• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Application of Thunder

WarbL

Smash Rookie
while i kind of want to keep this to myself, I want the game to grow deeper(not thatits a huge discovery).

you can run and jump (i usually shorthop), then use pikas thunder, then immediately pull back in the opposite direction and fall the same way you jumped.

the timing is pretty difficult to repeat, but I have barely toyed with it.

You can use this as a way to thunder off the edge and land right back on, or just as a safer wa to thunder 1 on 1.

Darth Ace

Smash Rookie
It sounds like that trippy "Thunder Slide" thing you get when you're movin forward in the air and then use "Thunder," where you only get the bolt and keep goind forward.
I try to avoid being vonerable (I probably misspelled that, and I appologize for doing so) by following up with a horizontal quick attack to put myself back in the game faster. A generic tactic at best, but it's always helped me win fights in the past.

festizzio

Smash Champion
People have been doing this since 64.
I haven't seen this in 64 or in Melee, at all, so I'm going to assume you're just trying to sound cool.

Great discovery by the way, and it's not double jumping, I tried doing this and double jumping, and this is a lot shorter to the ground.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
This is a good find. It helped me discover some new stuff. Namely that this works not just with Pikachu's thunder but his b attack and many other character's b/down-b attacks as well.

Dreminem

Smash Cadet
it's spelled vulnerable for future reference :).

And do you mean you could short hop off the stage, use thunder, and move back to the stage instead of moving further off the stage? If so then this is a great find. I have to go try it now, brb.

Edit: I don't see how to do this. I jump off and press Down-B and back to the stage at the same time but I can't pull it off. If you mean jump back and use it at the same time then it doesn't seem too helpful TBH.

I still think I am misunderstanding how to do it. Can you please say the button sequence?

Bah, nevermind. I thought you meant that it was his Down-B but I guess I don't know the terms for his attacks very well. I think you can do this with a lot of people who have things like that for their B.

Edit2: This also works very well with the new QAS discovery. Just do a QAS away from your opponent and tap the opposite direction us used it while jumping and then press B right after to keep them off xD. Let me go find the video with this in it.

Edit3: here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAc2x7TcEAI

Fyre

Smash Apprentice
yeah I've messed around with this a little also. It's great cause I approach them then thunder and go back in my original direction, and the bolt keeps you safe from any attacks, and even when people think its over then try to approach and get struck, sometimes leading to a death combo

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Ok, a few notes on this, someone let me know if Im wrong. First of all, when doing a down b, you have to pull back first then do the down b right after, not thunder and then back. Can someone please confirm this for me?

Second, this sort of applies to your post in the game techniques twinkle toes for standard b. At least for pikachu, if you press backwards around the time the thundershock is coming out, then you'll move backwards like you said. However, if you press backwards just slightly after you press b (just late enough to avoid doing a side b), then your thundershock will also turn around in the other direction just as if you were on the ground in addition to moving in that direction. I can't remember exactly, but I think that last part about your thundershock turning around in the air was also in melee.

One final thing, and this is an incredibly weird glitch. I tried using the c-stick for special attacks for QAC, and was trying this out in training. When you use the c-stick (and this only works for the c-stick) to thunder and do backwards movement, you start out with your backward momentum, but the second you hit the c-stick all of a sudden your momentum changes to what it originally was (forward). Depending on what point you allow your momentum to change back, you'll either end up on the side of the thunder you would have with your original momentum, being hit by the thunder, or if you do it really late still on the side of your secondary (backwards) momentum, but closer to the thunder. But here's the thing. This only works if you hold onto the analog stick the whole time. If you wanted to, you can also change your momentum (backwards), let go of the analog stick, and doing thunder with the c-stick will still leave you with your secondary momentum. It's hard to describe unless you try this all out yourself.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Tagxy, that's pretty much exactly what I said if you follow the link I provided xD

And it works for many characters not just Pikachu. Although sadly, for characters that really need it, like Samus, it doesn't work at all.

mcquee23

Smash Rookie
I'm having a terrible time doing this consistantly, and I wouldn't mind making sure I'm clear on what to do. Is the basic idea to change your momentum, then use Thunder? Or to use Thunder, then change your momentum? Or should you be doing both at the exact same time? When I try it I usually end up carrying my momentum forward, or stopping it completely so the bolt hits me. Any advice would be appreciated.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^Hit back on the control stick immediately after using your b move. It should just be a question of how fast you're doing it. If it doesn't work, well, in the words of Sonic the Hedgehog: "You're too slow."

Nachupikachu

Smash Rookie
Nice move. i tried it and its kinda hard to pull off, but it is very useful, u can now really try to KO at the edge with practically no risk of death. :)

Top Bottom