• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness's worst match up ever.

Ph.D

Smash Rookie
Mario's FLUUD.
0-100 match up.

- Every time i use Pk2 he just pushes me away with fluud and I helpless fall.

How do you handle a good mario. Just played a friend who is a decent mario main. He isn't very technical, but damn if he can gimp. I can beat many mario's who do not use fluud just fine, but fluud just gimps so hard.

Ph.D

Smash Rookie
recovering low he just aims downward or capes. When i recover low i tend to now have to bounce off wall atleast once, but typically mario never sends me low. If i aim to go lower he usually FLUUD's me as i fall towards stage as well or during double jump.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Recover higher and try to vector his moves so you don't need to use pkt2 to recover. We beat out his up-b fairly easily with our nair, so it's not like he's the only one with a lame edgeguarding tactic in this matchup.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Just kill him before he throws you off stage. I'd say recover low and bait fludd with a pkt2 bounce and the pkt2 the ledge

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Out zone him with Nesses tricky movement options. Mario can get gimped pretty easily. also the tail is bigger on Nesses up b try to harass him with it

Ph.D

Smash Rookie
That is easier said than done. It is really hard to explain because for some reason fluud just feels so good.

He is your typical rolly polly player, but he is able to safely go offensive utilizing fluud until you regain yourself.

It is pretty hard to approach against fluud. It gimps PKT, PKT2, nulls dash attack, grab, and f-air approaches (leaving you open for punishment), shoots you 1000 feet high when you double jump, and cape is good at zoning PKF.

My only thing I can say is play against - not just a great mario, but a great mario who knows how to utilize fluud. I don't think people understand it isn't mario I have trouble with. It is a good mario utilizing fluud. I beat good marios all the time because I can mix up my approaches, but fluud nulls most of my approaches making me a lot more manageable.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Fludd does no damage. If you uses it against you while you are on the stage just shield it and then drop your shield and punish his endlag. If you mistime the shield then you just get sent backwards without taking any damage. Fludd is a horrible move and should only be used to edgeguard certain characters (Ness lol)

Uffe

Smash Hero
As thesage has mentioned, recovering higher would be an optimal choice. However, if you're not high enough, but also not too low, PSI Magnet > PKT2 the normal way or the opposite direction, assuming the stage won't eat it. To better elaborate, the PSI Magnet slows you down a bit in the air, but you should release it right away afterwards as doing so will only lead you to fall further, or leave you open for a dead on attack. Try it out, see if it works, and let me know. I don't fight Mario regularly, but the ones I've dealt with so far have used FLUDD on me and it failed every time. I'm not saying my method is foolproof, though, so don't quote me on that.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
If you say "worst matchup ever," I would say that Marth or DK from Brawl are worse than anything. Literally infinite grab into a kill move, and not at all difficult to set up those options either.

My secondary response is to look at this post by me on another thread explaining my thoughts on Ness' gimpability. The key is knowing your opponents options when you're offstage and attempting to limit the number of times those heavy-handed options can destroy your chances in the match.

Last edited:

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Wow, I'm convinced now. We lose to Mario 100-0. Cape and FLUDD just win. Our recovery is doodoo butter.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Try to recover as low as possible and try to airdodge well. Save your second jump til the last possible moment. Practice recovering with PK Thunder by a wall (you have to hit the very bottom of Ness or you will bounce off).

Also some tips vs. Mario in general:
  • You can PSI Magnet his fireball then roll cancel it to avoid follow ups.
  • He can be PK Thunder juggled. If he uses his cape you can stall it out by making circles then hitting him immediately after.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Ness is an easily gimpable character, and it helps if you play him as a 'doesn't have an Up B recovery' kind of fighter. Similar to Yoshi, Jiggly, etc. Try not to abuse your 2nd jump nor leave the stage with your second jump.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
While mario may have a 100-0 matchup versus ness, RosaLuma has a 110-(-10) matchup versus ness; She doesn't even need to charge her downB, and our upB has a name change to "absolutely useless" when playing against her.

291C

Smash Rookie
While mario may have a 100-0 matchup versus ness, RosaLuma has a 110-(-10) matchup versus ness; She doesn't even need to charge her downB, and our upB has a name change to "absolutely useless" when playing against her.
PKT2 covers more range this time around. I've had luck using PKT a lot earlier than usual... like before I go under the stage. It's kinda all I can do at that point..

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Ness is an easily gimpable character, and it helps if you play him as a 'doesn't have an Up B recovery' kind of fighter. Similar to Yoshi, Jiggly, etc. Try not to abuse your 2nd jump nor leave the stage with your second jump.
This is exactly how I think when I play as Ness. I try to disregard the thought of having any up B at all, and therefor I focus more on staying alive and not relying on it. Very important.

Top Bottom