• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neutral-Air Tech Cancel?

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, well I was playing around with Lucas just now and discovered something interesting about his neutral air.

When you finish the neutral air, it has two different landing animations, one where where Lucas lands normally, and one where he kind of does a little handstand. You get the handstand one when you are performing the aerial as you land it seems.

Anyway, if you get the handstand animation, it seems possible to cancel your neutral air immediately into a backwards tech. I just mean a normal tech, as if you had been sent flying and on hitting the ground you teched backwards, its the exact same thing. So performed just by pressing L and the opposite direction that Lucas is facing with a certain timing as you hit the ground after using neutral air.

I couldn't seem to tech forward however, or get it to work with any other aerials. But that might just be me. What uses do you reckon this has? Probably just general mix up and mind games to confuse the opponent. Possibly to escape if you have mis-spaced. I've not tested it particularly.

Sorry if this is in any way well known, obvious or anything like that. No idea of the physics behind it, other than maybe it registers Lucas as bouncing on the ground on landing after the aerial, if so then maybe random other characters could use this with some of their aerials?

I discovered it largely because I'm dumb and still try to l-cancel all my aerials >_>

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, so you're saying you can Neutral Air and then in essence immediately roll away? Sounds like a plus to me! Seems rare though that you wouldn't want to keep pressuring their shield afterwards.

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
Ah, right, worked out what this actually is I think.

All characters can do it, essentially its possible if you land with no/little lag to immiediatly go into a spotdodge or backwards roll the second you hit the ground so it looks slightly like a tech. For instance FF a short hop to back roll. Lucas' N-air is just lag free enough that you can still do this, same with say Peach's n-air.

Kone

Smash Master
The lack of lag on lucas' nair is what makes him decent imo. You can follow into neutral a comboes, grabs, uptilts, another neutral aerial etc. But as you say you could roll away, however im not sure what the need int his would be. If anything spotdodge into another move to keep the pressure up. If you need the space then going into a standing a combo usually work.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Oh man... Nair, tech back, short hop, PK Fire waveland, etc.

Putting massive distance between you and the opponent. This would rock.

Top Bottom