• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challenger Approaching - Diddy Kong!

Florida

イーグランツ
His stance made him look choppy, I wasn't all too pleased with his design. There isn't much to improve, I know, but from the looks of it, they made his design a little worse. I guess I'm glad they work on the fur :p

Diddy Kong looks like a freakin' interesting character, though. Based off of what Sakurai said, Diddy's movements and attacks might be a little chaotic and wild. But I feel that this update lacks in actual information for Diddy. It's cool to know that his jetpack and peanut gun will be included into his moveset, but that was a little predictable. The text could've been more than just three sentences... but I admit that the screens are awesome.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Ah Diddy. Like Ike nobody was too surprised, I'm sure.

I don't really care for Diddy much myself, but at least Donkey Kong got a much needed second rep. I just didn't expect it to happen last night. (so I went to bed... XD)

BentoBox

Smash Master
I might be amongst those who don't really "care" for the character but I won't go as far as state that I certainly won't main him. 4 years ago I never thought that I'd be maining Luigi atm, I never cared much for the character, and I still don't care much for it atm; he's just the char that I'm the most comfortable with and with whom I enjoy playing SSBM the most. Not many people actually cared about Falco before we started realising that he was good. And I should hope that you guys know characters are more than just about looks and flashiness.

Blind speculation ftmfl.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Although I don't care for Diddy, nor will I main him, I think its a nice update to the roster. It'll increase chances of other '2nd rate' characters to appear in Brawl.

IE

CPT Olimar (Which I am willing to bet any money on will appear in Brawl).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Also, I think Diddy will be a middle to top tier. He's similar to Pikachu. Light and fast, but is he has more punch to his air moves then he'll be much better. Considering the tiers still work like they use to.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Gargomon251, there will a tier list for this game. This game can never be truly balanced unless they use the same character over and over again. Characters are going to better than other. That's just the way it is. My guess is that Diddy Kong might be around middle tier at best.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
How the hell can we be determining his tier when we haven't even played the game?

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Diddy was the only character left on my "has 100% chance of being included" list (after Lucario's chances being cut by the Trainer and Sonic's chances being doubted due to various reasons), so I'm glad to see him make the cut. And I love that they're giving franchises with only one representative more to work with, that are deserving anyway (Kirby, DK).

And yeah, speculating tiers this early is kind of goofy. I hate the tier system and don't believe in it at all (I have my own way at looking at the roster), but I understand one will be created. But this early in the game's development? Just silly. I think tournament players are just finding ways to kill time.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Diddy was the only character left on my "has 100% chance of being included" list (after Lucario's chances being cut by the Trainer and Sonic's chances being doubted due to various reasons), so I'm glad to see him make the cut. And I love that they're giving franchises with only one representative more to work with, that are deserving anyway (Kirby, DK).

And yeah, speculating tiers this early is kind of goofy. I hate the tier system and don't believe in it at all (I have my own way at looking at the roster), but I understand one will be created. But this early in the game's development? Just silly. I think tournament players are just finding ways to kill time.

What about Ridley and Dedede. Sakurai seems to be listening to the poll, since two of the top five got confirmed. Dedede is number one so he is a shoe-in. Ridley will most likely get in Brawl. Geno will get in if Square allows it. Aside from Geno, everyone else in the top five is basically a shoe-in.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving Diddy and all, but I'm getting a little uneasy with thoughts of him being a common tourny character. Not because I don't like him, but actually because I know while shooting his peanut popgun we'll all inevitably hear crap like:

"YEA!! YOU LIKE THESE NUTS HUH!!!!!!"
"THESE NUTS ARE TOO MUCH FO JOO"
"MONKEY NUTS FTW!!"
"AHHH I JUST GOT MY NUTS ALL OVER YO FACE BISH!!!!!!!!"

haha, that was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about the peanut popgun.

amazing

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
What about Ridley and Dedede. Sakurai seems to be listening to the poll, since two of the top five got confirmed. Dedede is number one so he is a shoe-in. Ridley will most likely get in Brawl. Geno will get in if Square allows it. Aside from Geno, everyone else in the top five is basically a shoe-in.
I actually think DeDeDe might end up being left out just due to Sakurai's modesty with his own creations; it's confirmed that both DeDeDe and MetaKnight have been up for roster slots since the original Smash but he left them out, feeling his work was getting too much attention.

I have mixed feelings on Ridley. I honestly wouldn't mind it if they did it correctly, I'm just not sure that's possible. I actually want to draw Ridley and put him into some comparison shots to show how plain silly he would look if they do actually scale him down, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think Geno seems kind of unlikely. It seems if they get a Square character that it would be something else.. like Sora or just a generic Black Mage (as seen in Mario Hoops). As much as I'd like to see Geno rebuilt for the new generation of video games.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I actually think DeDeDe might end up being left out just due to Sakurai's modesty with his own creations; it's confirmed that both DeDeDe and MetaKnight have been up for roster slots since the original Smash but he left them out, feeling his work was getting too much attention.

I have mixed feelings on Ridley. I honestly wouldn't mind it if they did it correctly, I'm just not sure that's possible. I actually want to draw Ridley and put him into some comparison shots to show how plain silly he would look if they do actually scale him down, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think Geno seems kind of unlikely. It seems if they get a Square character that it would be something else.. like Sora or just a generic Black Mage (as seen in Mario Hoops). As much as I'd like to see Geno rebuilt for the new generation of video games.
Who says they can't get both? Let me throw this scenario at you. Sakurai is interested in Geno and goes to Square for the rights. Then Square says they are more than happy to let them use Geno. They also say they may use any character from their huge back catalog. Sakurai would obviously jump at the chance. The 1-2 3rd party characters could easilly turn into more. Sakurai probably just said that number to insure people that we wouldn't have half the roster as 3rd party. But, an interesting character with lots of potential could easilly change his mind. He is an artist afterall.

And I think Sakurai will be more inclinded to include more of his creations this time. Why would he leave out the top requested character just, because he's "modest"?

And Ridley could work. He could be maybe 1.5-1.75x the size of Bowser. He doesn't have to be scaled down. Or he could just be Bowser's size. Bowser is pretty big. That's about how big Ridley was in Super Metroid anyway.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
sorry to nitpick, but it's King Dedede, not King DeDeDe. King Dedede is what they use in most of the games, so go by that version of the name please.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
As unpredictable as Sakurai is, it's silly to make assumptions and say that those characters are for sure in. Not everybody on Sakurai's poll for Melee made it, right?

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Gargomon251, there will a tier list for this game. This game can never be truly balanced unless they use the same character over and over again. Characters are going to better than other. That's just the way it is.

What are you talking about? They can't be balanced? I think if the developers have done their jobs, ALL characters have an almost equal shot of winning. Barring certain matchups of course. I can understand how one character may be better than another but NO ONE is better than EVERYONE.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
So, Starmen.net is bogus for sure with their predictions now? Didn't they say that the next newcomer would be Lucas?

Aside from that, cool to see DK get more representation...although I feel my ears bleeding from all the high-pitched HUAH HUAH HUAH HU-HAA 's already...

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
yay for diddy! finally another dk character, its sucked having just dk for the past 2 games, hopefully king k. rool makes it, dk needs his villian

th0rn

Smash Lord
He's back again and about time too,
And this time he's in the mood,
He can fly real high with his jetpack on,
With his pistols out he's one tough Kong,
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune,
But Kremlings beware 'cause he's after you!

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure Dedede is in, but Sakurai is modest, so don't expect his update anytime soon, same for Metaknight.
Diddy looks nice, I wasn't aware he had stars on his shirt, or Nintendo on his hat, but Okay.

Hinari

Smash Rookie
Personally I dont like Diddy, it's not that I wont play him while I'm bored like playing every char in smash when your too exp'ed in your originals. I've never liked DK, and Anyone associated with him, I thought it would be dumb. But of course he may be a little fun to play. His differences from DK though..He's faster and lighter, does'nt really pack so much of a punch, and has projectiles, so in a sence, it's a lighter-Projectilist-Weaker DK. But it definitly will be new seeing him crawll around the stage. Just thought I would post my opinion.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
What are you talking about? They can't be balanced? I think if the developers have done their jobs, ALL characters have an almost equal shot of winning. Barring certain matchups of course. I can understand how one character may be better than another but NO ONE is better than EVERYONE.
What I meant was that some characters have more things going for them than others due to their character attributes. If you want more of a detailed look: see this: www.sirlin.net/archive/game-balance-part-1/

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
As unpredictable as Sakurai is, it's silly to make assumptions and say that those characters are for sure in. Not everybody on Sakurai's poll for Melee made it, right?
We aren't saying EVERYONE from Sakurai's Brawl poll will make it in. We are saying that the top five will most likely get in the game. Dedede was originally supposed to be in Brawl, but as we said, Sakurai was modest and didn't want his creations to take the place of someone else's. This game, he doesn't have to have that same attitude, because the roster will be much larger. And Dedede is a bigger character in the kirby games anyway. He is in more often than Meta.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice

Looks like another glimpse into how he fights, (Don't mind the fire, its an item) What could this attack be? It's gotta be an Air attack, but what? Uair? Could it be a ground attack?

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I've been meaning to post in a Diddy thread for a while.

I'm not one of those rabid DKC fanboys, but I believe Diddy has deserved a spot in Smash Bros. for the LONGEST time. I mean, he's pretty much a main video game character. He's DK's main man. If Diddy didn't make it this time around, I'd be pretty confused and actually angry at Sakurai.
Anyways, I welcome Diddy. He deserves it.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
The developers could try to balance things all they want. It won't happen though. There's way too many factors to completely balance everything.

Some characters are better when items are turned on. See Mewtwo and Pichu.

Some characters are better in Free-for-Alls than others.

Players find certain exploits to make characters better.

And there's probably a lot more that I don't feel like thinking of right now.

As hard as the developers try, there's few if any truly balanced fighting games. There's always a few characters that do well in tournament settings and there's always more that almost never win tournaments. When you throw in highly customized options like items and stages, perfect balance is definitely impossible.

Looks like another glimpse into how he fights, (Don't mind the fire, its an item) What could this attack be? It's gotta be an Air attack, but what? Uair? Could it be a ground attack?
Looks like a u-air similar to Mario, Luigi, Falcon, and Ganondorf.

OlimarPWNS200

Smash Apprentice
u know the thought of diddy kong nvr actually occured to me until i was talking to my friend literary 3 hours before he was updated. i like him though beacuse he is fast and flexable and his moves r good even tho u can see screen shots of him. im gunna use him 100%

Weed

Smash Lord
I was like "****, if Diddy gets in, he's my main."
I really wasn't expecting it.. with the Pokemon Trainer update I dont know what to think.. will all of my "If he gets in, he's my main" characters make it? :S

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I was like "****, if Diddy gets in, he's my main."
I really wasn't expecting it.. with the Pokemon Trainer update I dont know what to think.. will all of my "If he gets in, he's my main" characters make it? :S
"All of your wildest dreams will come true."

binki2lk

Smash Rookie
i play diddy kong on donkey kong 64 and i love when it's radicale armsome and diddy kong is like a rock star
as playing guitar so that's my seventh favorite character in brawl diddy kong

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman

That's definitely an Air move - but it's hard to establish which one. I assumed it was an Uair - like Fox's Uair Flip Kick - but he seems to be rotating the wrong way. It looks like Fox's Usmash in the air!
I say Uair until proven otherwise.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
lmao, Diddy looks okay, but thats just about it. Doesn't look all that great if you ask me, theres no real detail to the fur.

Top Bottom