• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Advanced Technique: Distant Pikmin Smashing or DPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFoot

Smash Rookie
I will Soon be putting up footage of this, and after a few hours of thorough investigation, I have not come across a single post either here or anywhere else of what I am about to announce.

Olimar, when using u-smash with pikmin will land on most of the platforms above you on all legal stages except Dream Land, Smashville, center of lylat, skyloft, skyworld, and some odd ones on ps1 and ps2. When this happens, there is a slight delay as the pikmin will land on the platform before quickly dropping back to you. At this time before the drop, you can use that pikmin again for smash attacks.

How this is done. to use U-Smash and F-Smash, You must only have one synced pikmin to you. The most I have currently been able to keep out (keep in mind i discovered this today so I only have about 6 hours of practice doing this) is 2, But to keep it simple, lets just keep one out. While underneath a platform ( I find Battle Field a good practice stage for this as the ending lag of U-smash and amount of time you have to do this is about 1-2 frames) Use up smash. As a visual, watch Olimar, he will do a double tap step with one of his feet, and right as the second time the foot lands is the first moment you will be able to move/ use another move. It is at this time you must either u-smash or f-smash. I find that once you do this the first time doing a second upsmash will allow about 7-8 frames for you to do another input to keep the pikmin on the platform and is a good way to time a very well guard the edge. These extra frames are nice as you can actually guide the pikmin on the platform for a little bit to properly space your attack.

Worried about getting punished for not having any pikmin? Well here is another perk of this tech. You cannot cast the grab animation unfortunately and have the pikmin stay on the platform, what instead happens is your pikmin immidietly syncs to you and does a grab (basically warps right to you since hes still synced to you), as well as still having tilt options (or tilt into your platform placed pikmin smash)

Now, onto the down smash. Olimars down smash works like this. Pikmin 1 goes forward from the direction you are facing, and pikmin 2 goes backward. With is mind, lets apply this to this new tech. While having 2 pikmin out, u-smash the first one onto the platform, and at the right timing, you MUST use a d-smash. If you do not, this will not work as Olimar will grab Pikmin 2. Once you have the first pikmin on the platform and the first d-smash is done, you now have that extended frames to do it again to either move, or turn around, which leads to being able to choose which way each of the pikmin will go once D-smash is used.

I would be happy to explain this further as it will be about a week before I can produce a quality video.

Edit: I would also like to point out that you can throw pikmin onto platforms like on smash ville and use this same technique. The distance for this is quite massive.

Last edited by a moderator:

steelguttey

mei is bei
but yea everyone already knows this. you couldve put it in the olimar advanced techniques thread lol

TFoot

Smash Rookie
Can someone than link me to where this is so called "known". seriously dont see it.

steelguttey

mei is bei
and there was no need to make yourself all high and mighty and "announce" this when there was an advanced techniques thread or a gd in plain sight

TFoot

Smash Rookie
"All in all, it's probably best that this technique isn't ever attempted in a serious match, at least not until a simpler way of doing it is found."

On top of that, this method only works for 3 of the pikmin, is slower and has a chance of fail. This tech is not only consistant, but guaranteed to work and with ANY pikmin.

steelguttey

mei is bei
but its the same thing. put pikmin on ledge. do a smash. magic.

you are still ignoring the second statement i said. dont have to make a thread

steelguttey

mei is bei
and this isnt viable at all considering you can only have 1 pikmin synced to you at the time.

TFoot

Smash Rookie
It is not the same thing. One is chance, one is not. Different moves, frames, speed, and versatility, on top of that, plucking a pikmin does nothing to protect you, while this definitely does.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
It is not the same thing. One is chance, one is not. Different moves, frames speed, and versatility, on top of that, plucking a pikmin does nothing to protect you, while this definitely does.
this barely protects you. pikmin can be lightshielded, then what happens. and what are you gonna do with this protection, run up to them and hit them? with what pikmin?

TFoot

Smash Rookie
1 pikmin synced and 1 pikmin out are 2 majorly different things. and when you are finishing off a stock, exausting to 1-3 pikmin is quite simple and often done by most olimar players anyway, including hungrybox.

TFoot

Smash Rookie
this barely protects you. pikmin can be lightshielded, then what happens. and what are you gonna do with this protection, run up to them and hit them? with what pikmin?
You clearly dont play the game enough.

steelguttey

mei is bei
oh wow never heard that one before.

idk if youve heard but uh

olimar kinda wants more than one pikmin.

steelguttey

mei is bei
and even if youre in a situation without pikmin you shouldnt be wasting your time doing all of this when in that amount of time you can be plucking 3 pikmin and the blocking

TFoot

Smash Rookie
Apparently you cant read either, but for you, I'll reiterate myself in the most clear way possible. You. Can. Have. More. Than. 1. Pikmin. Out. and do this tech.

Also, unless im mistaken, its more important to not waste time and win than to blow your advantage and "block" when you can be completely safe and attack/edge guard.

steelguttey

mei is bei
"How this is done. to use U-Smash and F-Smash, You must only have one synced pikmin to you. The most I have currently been able to keep out (keep in mind i discovered this today so I only have about 6 hours of practice doing this) is 2, But to keep it simple, lets just keep one out."

god you are just an asshole arent you. by more than one pikmin, you mean two? and what advantage. you arent ahving an advantage if you have anything less than 4 pikmin

B.W.

Smash Champion
There are other methods of doing this technique, the pluck method is just one of them.

Every method is frame tight and situational which means that the technique is impractical.

TFoot

Smash Rookie
For you to say its situational without even using it is quite ludicrous. Almost all advance techs are frame tight: Wave dashing, teching, powershielding, Dacus, Glide toss, dragonic, and much more.

steelguttey, yeah, i was able to have 2 pikmin out for 2 of the smashs and 3 for the other after only a few hours of practice, and considering im a yoshi main and have only recently picked up Olimar, I dont see any reason why having all 4 out would be out of reach for any so called "Olimar main"

steelguttey

mei is bei
i said when you have less than 4 pikmni, you should be focusing on getting four pikmin.

steelguttey

mei is bei
and all of those advanced techs are barely frame tight. this is something like 2 frame or 1 frame even.

TFoot

Smash Rookie
1-2 frames is nothing. I do stuff like that with yoshi without even thinking now.

steelguttey

mei is bei
wow woah wow no wey so cool

all im saying is that its a tight link. 1/60th of a frame is something and you still havent answered why the **** you havent posted this in the ADVANCED TECHNIQUE THREAD

B.W.

Smash Champion
No no. It's impractical because it's both frame tight AND very situational.

Like you would almost never use this ever anyway because you can literally just jump and U-Air instead and it does the same thing, and it's easier to do, and also you're in motion when you do it which means you can follow **** up.

This entire argument is stupid, and we already have a thread dedicated to advanced techniques.

@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer plz lock this thread.

Also let's not argue about this anymore cause it is really stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom