• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Matchup Guide (DEAD)

Smash Cadet
So knowing matchups is definitely my biggest weakness, especially since I don't play too often compared to most everyone on here. I used to main Ike and something that really got me going was this matchup guide in the Ike discussion (https://smashboards.com/threads/the-ultimate-ike-matchup-guide-joker-added.475260/ ) and it really helped me to start strong with Ike (I'm the type of person that will study that kind of stuff). With that, I've noticed that something like that for Ness is very absent from the internet, so I kind of want to start and pitch in to make one.

Right now, I don't have too much, but I've put together a giant VOD playlist of Ness, sorry that it's stupid long and if there's too much Awestin (if too much Awestin is even possible!).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhurCQy5K_PKCHUiemtz4-xZv1qCZHwc9 (I ordered them like how the game orders the characters, because I'm stupid and I memorized that too; the playlist starts with Mario matches, then DK, etc.)

MATCHUP GUIDE

:ultmario:Mario

:ultdk:Donkey Kong

:ultlink:

:ultsamus: :ultdarksamus:

:ultyoshi:

:ultkirby:

:ultfox:

:ultpikachu:

:ultluigi:

:ultness:

:ultfalcon:

:ultjigglypuff:

:ultpeach: :ultdaisy:

:ultbowser:

:ulticeclimbers:

:ultsheik:

:ultzelda:

:ultdoc:

:ultpichu:

:ultfalco:

:ultmarth: :ultlucina:

:ultyounglink:

:ultganondorf:

:ultmewtwo:

:ultroy:

:ultchrom:

:ultgnw:

:ultmetaknight:

:ultpit:

:ultdarkpit:

:ultzss:

:ultwario:

:ultsnake:

:ultike:

:ultpokemontrainer: :ultpokemontrainerf:

:ultdiddy:

:ultlucas:

:ultsonic:

:ultkingdedede:

:ultolimar:

:ultlucario:

:ultrob:

:ulttoonlink:

:ultwolf:

:ultvillager:

:ultmegaman:

:ultwiifittrainer:

:ultrosalina:

:ultlittlemac:

:ultgreninja:

:ultpalutena:

:ultbrawler:

:ultswordfighter:

:ultgunner:

:ultpacman:

:ultrobin:

:ultshulk:

:ultwendy:

:ultduckhunt:

:ultryu:

:ultken:

:ultcloud:

:ultcorrin:

:ultbayonetta:

:ultinkling:

:ultridley:

:ultsimon: :ultrichter:

:ultkrool:

:ultisabelle:

:ultincineroar:

:ultpiranha:

:ultjoker:

Last edited:

Smash Cadet
Originally there was a ToC for the playlist but because of how often I'll be changing it I decided to remove it, it's ordered how the game orders them, but you might find certain characters out of place simply because a person used multiple characters in a set but only one mattered enough (eg there's a VOD shown to be Ness vs PT in the Villager section but the PT switches to Villager even though the video title doesn't mention it).

Last edited:

Smash Cadet
sweet ! Knowing the matchup definitely helps !
Yes, I feel like making something like this will make it easier for aspiring Ness players to get on their feet as quick as possible. I myself am still relatively new to the competitive scene and with that, there are still certain characters I just haven't fought at all yet with Ness, and so for me it would take losing multiple Bo3's against one character just to learn things I could read about in a comprehensive Ness matchup guide (which only exists as bits and pieces in the Ness discord). Sure it wouldn't guarantee wins, but at least I won't be running in the dark so much.

As I get time I will definitely start watching these VODs more closely to see what and what not to do with Ness and I'll start updating the main post to show it.

Last edited:

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for this. I'm always looking for more palu and ivysaur matchup knowledge, I lose to those guys at my local on the reg.

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the delay, I'll have more time in the coming weeks, but for now, I'll just finish formatting...

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Imo the only matchups we lose at optimal play are lucina, shulk and cloud or marth, he seems to be pretty anti meta and do very well against most top tiers (oli, wolf, snake, inkling, palu, rob, wario, and maybe peach all being even, and winning against pikachu and pichu. While the evens with wario, wolf, and inkling and oli all potentially being winning matchups.) however there are a few matchups within the lower characters that he struggles with (think mega man, marth, potentially belmonts, and cloud.) however I personally think ness not only has a super dominant matchup spread outside of a few specific swordies. But I also think he has potential to be top of high tier or bottom of top tier. This character is super flames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom