming Ridley gets confirmed)
Lip
Ray
Issac
Sami

Edit: The clothing design from Samurai Warriors is cool, but the color choices and overall character design/model/art from the Famicom box art is better than the overly realistic and detailed SW3 look.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
The Mysterious Murasame Castle had a whole game-mode, that's longer than the stories of some of the characters in the game, dedicated to it. Complete with a full story and CG cutscenes.
to interject, it's probably only intended to be a bonus mode. like Mesal Gear Solid is in ape escape 3.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What I'm loving about Murasame Castle mode in Samurai Warriors 3 is that it picks where the original game ends so it feels like a sequel.
I just unlocked him in free mode. I'm thinking of buying hyrule warriors thanks to him. :D

Btw, Best character to clone takamaru off? I'm thinking Sheik.
Nerf speed, add a katana Or ninjato and perhaps the kunai model could change into a pinwheel when charged, and fire shuriken when fully charged.
Any idea on what to replace the chain whip?

What do you guys think?

Golf Actual

Smash Rookie
Asking two questions in a row like that makes me feel pressured. xD
But, and I don't know anything about Takamaru, but what if his side-B had you hold B and flick the control stick and he'd swing his sword in line with the stick? Kind of like Meta Knight's neutral.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Asking two questions in a row like that makes me feel pressured. xD
But, and I don't know anything about Takamaru, but what if his side-B had you hold B and flick the control stick and he'd swing his sword in line with the stick? Kind of like Meta Knight's neutral.
A special move that you can angle like a tilt or smash attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom