• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness's Back Throw and KO Percents - The Thread

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Guys I have a question.

Some people swear by DI'ing perpendicular to Ness bthrow trajectory, not opposite to it.
I... honestly don't know anymore. Are we certain that opposite makes you live longer than perpendicular?

Noa.

Smash Master
Guys I have a question.

Some people swear by DI'ing perpendicular to Ness bthrow trajectory, not opposite to it.
I... honestly don't know anymore. Are we certain that opposite makes you live longer than perpendicular?
When I first tested the bthrow percentage I tested holding the control stick in every direction. I tested the 8 cardinal directions, and even tested not holding the stick at all. On the closest ledge and center stage I could survive longest by holding it in the complete opposite direction. I couldn't survive any longer holding any other direction. And the DI was different for bthrowing across the stage, as I stated in the OP.

It is possible that DI changed again with this patch. I haven't tested it since then. And it's possible that maybe for those four hours I was doing something wrong and incorrectly not taking something into account. But if it wasn't changed in the patch, I'm quite sure I'm right. But it's be nice if someone else could confirm that I have the correct DI. If someone else would be willing to test that'd be awesome.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Guys I have a question.

Because some people are still stuck on the idea that vectoring was totally replaced with traditional DI in the 1.0.4 patch, when it's really a combination of those two systems plus a separate "launch speed" factor that changes whether you're holding up or down. Holding up-left or up-right (perpendicular to B-throw's trajectory), depending on which way you're being thrown, gives you exactly the same horizontal knockback as simply holding left/right, but it sends you closer to the top blast zone as well. I just retested Mario myself to make sure about all this. When Ness is on the closest edge of FD, Mario dies at the exact same percents whether he's holding left/right or up-left/right (94% in my case; he lives at 93% for both). But move closer to the middle of the stage and he ends up dying off the top first if you're holding up as well - from the very center of FD, the death percents become 133% and 115% when holding left/right vs. up-left/right. And on the far end of FD, only holding down-left/right will save Mario from dying below 160% - every other direction kills him earlier. Because of the way this system works, holding the stick in the same direction you're being thrown, as opposed to opposite, kills you earlier horizontally as well, so trying to "DI toward the corner" in the same way you would in previous games is a bad idea.

Also @ Noa. Noa. , since Mewtwo's stats were added to the table, the mean and standard deviation values for each of the three ranges should change as well. Not by much, mind you, but for the sake of accuracy I went and calculated the new values:

All Fighters

Distance | Mean | Standard Deviation
Closest | 93.5102 | 8.08322
Middle | 129.69388 | 12.3764
Farthest | 155.6939 | 14.7411

Without Shield Shulk and Smash Shulk

Closest | 93.08511 | 6.98383
Middle | 128.7234 | 9.35229
Farthest | 154.57447 | 11.36881

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
Because some people are still stuck on the idea that vectoring was totally replaced with traditional DI in the 1.0.4 patch, when it's really a combination of those two systems plus a separate "launch speed" factor that changes whether you're holding up or down. Holding up-left or up-right (perpendicular to B-throw's trajectory), depending on which way you're being thrown, gives you exactly the same horizontal knockback as simply holding left/right, but it sends you closer to the top blast zone as well. I just retested Mario myself to make sure about all this. When Ness is on the closest edge of FD, Mario dies at the exact same percents whether he's holding left/right or up-left/right (94% in my case; he lives at 93% for both). But move closer to the middle of the stage and he ends up dying off the top first if you're holding up as well - from the very center of FD, the death percents become 133% and 115% when holding left/right vs. up-left/right. And on the far end of FD, only holding down-left/right will save Mario from dying below 160% - every other direction kills him earlier. Because of the way this system works, holding the stick in the same direction you're being thrown, as opposed to opposite, kills you earlier horizontally as well, so trying to "DI toward the corner" in the same way you would in previous games is a bad idea.

Also @ Noa. Noa. , since Mewtwo's stats were added to the table, the mean and standard deviation values for each of the three ranges should change as well. Not by much, mind you, but for the sake of accuracy I went and calculated the new values:

All Fighters

Closest | 93.5102 | 8.08322
Middle | 129.69388 | 12.3764
Farthest | 155.6939 | 14.7411

Without Shield Shulk and Smash Shulk

Closest | 93.08511 | 6.98383
Middle | 128.7234 | 9.35229
Farthest | 154.57447 | 11.36881
Bless you so much. I completely forgot about this as well. :|

Thanks so much!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Mewtwo's mean kill percent is above 2% of Jiggs but less than 2% of G&W, so in the list he'll get to go in that position. Gaaaah I'm so sorry, I'm a stickler for details AND I WISH I HAD THE RESOURCES TO DO MORE I'MMA SO SORRY ;____;

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Phew man alright thanks for the clarification. I honestly feel a little stupid for asking such a fundamental question.

But for quick reference in general, most attacks that send you at the "Sakurai angle" would be best DI'd towards the user if you're in fear of dying off the top, and towards the opposite corner otherwise, correct?

As a follow up to that question, moves that send you vertically are best DI'd down, or sideways?

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Nice thread. Did you guys test these percents with breaking the momentum with like a jump or something too.

Edit: nvm just read the op again.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Phew man alright thanks for the clarification. I honestly feel a little stupid for asking such a fundamental question.

But for quick reference in general, most attacks that send you at the "Sakurai angle" would be best DI'd towards the user if you're in fear of dying off the top, and towards the opposite corner otherwise, correct?

As a follow up to that question, moves that send you vertically are best DI'd down, or sideways?
Moves that send you vertically are best DI-ed sideways from my memory. I haven't watched the most recent video so this could be different but as far as I know it was only vertical vectoring that was removed and not horizontal, which is why you need to DI if sent vertically rather than try to vector. I think. :p

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
This is one of the best threads so far on this board. I love it. Is there anything else thay can be added to this? I want it to be as complete as possible.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The biggest thing I can think of that could be filled in more would be the rage data. It's really time consuming though, and you'd need a second person DI-ing optimally every time. If you're interested, I'd totally recommend asking Noa about it, the only problem I could think of would be reliability (notice some of the differences between my rage table and Noa's) and I think Noa is labbing Dthrow combos atm so he might be a bit busy.

Noa.

Smash Master
What's really missing is stale moves. Annoying cause you have to test it in smash and can't easily control prevents. But that would be what's missing.

And DI'ing with two controllers is easier than you would think! :)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I tested staling with Teran for a little bit, and found it almost irrelevant. Unless you're spamming Bthrow it's going to be fresh or near-fresh because of all the other moves you're using in between.

Still though, it could be interesting to grab data on.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Sodium levels with this move is over 9000 right now. My character dies at 86 percent at this move on the ledge. Not inlcluding rage... (metaknight) Don't get grabbed smh. :shaker: Thanks for the write up

Last edited:

iNvaZion

Smash Rookie
This is really great information. Gonna save a local copy of that table for reference. Did patch 1.0.7 cause any of this data to change?

Meccs

@Meccs_
Some interesting differences with Bthrow this patch:
Jigglypuff: 79(0)/108(0)/128(-3)
Wii Fit Trainer: 95(+1)/131(0)/154(-3)
Bowser: 110(+1)/152(+2)/179(-3)

Don't have time to look into it right now but it seems like it's a little different but I wouldn't call it a nerf. I think it sends people higher now? Hence characters dying slightly earlier from the farther side of the stage.

Also data for the newcomers:
Lucas: 93/129/152
Roy: 92/128/156
Ryu: 96/134/161

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
You can double check but I'm 99% sure I tested it right. Seems like just a minor trajectory change.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Yep. Only thing I can think of is Ness starts at the same % as the opponent but thats what you did since thats what it does in training mode, right? If so then yeah they should be right

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I got slightly different numbers than Meccs for the newcomers, though they're still pretty close.

Character | Closest | Middle | Farthest | Mean
Lucas | 93 | 130 | 157 | 126.666
Roy | 92 | 130 | 156 | 126
Ryu | 96 | 135 | 162 | 131

I don't know if Lucas or Roy's weights have been determined yet (Ryu's is said to be 103), but it seems surprising that the percents for those two are almost identical. I was able to consistently prevent Roy from dying at 129% from the middle of FD, so I'm very confident in that number. Same with Lucas at 156% from the farthest edge of FD (if his weight is the same as Ness', 94, it should make sense for their percents to be so close at least). I don't notice any changes in the launch angle so far. Characters seem to die at roughly the same percents as before with the same DI as in the OP (I say "roughly" because there is likely that 1 or 2% error for some numbers based on my own tests).

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
Bthrow is unchanged in 1.1 on: Jigglypuff, Yoshi, standard Shulk, and Boswer. So I think it's safe to call it untouched in general.
HOWEVER- Shield Shulk now takes 138% to die close and 225% to die far.
Weird.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
Bthrow is unchanged in 1.1 on: Jigglypuff, Yoshi, and Boswer. So I think it's safe to call it untouched in general.
HOWEVER- Shield Shulk now takes 138% to die close and 225% to die far.
Weird.
Looks like Shield shulk got a change.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Noa. Noa. In case you're still around (or even if not, so others can see this too), here's the percentages for the newest DLC characters to finish off the list:

Character | Closest | Middle | Farthest | Mean
Cloud | 97 | 135 | 161 | 131
Corrin | 95 | 133 | 160 | 129.333
Bayonetta | 88 | 124 | 148 | 120

Several characters also had their weights changed in the 1.1.4 patch: Sheik, ZSS, Rosalina, and Sonic decreased by 1, Ganondorf increased by 1, and Kirby increased by 2. However, the kill percents for B-throw barely change from this (if at all), still falling within the 1% error the OP mentioned, so for practical purposes the values in the original table can still be considered "roughly" correct at worst.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Funen1 Funen1 You're a god. I might quickly go through the 1% changed people for the sake of accuracy, which will then allow us to determine a new mean kill percent for everyone.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
This move is stupid lol. Nice work though.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Lol it's no problem Luco Luco . This place has admittedly been pretty dead for a while, but I felt the info should be complete for anyone else who does come here.

tsilver33

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how significant the changes to Sheik/Mewtwo's weight are for B-Throw?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Does anyone know how significant the changes to Sheik/Mewtwo's weight are for B-Throw?
Pretty significant. We didn't include the previous 1 point change because it only changed the percents by like 1% or so, but now Bthrow is probably killing Sheik around 5% earlier than it used to, which is a decent change.

Mewtwo on the other hand also probably deserves a re-testing, but I expect his percents to move up by like 2%.

I'm legit gonna do this testing tonight because I won't have too much else to do. ^_^

Top Bottom