• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness' DJC

Foxtorres

Smash Cadet
This is literally too fast to do without hurting yourself. one of my mains is Ness in Melee, his doublejump cancel was NOWHERE near as difficult to do, practiced I can do it 80% of the time, and then my thumb literally locks up because its just THAT hard to do consistently. I would love to see this move easier to do as to not give any more smashers carpel tunnel. Please tell me if a Dev reads this. I love ness and I dont want to be gimped because of the finger breaking timing that is needed to do this.
THANK YOU for reading <3

dragondude66

Smash Rookie
Not really a Ness player myself, but I also noticed the timing was really fast compared to melee. Anyone else notice this?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
If you hold Jump you will rise like brawl. If you don't hold Jump you will do a melee DJC. With a 6 frame window for a melee DJC it shouldn't be too straining to do it consistently. Also, this is not a bug report. I will move this to the Ness boards.

Last edited:

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Dude...you just posted this to a ness thread yesterday...this same exact post...

It's not hard, some of the time I accidentally do it too fast to even get out an aerial. Learn how to do it

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
It's not too difficult, imo. Once you get it down you'll complain about not even getting out an aerial, like Kokomaniac said. There are multiple ways to do DJC aerials. Remember that you have to let go of the jump button before you do your aerial to DJC. Let's say you're trying to do a DJC up air. Here are a couple ways to do it on standard GCN controller layout:

X > left analog stick stick up > c-stick up (you can also substitute X at the beginning for Y)

X > X > c-stick up (this is how I usually do it - think: tap, tap, flick. This all happens with thumb)

X > X > left analog stick up +a (I also do this somtimes- think: tap, tap, flick+press.)

DJC is super important for Ness so I hope you can get it down.

Bryonato

Green Hat
"literally too fast to do without hurting yourself"

as one of the more technical ness mains out there, all I gotta say is:
K.

(also try using tap jump)

Boiko

:drshrug:
In between stocks I headbang with DJC uairs that don't actually come out.

Try using tap jump if you're not already. I think it helps tremendously...although I only use it for uair.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
The sequence for me is x>tap jump>cstick>down on movement stick>L cancel

This leads to a double jump cancelled aerial that is fastfalled and l canceled pretty much instantly, but I only use this for dairing tbh, I just use x>x>a>down>L down for everything else

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
IIRC in melee and in n64 you actually can't do rising aerials with ness.
in brawl its possible because well DJC was removed.

in melee/n64 so you could just hold X or Y to do a DJC.
in project M you have more options, a rising aerial or a DJC aerial.

and because of this, the amount of time you can let your finger rest on X or Y is a lot more strict.
or you can do tap jump. which is easier.
because as I recall, tap jump registers as 1 frame of input even if you hold up.

IIRC the very technical way of describing it is if you release jump before inputting your attack you vertical momentum is canceled when you attack.
But if you are holding jump while you input your attack, you will still jump the full height.
But in melee you could just hold X or Y.

This is probably what's giving you trouble?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ that is the only option. Ness is completely the same as melee otherwise, both in jump squat and how his momentum carries when you DJC.

It's not all that hard at all once you get used to the timing, and you only need to go exceptionally fast for literally like 5% of situations, honestly.

Focus on consistency and positioning more than simply trying to DJC as close to the ground as possible. Also be sure to practice your L cancels on whiff, hit, and shield. Proper spacing, timing, and consistency will get you further than anything else when it comes to Ness' DJCs.

Top Bottom