• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Community Guide (Recommended Strategies)

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
ALL SIDE COMMENTS AND LISTS OF INFORMATION ON A MOVE ARE LABELED WITH +++, ++*, +**, or ***, BASED ON THEIR RELIABILITY. AN UNRELIABLE FOLLOWUP OR TACTIC RECEIVES A ***, WHILE A HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ONE RECEIVES +++.

FH = Full Hop (hold down jump for a short while)
SH = Short Hop (press jump for an instant)
AD = Airdodge (R in air)
FF = Fast Fall (fall at faster speed by pressing down while in air)

F = forward
N = neutral (no particular input using control stick, so just pressing A by itself)
B = backward
D = down
U = up
F-/N-/D-/B-/U- air: Direction of A-aerial (written as Uair, or Fair [drop the hypen and combine them])
F-/D-/U-smash: Smash attack in those directions (only forward, because backward = forward for smashes/tilts; smash attack by quickly moving the control stick in that direction or using C-Stick when it is set to smashes)
F-/D-/U- tilt: Tilt attacks in those directions.
up-/down-/forward-/neutral-B: Special Attack with those directional inputs.
DI = Directional Influence (moving control stick to affect where your character moves after being hit)
SDI = Smash DI (move control stick/C-stick quickly in a direction WHILE BEING HIT to move in that direction; it basically instantaneously moves you to a spot determined by your SDI and affects direction of knockback more than regular DI)

///Common Terminology

Uncommon:
PSImag = PSI Magnet (ness' downB)
FH PKfire = ... yeah.
As I posted in the NGD, I wanted to make something like this for a while. Trips said go for it, so that is enough incentive to start the thread.

Basically, I'm assuming on this thread that you know every technique discovered or listed by EB360 and Ref in their Ness guides and expanding on moves and different situations Ness is faced with. This will, hopefully, help to clarify where ness excells and how to maximize outcomes in certain situations.

Because I am currently busy, I'll recommend that everyone refresh themselves with both EB360's many techniques listed on his thread and Ref's general coverage of Ness.

I'll post stuff whenever I can, and update when I get the chance. But currently, let's start with some methods of playing in certain situations.

SUPER UPDATE: NOW INCLUDING INDIVIDUAL MOVE SEGMENTS!

I found it necessary. There are many more move-specific tactical ideas that I have than I do general ideas. For example, dtilt, PKjump (proper heights and usage times), PKT (when to use it to recover and when not to use it to recover... also how to mindgame recovering with it in a safe way), FH PKfire ideas (you have uair, nair, fair on landing, and on hit of PKfire, AD > dash > (other) works very well), etc.

I'll also avoid the usage of quoting things using the [ quote _] thing, because boxes are obnoxious. It also makes it much easier to just organize useful information and credit findings/ideas/thoughts.

Also, there will be this other section that I call, Jump Specialties, which will go over the tricks and proper using of FH, SH, DJ, and Jump-Canceling type of moves/effects. I've been claiming that FH aerials are so great, but haven't truly backed up all my reasoning. I'll lay all of the reasons out in the next couple of days, seeing as I have absolutely nothing going on in the first few weeks of school (except chess team and other activities).

Jump Specialties

FH:

FH Aerials vs. SH Aerials --

Dair:
Fair:
Bair:
Nair:
Uair:
FH PK Fire -- (see PK Fire subsection)

FH AD --

MOVELIST

SPECIAL:

PK Fire:

FH PKfire tricks --

PK Jump --

Ledge Pressure --

PKT:

How to Recover... properly --

Getting the PKT hit --

PKT Shield "Scraping" -- When you direct your PKT into your opponent's shield, you make it go along the edge of it rather than directly into it. This allows the tail to continue to hit their shield for an amount of time and, possibly, do a shield poke after a bit of weakening.

PKT2 Tricks --

(What I call the) Peel-Between PKT2: Could mean two different things, but basically encompasses the same idea of bringing a PKT between yourself and your opponent. What this does is, if your opponent is close enough, your PKT2 will at least hit their shield. If you do everything in the best way possible, you can PKT scrape against their shield (see above) and cause your PKT2 to hit your opponent. If you want, you can not bother hitting your opponent and just fly across the stage to safety (few characters can punish it... the ones that can are pit, rob, and maybe some other characters, but it depends on projectile speed). It's safe, but requires good PKT control... which WiFi doesn't allow me to have 90% of the time (I did it once or twice, but not much more). Also, this often depends on WHEN your opponent gets near you. You can't just go out and say HAHAHAH STAND RIGHT THERE WHILE I DO THIS! because it won't work. You have to bait your opponent in with a crazy loop of your PKT that also threatens just hitting them. It's more "mindgame" than actual technique, but if you can manipulate your opponent well with PKT, this should be an okay thing to do every now and then.

Cut-Short DJ: When you are offstage and in danger of an edgeguard by your opponent, it is possible to, with correct timing, planning, and spacing, to fake using your DJ when going up by just using PKT-->PKT2 shortly after. This won't catch a lot of people, but for those that risk a lot, it's a near instant kill. Going directly for the ledge isn't recommended, because you can get edgehogged (go for just landing on stage, and if you aren't in range to do that, then this strategy wasn't fit for consideration in the first place; KNOW IF YOU CAN RECOVER SAFELY FIRST! Never risk too much). This is one of the things I do very often, as I know both how to time PKT2 well and the proper spacing of baiting my opponent so that they can't get at me. This is good to do now and then, but not a lot. The safest option is often to just DJ with an airdodge (proper timing) to land on the stage. Fair can often get over-taken by some things that you wouldn't normally expect.

On-Ledge PKT2 -- when standing on the ledge, as many people know, you can PKT2 in an upward direction as well as straight forward. It's not as useful as other techniques... there's too much guessing and it's safer just to try and go for a PKT hit than to risk flinging yourself in for a hit you might not make.
PKT Ledgedrop --

Off-Top Kill --

PK Flash:

PSImag:

Movement Techniques --

Tricks to Absorption --

When to Wind --

Magnet Lag Cancel -- get into the habit of using Jump out of absorption. If you can't just roll back. Jumping allows much more to happen (chain PSImag?!?!)

Crazy Ledge Thing -- Jump from hanging on ledge, properly time a PSImag after the jump, B-Reverse it, then release to regrab the ledge. Can absorb some stuff with this, maybe ledgeguard, maybe even waste an opponent's invincibility at a start of a match... it worked for me once... xD

NON-SPECIAL ATTACKS:
(organized by jab/tilts/dashattack, smashes, aerials)

Jab:

Ftilt:

Dtilt:

2x-Usage -- two quick dtilts to a followup move. Often, it is swift enough to allow other moves, such as grab, to get in without a problem. Other times, the second hit is just too much to make it worth the time. The two hits increases tripping chance (slightly...), and potentially raises damage given.

1x-Usage -- if you are quick with movement, just throwing one out will be quick enough to beat out most people's reaction times, so you have an okay time with a followup. Dtilt does very little damage, and the spacing is fairly short, but this works sometimes. Grabs are fairly easy to follow this up with, but a well-trained opponent knows what to do.

Dtilt Flurry -- when your opponent least expects it, this will rack 12-18 damage until your opponent can properly throw in a move to get you out. After a little damage, you can try and shield to see how they respond and from there either grab, use an aerial, spotdodge, or usmash (tilts may be less suggested, but you can do it...). Dtilt makes your opponent think quick, because each instant you rack more and more damage. If you're lucky, your opponent will mess up and you get the free percent. If you aren't lucky, you get a fairly even trade-off of percent (you might need to DI well in this situation though)

Utilt:

Utilt > Grab -- on some characters, this will work from 0% due to a larger hurtbox... I believe. I'm not 100% sure, but lots of people that I've played were unable to avoid the grab... maybe they could attack, but decided not to... I never found that out. *** SOMEONE TEST THIS!!!***

Dash Attack:

Advice (General) -- this move has great range, and also great starting speed. The range is the reason I like this move; if you know where the last two hits come out with respect to ness, you can catch your opponent off guard, just on the end of lag, or just on the edge of their shield, and get some damage and followup opportunity. The fact that it's a quick move helps to punish some opponents who have slightly laggier moves.
Dash attack can go well... It has it's negatives, but it's speed and range make it worth looking at.

Fsmash:

Usmash:

Dsmash:

Fair:

Bair:

Landing with Bair -- If you are great at spacing it, using bair on landing is insanely powerful. The key to this is knowing bair VERY well.
Going down, you want to be doing 2 things: FF'ing, and moving away from your opponent (you can judge where to place the bair... this can be used to pressure shield VERY well). In perfect execution, your Bair comes out and hits your opponent at their feet just before you land. When you land, you will slide away slightly and undergo landing lag. The thing about bair is that it's shield-stun (? maybe improper term?) is great, it pushes your opponent back quite a bit on their shielding, and it does great damage and has a great hitbox to poke at shields. You can almost continually weaken your opponent's shield until you poke with a bair on the top of their shield. Bair landing lag isn't insanely long, so you get up and can react with a fair amount of time.
Landing with bair is great if you can space and time perfectly. A sourspotted bair WILL NOT PRODUCE GOOD RESULTS! You must hit with the electric kick.

DJ > Bair -- If done right, it will hit any character no matter how tall they are... except some if they crouch. The DJ must be executed very near landing or else you will miss some characters. On hitting the opponent, however, you won't be able to follow up as well unless at very lucky percents where bairs combo into each other somehow. Again, YOU NEED TO SPACE AND TIME THIS RIGHT! Sourspot bair will work, but it's just not worth wasting a DJ for.

Fall-through platform > Bair -- Since bair is great with spacing, this works well overall. It times nicely on most platforms, and you can adjust how and in what position you drop from to produce the best results.

Because Bair does massive damage and knockback, you need to know how to hit with it more. It will give ness a great advantage in any situation when used correctly.

Uair:

Landing Uair --

PK Jump Followup --

FH Dair Followup --

FH PKfire Followup --

Dair:

Nair:

Getting a Low Knock-Back Angle -- I don't know if this was just me... but when hitting the opponent with my back facing to them, it OFTEN sent them at a downward direction. Either that or if I hit with Ness' hand as he spun around. Can someone see if there is any easier way to get a low knockback angle with Nair? That' help for gimps.

FH Nair > ANY AERIAL!!! -- Great... even Dair does well... DO THIS!!! It keeps you safe and you have mobility after using Nair to do lots of other things.

GRABS/THROWS:

How to Get the Grab:

Pivot Grab:

Dash Grab:

Standing/Shielding Grab:

Dthrow:

Fthrow:

Uthrow:

Bthrow(AKA, Kill Throw):

***********************NEW CATEGORY!!!!***************************

Thanks, Yink, for bringing this into conversation. MUCH APPRECIATED!

SPACING

Hmm, I don't see many tips on SPACING. If it's alright I'd like to talk about it, and will edit this post later. I do want to make sure everyone's alright with that being added to the guide first.
^Original Proposal. xD

This video is extremely good in showing the best estimation of all ness' hitboxes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eTHzbe-HBY

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS AT LEAST ONCE!! It'll show some weirdness in ness' hitboxes, but otherwise, you just have to have a feel for where you'll hit.

I'll list each item and provide blank bullet points to be filled in continually. I'll put in my ideas for each item right now, but I want to see everyone helping in this category. Some people have different ideas for describing the spacing than others.

PKT

-- Hitting yourself, The edge of the PKT head must connect to the electrical "aura" around ness.
-- Hitting opponents, just hit them
-- Tail, just have their hurtbox hit the tail.
-- ????
--
PKT2

-- Beginning hitbox hits in a large range around ness, and gradually gets smaller (near the ending, ness' body must contact the opponent's)
-- ???
--
--
PKfire

-- ??? (I can tell where, but I can DESCRIBE where)
--
--
--
--
PKflash

-- Uncharged, basically the image of the PKflash
-- Fully charged, between 1.4x and 2x the radius of the uncharged.
--
--
--
PSImag

-- Absorbs a small distance outside of the blue area.
-- Wind is about 1.5x the radius of the appearance of the blue area.
--
--

Jab

--??
--
--
--
Ftilt

-- about bat distance for center. (possibly less; haven't played in a while)
-- near body, but about jab distance horizontally and slightly above top of hat for upwards slanted.
-- down low.... similar to dtilt, but less horizontal range (at least I think...)
--
Dtilt

-- Jab distance forward, but low... (?)
-- behind ness, just barely behind (doesn't hit if the opponent isn't super close)
-- ???
--
Utilt

-- Short horizontal distance
-- About another head of ness' above his head (approximation)
--
--
Dash Attack

-- First hit is very near and quick (I say about ftilt distance from ness)
-- Second hit is somewhat far (I say either usmash distance or dsmash distance away from ness...)
-- Third hit is VERY far away (none of ness' attacks hit that far, IMO)
--???

Fsmash

--
--
--
--
Usmash

--
--
--
--
Dsmash

--
--
--
--
--

Standing Grab

--
--
--
--
--
Pivot Grab

--
--
--
--
Dash Grab

--
--
--
--
--

Uair

-- Lots of distance behind ness (not nearly bair or fair distance, but it hits far away for it's opening speed)
--
--
--
Nair

-- Some distance away from ness' body at beginning (stays closeby)
-- Ness' body for sourspot.
--
--
Fair

-- Huge distance in front when retreating
-- Meh distance standstill
-- not so good distance when moving forward
-- ???
Bair

-- far behind ness' body (it is like laying his body out in midair.
--
--
--
Dair

-- big area below ness' body and including the below ness' head for spike hitbox, but sourspot is ness' body (exluding head, of course)
--
--
--

***********Based on a new Idea, I've created a new category: Essentials.
^Self explanatory, but I felt it was needed.
ESSENTIALS:

+++ PKT (Methods of use on and offstage)
General Usage:
basic PKT use and edge guard techniques:

PK thunder is a really good projectile that can easily be spammed if used correctly. Basic things to keep in mind when using pk thunder:

Unless your opponent is really far away, and they have no projectiles, don't chase them too much with the pk thunder. always try to stay low close to the ground so you can cancel it at anytime. If you chase them in the air and they dodge it, you will usually be in a bad position as you will be vulnerable for a few seconds, because you can't cancel your pk thunder in the air. only if it worked like snake's nakita :\.

ALWAYS approach with the tail. Don't go straight in unless you know that they will not expect it (through the use of mind games, etc.). the tail has infinite priority the only thing that can beat it is reflectors and absorbers. the easiest method is to read their air dodge and do a tight circle around them so that they get hit by the tail, and you can hit them with the head right after during the stun. Another good method is to go straight down or up(i don't recommend too much) to create a small wall with the pkt tail. the only way they will be able to get through it will be with an air dodge, so turn the pkt torwards or away depending where they are going so that the will get hit by the head. pkt is an awesome damage racker.

As for edge guarding, Try to aim the pk thunder so that it hits them AWAY from you (torwards the blast zone). Ness's pkt property pops the opponent up, and towards the direction they are hit FROM the pkt, so if you hit them on the other side, they will stay out in the open longer. Some characters you will be able to repeatidly do this. Also, again aim with the tail. on characters such as ike, this will almost be an instant death as the stun will put them too low to recover. If you feel it is plausible, you can always go for the pkt spike. just remember you have to hit them from the side facing the stage, which can be hard on stages like pokemon stadium, etc.

For beginners, an easy way to control the pk thunder is to just half circle the pk thunder around the edge and cancel it under neath. This way it'll create a wall of the tail making it harder for people to recover if hit with. Since you also cancel it, you don't have to worry about you being open.

This is all I have to say on the material. PK thunder isn't my specialty :3
Great synapsis...

Summary, derived from Kenny's post and other stuff:
+++ Tail is infinite priority and can often lead into hitting with the head or PKT2.

Tail specifics:
+++ Tail sets off snake's nades, and, if done right, allows you to direct the head at him.
+++ Tail can nullify or destroy an opponent's second jump
+++ Based on last, you can restrict an opponent's movement after popping them up with dair/uair/whatever and loop around them to make a near inescapable PKT2
++* Tail stops pikmin from traveling (Yellow are exception)
*** Can give extra percentage back to an opposing ness/lucas
+** Can charge up a bucket to full if looped correctly (can be +++ if teams)
+++ PKT kill off top can happen fairly easily. (I've done it so many times against friends and snake mains, who wish to go as high as possible to avoid dair and other shenanigans offstage)
-- Tips to that: Against a snake, I say the best way is to look for when they DJ or whatever or when they get fairly close to the stage. Initiate PKT slowly afterwards (You want to have it just below the snake's height just in case he airdodges so that you can loop back around). If he continues up, you are getting the advantage; the higher he goes, the more likely of a kill and the safer you are upon the canceling of your PKT (by time lapse or by snake connecting with the head).
+++ Juggle wins! (I often get a hit from dthrow, because people don't expect it when I vary my moves well)
+++ PKT2 is one of the most reliable, quick-kill moves in the game, being able to kill nearly every character at or before 80%.
+** The ending lag is VERY slow. This is only relieved by jumping up to land on the ground or grabbing the ledge immediately after canceling the PKT, but both involve some risk.
*** Terrible at close range.
???

++* FH PKfire
Approaching:

For those how can't perform the PK Jump very well (me), FH PK Fire is still an option; it's much easier to do albeit not as safe and you can't follow up as easily. Even so, when well spaced, certain characters can have a hard time punishing it. I'm pretty sure Nair, Air dodge, U-air, Fair, and Bair (and DJ) can cancel out it's landing lag.

I hope this helped in some way, shape, or form.
adding onto the FH PKF:
Full hop pk fire can be spammed offensively and defensively imo, because you have many options out of it. If they get hit, you can easily follow up with another dj pkf, or any other aerial (doing a dj pkf w/ landing lag and then following up with grab, bat, etc. may be better if its a character that has a hard time getting out). If they don't get hit, most opponents will assume you will lag, or that you will be punishable. You can do any of the aerials before landing to protect yourself, but you can also DJ aerial, don't forget that. If you don't want to do anything, it would be safe to just air dodge into the ground to cancel lag.
example, my usual approach/playstyle is to watch the opponent by fh pkfing while retreating, if I have a chance, after the fh pkf I will rising fair and hit them following up with a sour dair if plausible.

to conclude, FH pk fire should be something all ness players keep in mind and use because it is practically safe, you can easily shuffle and mind game with it. its my favorite damage racker.

Some people seem to get punished if the opponents catch on and they just dash shield and do a quick aerial to punish the lag from the pk fire, but if you space you are doing it while retreating, you should have enough time to either hit them back, or rising air dodge away.

my 2cent for today :p I may add some more stuff later.
Eagleye (my statement moved around) said:
^IMO, more under defensive. You put pressure on your opponent, but it is still aiming at being safe. Can be used aggressively or as an approach, but mainly if you hit with the bolt. Otherwise, you can expect to have some OoS option from your opponent using their shield.

NOTE: BAIR DOESN'T COME OUT BEFORE YOU LAND!!! I TESTED SEVERAL TIMES.

Added FHpkFire advice:
Using FHpkFire in a recent way that I've found (FH with your shoulder button and use PKfire instantly after you press for jump) leads to being able to consistantly use uair on landing. Before this, the minor amount of time from moving your thumb from x/y to b would sometimes not allow for a uair to be used on landing/after the PKfire to cancel some ending lag.
*Drawbacks of FHpkFire:
* If you mess up, you get percent from your opponent's followup. Almost assured.
* Some characters can easily shield and hit you with something before you can bring out a nair/uair/fair or jump.
* something else...
Due to this portion being a fairly essential aspect of any ness' play, I moved all posts from other sections to this one that concerned FH PKfire.

My summary of it:
++*Good/Great when it hits
++*Able to get good followup options from it

+++uair (if frame perfect)
++*nair (always)
++*fair (first few hits)
+++airdodge
+++DJ all aerials
++*DJ pkfire (catch ppl off guard + followup a previous pillar trap)
+**PKjump (only if you miss... not recommended​
***Good opponents and higher tier characters destroy it OoS. (As stated before by others, snake's dash attack, MK's upb, marth's upb, etc.)
???

*************************Randomly thought****************
Not-So-Essentials

++++++++++++DTilt Madness...
Eagleye893 said:
I'm just going to put my thoughts on dtilt here for the sake of sparking people to read this... but I'm not entirely sure how well that'll go.

As most of you MAY know, I've been ranting lately of how insane dtilt is. I've had paragraph-long explanations of each minor aspect, and I'm going to try and simplify it all into what I can explain here... I will create a chart in a while of what I mean, and I might start to upload videos explaining this stuff... but in the meantime, all I can do is explain.

Now we all know dtilt... it's a move that comes out quickly (3 frames?), can trip fairly consistently (unsure of this), can lock people at high percents or against a wall in certain conditions, can rack damage well if done right, etc. The only problem with the move is that it does 3-4% in damage.... pretty bad.... in fact, absolutely terrible in the long run. But that's only if you use dtilt by itself and only once. People can get dtilt flurries off for several hits and lots of percent, but the move can be shielded by most opponents who know what they're doing. Knowing the several restricting aspects of dtilt, I set out one day to find what is the best way to use it... I believe I found an extremely good way of dishing out damage and stringing moves together using this move, and here's how:

DTilt x2.

It doesn't seem like much when I just spit it out, but there are several reasons as to why dtilt-ing twice rather than once or more times is more significant than others.

+Most characters' tripping animations will allow for a second dtilt to pass under them if they are tripped by the first. This allows you to react and take advantage of the trip more easily and effectively. (no fsmash... that's suicide)
+7 damage... + whatever you can follow up with.
+The quickness of dtilt will allow you to think of your next move before your opponent can react (a majority of the time), and you have several options to choose from in order to follow up the dtilt. (grab, jab combo [not recommended, unless you hit with dtilt first], ftilt [down or straight... up is risky, but CAN work on some characters], nair [preferably OoS], shield, spotdodge, reverse dsmash, usmash, ... the list really goes on... you can even FH PKfire and hit your opponent if you have this other technique that I've found perfected)
+Baiting move (people will assume that you are vulnerable, when you are actually fully capable of countering nearly everything; for those that don't, you can just use it to transition between things.)
+Really fun!
+DTILTx2 > Dash > Pivot Grab > Bthrow FTW! (dtilt makes the pivot grab that much easier to pull off and get the kill)

Now I know some of you are wondering... "HOW DO YOU GET IN THAT CLOSE?!?!? ESPECIALLY AGAINST SOME CHARACTERS?!?!?" Well my answer to that is... I just do? Some characters are nearly invulnerable to the dtilt (ike, snake, MK, ... few if any others....), so I can't get in on them. Otherwise, I land with stuff that will allow me to lead into it easier. Fair is only good for some minor cases. Uair is okay, but only works for setting up dtilt if you miss or hit their shield. If anyone spotdodges often to avoid attacks or something, dtilt is perfect to destroy that; dtiltx2 means that if you miss the first dtilt, you will see it, have enough time to react, and can get off at least a Nair to punish that. You can airdodge to the ground or around an opponent... you can just walk towards some opponents, making sure to shield other ppl. It depends on the situation and character, but many people fall victim to this... even marth in some cases (I say this only because they will try very hard to get close to you and grab, and if they do you have dtilt as an option to rack damage before they can do so to you... it's also a deterrent, as rushing in to grab someone who has an attack going seems like suicide to some people)

I'll certainly add more later, but this is my basic idea.

Approaching:

+++ (others say ++* or +**) PKjump:
Okay, to focus on aggressive play, which most players often lack, I had best start off with something and everyone can add. We are starting discussion first on approach/agressive style options. BE SURE TO NOTE ANY POTENTIAL RISK WITH APPROACHING WITH SUCH MOVES!!!

Okay, PKjump, something I've recently been doing, has helped very much in getting close up to an enemy with lower risk.

If you use it at the max height of a short hop, you can easily use any aerial except dair before you land (must be very near the Mac height of SH). This allows for a landing uair to protect from many powerful punishment options up close by giving you less landing lag. Fair is just for if you misspace your pkjump, and mainly to back off if you are too far from your opponent. If you are closer to your opponent, bair will hit instantly before going on the ground and place itself greatly for poking shields and just spacing in general. Nair is for speed, and is less useful than any other option due to it's lesser range. Airdodge doesn't matter for attacking, but it helps almost every time if you expect a followup OoS from your opponent. You get dtilt and ftilt and jab if you do it right, but airdodge downwards in front of your opponent isnt a great idea... Grabs = :( (all options listed require you to have properly executed pkjump, meaning you use the launch forward.) Fullhopping allows you to use aerials beforehand and also use pkjump at different timings and heights to maximize options on landing.
--problems with PKjump as approach:
• bad execution means that you are in trouble, and your opponent gets free hits.
• spacing is slightly weird with different heights
• getting the perfect shorthop height for bair to work every time is difficult
• you go in with a loss of your DJ (MK can abuse this, but if you space well you won't put yourself into a situation where you can be punished like mad... The aerials protect well, and the bolt either ensures that you get a hit with putting pillar up first or provides enough shield stun to halt an extreme range of punishment)

Another thing with PKjump to note is that if you do hit with the bolt and create a pillar, you are well off. Uair will hit fairly frequently and provide perfect placement on the ground for followup, fair hits almost every time, nair gets people just getting out of the pillar, etc. The pillar hit is win for PKjump. If executed perfectly at low percents, you get a near assured 30%.
--basically no risk for hitting with pillar... Maybe marth, but you can airdodge down.

Aggressive:

++*/+** [color="black"(aggressive is different...)[/color] PKjump:
[quote="Eagleye893, post: 11206876"]Okay, to focus on aggressive play, which most players often lack, I had best start off with something and everyone can add. We are starting discussion first on approach/agressive style options. BE SURE TO NOTE ANY POTENTIAL RISK WITH APPROACHING WITH SUCH MOVES!!!

Okay, PKjump, something I've recently been doing, has helped very much in getting close up to an enemy with lower risk.

If you use it at the max height of a short hop, you can easily use any aerial except dair before you land (must be very near the Mac height of SH). This allows for a landing uair to protect from many powerful punishment options up close by giving you less landing lag. Fair is just for if you misspace your pkjump, and mainly to back off if you are too far from your opponent. If you are closer to your opponent, bair will hit instantly before going on the ground and place itself greatly for poking shields and just spacing in general. Nair is for speed, and is less useful than any other option due to it's lesser range. Airdodge doesn't matter for attacking, but it helps almost every time if you expect a followup OoS from your opponent. You get dtilt and ftilt and jab if you do it right, but airdodge downwards in front of your opponent isnt a great idea... Grabs = :( (all options listed require you to have properly executed pkjump, meaning you use the launch forward.) Fullhopping allows you to use aerials beforehand and also use pkjump at different timings and heights to maximize options on landing.
• bad execution means that you are in trouble, and your opponent gets free hits.
• you go in with a loss of your DJ (MK can abuse this, but if you space well you won't put yourself into a situation where you can be punished like mad... The aerials protect well, and the bolt either ensures that you get a hit with putting pillar up first or provides enough shield stun to halt an extreme range of punishment)

Another thing with PKjump to note is that if you do hit with the bolt and create a pillar, you are well off. Uair will hit fairly frequently and provide perfect placement on the ground for followup, fair hits almost every time, nair gets people just getting out of the pillar, etc. The pillar hit is win for PKjump. If executed perfectly at low percents, you get a near assured 30%.
--basically no risk for hitting with pillar... Maybe marth, but you can airdodge down.[/QUOTE]

Defensive play:

--General:
Anyone gonna do a wall of text any time soon? i will but first i gotta test it (as well as be able to do it ><) aerials after pk jumping.... mmmmmm....

Ok so i havn't tested this at all, but it would be fricken shweet if you can do it (i havn't tested because i can't do pk jump :mad:) if you can do aerials after a pk jump.
THIS WOULD BE EPIC, especially with an uair for an unexpected kill, or maybe just a different way to follow up your pkjump approach. If someone could test this then that would be great.

Uses (if it works)
-switch up your game a bit so you aren't always doing the same thing
-like a das only the first aerial is a pkjump, so you can put a fair or something in and the knockback hit won't hit, but the first part will, leading to some combos maybe.
-good for setting up things
-unexpected kill with an uair
-???

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there, please someone test this, i can't pk jump to save my life >.<

I'm bored so i'll add some more:

Defensive play: (dunno too much about this but i'll list what i do)
-Turnaround Pkfire is nice to use sometimes, and since it can be used anywhere out of a dash it can throw opponents off guard. To perform, use pk fire one way then immediately slam the control stick the other direction. Good move imo but not always the best.
-SH or FH aerial OoS is another good thing to use when under pressure, for the defensive player if they are in front of you I'd say to do a retreating sh fair, you'll space out okay for you to maybe land and catch em with a pk fire in their face or something, or maybe start running then turnaround pk fire or whatever.
-PKT, i don't really know the difference of this and aggressive play pkt, maybe land cancel the head more if you see the opponent dodging it or something.
-Spaced fair/retreating fair, a great way to keep them back and deal some damage. If they're on you, pull one of these out of your magician's hat and leave the bunny for later.

I think the most important thing for defensive play is to never leave yourself open, so use safe moves and keep your distance.

Edit again: since i don't feel like double posting, i figured out another good defensive technique, retreat into an RAR then fair. it covers you decently, and is fun to do

Offstage Recovery/Defensive Strategies

++*/+**PSImag Wavebounce:

I don't feel like finding where I've said this before, but I'll put up one of my vids that could help in explaining this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPsXBhWVVis
Basically, you are approaching the stage and your opponent is coming after you. You don't have enough time to just move backwards and it might end up getting you into a worse situation... although it mostly won't. You have the option of using your PSImagnet to reverse your momentum and have a greater chance of avoiding some attack that your opponent is throwing at you. Instead of potentially placing yourself further below the ledge with using an aerial, you keep a height somewhat near where you were before. The wind from the release of the PSImag can often push back an opponent just enough to keep you safe, but you are in trouble of other stuff if your opponent is very close.
==Drawbacks:
+** You go further away from the ledge. Because of this, only use the technique when you are fairly close or if you have your DJ still able to be used. You need to also ensure that you can make it back to the stage.
*** Not an attack... Sometimes makes it easier for an opponent to just charge forward and get you with something.
*** Only for rare occasions. Do this often and you will get yourself gimped.

Edgeguarding

++* PKT Edgeguards:
PK thunder is a really good projectile that can easily be spammed if used correctly. Basic things to keep in mind when using pk thunder:

Unless your opponent is really far away, and they have no projectiles, don't chase them too much with the pk thunder. always try to stay low close to the ground so you can cancel it at anytime. If you chase them in the air and they dodge it, you will usually be in a bad position as you will be vulnerable for a few seconds, because you can't cancel your pk thunder in the air. only if it worked like snake's nakita :\.

ALWAYS approach with the tail. Don't go straight in unless you know that they will not expect it (through the use of mind games, etc.). the tail has infinite priority the only thing that can beat it is reflectors and absorbers. the easiest method is to read their air dodge and do a tight circle around them so that they get hit by the tail, and you can hit them with the head right after during the stun. Another good method is to go straight down or up(i don't recommend too much) to create a small wall with the pkt tail. the only way they will be able to get through it will be with an air dodge, so turn the pkt torwards or away depending where they are going so that the will get hit by the head. pkt is an awesome damage racker.
As for edge guarding, Try to aim the pk thunder so that it hits them AWAY from you (torwards the blast zone). Ness's pkt property pops the opponent up, and towards the direction they are hit FROM the pkt, so if you hit them on the other side, they will stay out in the open longer. Some characters you will be able to repeatidly do this. Also, again aim with the tail. on characters such as ike, this will almost be an instant death as the stun will put them too low to recover. If you feel it is plausible, you can always go for the pkt spike. just remember you have to hit them from the side facing the stage, which can be hard on stages like pokemon stadium, etc.

For beginners, an easy way to control the pk thunder is to just half circle the pk thunder around the edge and cancel it under neath. This way it'll create a wall of the tail making it harder for people to recover if hit with. Since you also cancel it, you don't have to worry about you being open.

This WILL include specific usages of moves which i recommend highly, but this list must wait a while.

LIST OF CONRIBUTIONS

--Overall PKT strategy:

--FHpkFire:
Approaching:

For those how can't perform the PK Jump very well (me), FH PK Fire is still an option; it's much easier to do albeit not as safe and you can't follow up as easily. Even so, when well spaced, certain characters can have a hard time punishing it. I'm pretty sure Nair, Air dodge, U-air, Fair, and Bair (and DJ) can cancel out it's landing lag.

adding onto the FH PKF:
Full hop pk fire can be spammed offensively and defensively imo, because you have many options out of it. If they get hit, you can easily follow up with another dj pkf, or any other aerial (doing a dj pkf w/ landing lag and then following up with grab, bat, etc. may be better if its a character that has a hard time getting out). If they don't get hit, most opponents will assume you will lag, or that you will be punishable. You can do any of the aerials before landing to protect yourself, but you can also DJ aerial, don't forget that. If you don't want to do anything, it would be safe to just air dodge into the ground to cancel lag.
example, my usual approach/playstyle is to watch the opponent by fh pkfing while retreating, if I have a chance, after the fh pkf I will rising fair and hit them following up with a sour dair if plausible.

to conclude, FH pk fire should be something all ness players keep in mind and use because it is practically safe, you can easily shuffle and mind game with it. its my favorite damage racker.

Some people seem to get punished if the opponents catch on and they just dash shield and do a quick aerial to punish the lag from the pk fire, but if you space you are doing it while retreating, you should have enough time to either hit them back, or rising air dodge away.

--PKjump:
Okay, to focus on aggressive play, which most players often lack, I had best start off with something and everyone can add. We are starting discussion first on approach/agressive style options. BE SURE TO NOTE ANY POTENTIAL RISK WITH APPROACHING WITH SUCH MOVES!!!

--basically no risk for hitting with pillar... Maybe marth, but you can airdodge down.
--PSImag Wavebounce:
"Eagleye893 said:
I don't feel like finding where I've said this before, but I'll put up one of my vids that could help in explaining this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPsXBhWVVis
Basically, you are approaching the stage and your opponent is coming after you. You don't have enough time to just move backwards and it might end up getting you into a worse situation... although it mostly won't. You have the option of using your PSImagnet to reverse your momentum and have a greater chance of avoiding some attack that your opponent is throwing at you. Instead of potentially placing yourself further below the ledge with using an aerial, you keep a height somewhat near where you were before. The wind from the release of the PSImag can often push back an opponent just enough to keep you safe, but you are in trouble of other stuff if your opponent is very close.
*Drawbacks:
* You go further away from the ledge. Because of this, only use the technique when you are fairly close or if you have your DJ still able to be used. You need to also ensure that you can make it back to the stage.
* Not an attack... Sometimes makes it easier for an opponent to just charge forward and get you with something.
* Only for rare occasions. Do this often and you will get yourself gimped.
--Buffered SH-Uairs.

I told ViceGrip to practice this, and I was thinking I might as well share this trick to everyone else here since I'm PRETTY CERTAIN everyone will appreciate the benefits of this trick once they learn to do it consistently.

Learn to buffer frame perfect SH U-airs. Especially, I suggest learning how to do these out of shield.

This is a universal option that is actually very useful for every character in the game (although Yoshi of course won't be doing these out of shield), but is very rarely used for some odd reason. Apparently most people don't seem to know how to do this efficiently without Up-smashing from what I understand, but it's quite simple. You just hold Up lightly, and then input Jump+attack. This will let you buffer frame perfect U-airs that are close to the ground. If you do it too lightly, you might N-air out of shield. Too much, you get the aforementioned Up-smash.

I would like to hear the experiences of other Ness users who implement this, but I will immediately suggest that U-air out of shield is a very good anti-air option when KOing is what you need to do. Probably the most popular way to avoid grabs is by well, being in the air, so for Ness players who need an extra out of shield option for killing I believe should find this invaluable. Having more ways to punish ambiguous bad spacing besides N-airing is probably very useful to consider.
** -- I can't think of a specific place for this, but I'll sort it later and probably create some newer categories for this type of stuff to fit in.

-- Yo-Yos:

Have we talked about yoyos yet? Mmm i love me some good yoyo.
First off the basics,

Usmash:
You can usmash OoS if they are in front of you to really screw them up, which can be a decent option. Usmash has so many different uses its almost funny, you can shield projectiles with it, punish rolls with it, hit people approaching you from the air with it, hyphen smash, reverse hyphen smash (oh the fun that comes with that one...), ledge guard (somewhat), punish ledgedroppers by spacing it to go off the ledge, use it near the ledge to pwn people trying to get up (charging is always nice), use it in combos as maybe a quick finish or something to pop them up with (usually an utilt is better for that though), can be used to punish a number of things, and lots of other fun stuff you can do with it :)
i'm not gonna elaborate on all of these things because they are pretty well known, but i wanna touch on some of them.
hyphen smashing: I absolutely love doing this, its a quick way to punish something hard without trying to pivot fsmash or crazy AT's like that, you dash over there after a laggy move, get them in the charge for a split second, then release and they're popped up ready to be das'd or whatever. Another good thing to do with it is to hit shields with it, it takes em down nicely and if they roll behind you then release and smack them in the face with the ancient dog walker of doom, and again they will usually get popped into the air a short ways, i like to punish this with a pkfire sometimes if they land. All in all hyphen smash is a pretty good way to use usmash, and remember to charge for a bit to get them in the perfect range for them to get it in their faces by the up swing part of it, although c-sticking this isn't a bad idea for a quick punish. Another way to put this into practice is reverse hyphen smashing, you can use this in a number of different ways, *cough mindgames cough* for punishing maybe a roll behind you or maybe someone landing behind you, or you can get some mindgaming in with it (it's so disorienting to see ness turn around and yoyo you from a dash :laugh: ) Oh yeah and don't forget to usmash OoS. (holy crap i just thought of something, can you reverse usmash OoS?? wait nevermind that would just basically be a drop shield turn around usmash... lame.)

punishing ledgedroppers:
space a hyphen smash to start charging right before you reach the ledge, your yoyo should fall down past the ledge and hit anything below it, this wont stop ledge sweet spotting but it will stop people from dropping>dj>whatever, eating up their dj causing them to upB to recover, i suggest possibly using this against Olimar, you can do a quick ledge hog and he's gimped and gone. Havn't tested that, but it should work. Unfortunately ledgedropping is far from olimar's best options, but still. This could also work on characters like zss or ivysaur, but it is a decent option for anyone if they start to get predictable with their ledge getups.

Now to more fun things,
Dsmash:
Ah the down smash, imo an underused trait that ness has access to. Some good options with this are quite obvious: punishing things behind you (rolls, people landing, etc.), dropping your shield and using this isn't a bad option for someone approaching from behind after using a projectile or whatever, or just using it as a quick attack behind you for whatever, Dsmash is a good move to use.
Not entirely sure how well this would work but in my head it seems really awesome, You pivot (i can't remember the term for this...) and then you dsmash right after it, so its like a hyphen smash except with a dsmash and therefore no upward arc over ness's head, just imagine ness running then turning around straight to a dsmash the direction he was originally running towards, hitting the opponent with the yoyo hit behind ness... not entirely sure how this could be used but its cool so who cares haha xD

YoYo Shielding:
Ness's yoyo can block many projectiles, anyways, you all know about this and i don't really feel like taking the time i just did with everything else, (plus it really isn't my specialty:ohwell:) im sure there's a list of all the things it can block somewhere, and if there isn't i think it would be a cool thing to have somewhere. This isn't all that great for energy things usually because of PSI mag, but if you need a quick block and punish for like a team battle or something you can either hyphensmash or standing usmash, or if its from behind you could just dsmash.

That's about all i got for yoyo's, i'm sure there's a lot i didn't mention.
nice summary. however there is a reason as to why many ness players don't use the yoyos too much, especially the dsmash. the main reason is lag. There is too much lag during and after the moves which makes you very vulnerable.

Another reason is, unlike the fsmash that does plenty damage and can kill, the yoyos arn't really "worth" it. If you miss, you will almost guarantee get punished. It doesn't do a whole lot of damage, and it doesn't even have that much knock back. Something like a fsmash would be worth the risk of missing.

Another, there are usually better choices. I believe there is no true, or even not true (because of the lag) combo starting with yoyos. Other moves are a lot easier to chain and rack up damage with. Even things like an uncharged pk flash can chain with other moves because there is minimal lag if done correctly.

IMO, yoyos are more for slight 'mindgame' attacks. When I use my usmash, I hyphen smash AWAY from the opponent (facing the other way too). A lot of people will go after you on reaction because they think they can punish you since you're facing the wrong direction, and the yoyo will fling back and hit them. If they don't go after you, good you don't get punished.

I believe yoyos aren't spammable. You should only use them in situations where you will be left unlikely to be punished, or if you know for sure they will get hit.
--Overall
Anyone gonna do a wall of text any time soon? i will but first i gotta test it (as well as be able to do it ><) aerials after pk jumping.... mmmmmm....

Ok so i havn't tested this at all, but it would be fricken shweet if you can do it (i havn't tested because i can't do pk jump :mad:) if you can do aerials after a pk jump.
THIS WOULD BE EPIC, especially with an uair for an unexpected kill, or maybe just a different way to follow up your pkjump approach. If someone could test this then that would be great.

Uses (if it works)
-like a das only the first aerial is a pkjump, so you can put a fair or something in and the knockback hit won't hit, but the first part will, leading to some combos maybe.
-???

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there, please someone test this, i can't pk jump to save my life >.<

-Turnaround Pkfire is nice to use sometimes, and since it can be used anywhere out of a dash it can throw opponents off guard. To perform, use pk fire one way then immediately slam the control stick the other direction. Good move imo but not always the best.
-SH or FH aerial OoS is another good thing to use when under pressure, for the defensive player if they are in front of you I'd say to do a retreating sh fair, you'll space out okay for you to maybe land and catch em with a pk fire in their face or something, or maybe start running then turnaround pk fire or whatever.
-PKT, i don't really know the difference of this and aggressive play pkt, maybe land cancel the head more if you see the opponent dodging it or something.
-Spaced fair/retreating fair, a great way to keep them back and deal some damage. If they're on you, pull one of these out of your magician's hat and leave the bunny for later.

I think the most important thing for defensive play is to never leave yourself open, so use safe moves and keep your distance.

Edit again: since i don't feel like double posting, i figured out another good defensive technique, retreat into an RAR then fair. it covers you decently, and is fun to do
My thoughts:
**LATER

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Awesome initiative, this'll definitely be of great value, especially to that influx of new Ness mains. =P

Where to start though?

Also, I was planning on a revival of the stage discussion, as we really don't have anything solid and up to date. I'll get to that soon if Ness players have no issue with it!

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Great idea Eagle! If you need a graphic for this, ask me and I can make it.

Also yeah a new stage discussion would probably be good MM.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146

PSI Nexus

Smash Cadet
Approaching:

_clinton

Smash Master
I usually just stay out of my opponents main physical range by a certain amount and throw PKT around when playing with a defense strategy, works great.

I sort of just do some fake outs when I need to get close as well.

As far as recovery goes, the fact that I can fire myself towards the stage's edge from any height or location (one time right above it and still ended up getting it) has been useful when I need to discourage people coming near me when recovering. Oh and mix ups are useful, Tap Jump off to use the 2nd jump when I want to, magnet stall, both are useful.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Bair doesn't work with FH pkfire... Also, you need to have pkfire come out immediately upon jumping, or else you can't uair.

Good idea for putting up. I felt it would be more defensive though.

I'll wait for several posts in order to update. Keep things coming.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
I should probably learn to pk jump so all this makes sense, but yeah I like to approach with fair and sometimes das it with either a nair or another fair. The nair is pretty good at lower percents because it doesn't have too much knock back and can set up into other things like a hyphen smash (sometimes...) or maybe a grab. but yeah double aerial shuffle is pretty sweet, it improved my ness game alot, it gets pretty predictable though, so not something to spam a bunch

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I was told people discuss Ness metagame strategies here, so now for quoting time:

I told ViceGrip to practice this, and I was thinking I might as well share this trick to everyone else here since I'm PRETTY CERTAIN everyone will appreciate the benefits of this trick once they learn to do it consistently.

Learn to buffer frame perfect SH U-airs. Especially, I suggest learning how to do these out of shield.

This is a universal option that is actually very useful for every character in the game (although Yoshi of course won't be doing these out of shield), but is very rarely used for some odd reason. Apparently most people don't seem to know how to do this efficiently without Up-smashing from what I understand, but it's quite simple. You just hold Up lightly, and then input Jump+attack. This will let you buffer frame perfect U-airs that are close to the ground. If you do it too lightly, you might N-air out of shield. Too much, you get the aforementioned Up-smash.

I would like to hear the experiences of other Ness users who implement this, but I will immediately suggest that U-air out of shield is a very good anti-air option when KOing is what you need to do. Probably the most popular way to avoid grabs is by well, being in the air, so for Ness players who need an extra out of shield option for killing I believe should find this invaluable. Having more ways to punish ambiguous bad spacing besides N-airing is probably very useful to consider.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
adding onto the FH PKF:

Bartolon

Smash Lord
It isn't that safe against every char, Snake can dash attack after it, MK can shuttleloop.
Against the higher tiers it's less useful, because they have more options to punish us on our lag after it ;P

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I've re-located FH PKfire stuff and added your guys' contributions

PLEASE BEGIN DISCUSSING HOW TO USE PKT AS AN EDGEGUARD TO IT'S GREATEST EFFECTIVENESS!

kennypu

Smash Journeyman

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146

Still a good summary.

I'll split this in two, placing the first part under essentials.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
First off the basics,

Usmash:
You can usmash OoS if they are in front of you to really screw them up, which can be a decent option. Usmash has so many different uses its almost funny, you can shield projectiles with it, punish rolls with it, hit people approaching you from the air with it, hyphen smash, reverse hyphen smash (oh the fun that comes with that one...), ledge guard (somewhat), punish ledgedroppers by spacing it to go off the ledge, use it near the ledge to pwn people trying to get up (charging is always nice), use it in combos as maybe a quick finish or something to pop them up with (usually an utilt is better for that though), can be used to punish a number of things, and lots of other fun stuff you can do with it :)
i'm not gonna elaborate on all of these things because they are pretty well known, but i wanna touch on some of them.
hyphen smashing: I absolutely love doing this, its a quick way to punish something hard without trying to pivot fsmash or crazy AT's like that, you dash over there after a laggy move, get them in the charge for a split second, then release and they're popped up ready to be das'd or whatever. Another good thing to do with it is to hit shields with it, it takes em down nicely and if they roll behind you then release and smack them in the face with the ancient dog walker of doom, and again they will usually get popped into the air a short ways, i like to punish this with a pkfire sometimes if they land. All in all hyphen smash is a pretty good way to use usmash, and remember to charge for a bit to get them in the perfect range for them to get it in their faces by the up swing part of it, although c-sticking this isn't a bad idea for a quick punish. Another way to put this into practice is reverse hyphen smashing, you can use this in a number of different ways, *cough mindgames cough* for punishing maybe a roll behind you or maybe someone landing behind you, or you can get some mindgaming in with it (it's so disorienting to see ness turn around and yoyo you from a dash :laugh: ) Oh yeah and don't forget to usmash OoS. (holy crap i just thought of something, can you reverse usmash OoS?? wait nevermind that would just basically be a drop shield turn around usmash... lame.)

punishing ledgedroppers:
space a hyphen smash to start charging right before you reach the ledge, your yoyo should fall down past the ledge and hit anything below it, this wont stop ledge sweet spotting but it will stop people from dropping>dj>whatever, eating up their dj causing them to upB to recover, i suggest possibly using this against Olimar, you can do a quick ledge hog and he's gimped and gone. Havn't tested that, but it should work. Unfortunately ledgedropping is far from olimar's best options, but still. This could also work on characters like zss or ivysaur, but it is a decent option for anyone if they start to get predictable with their ledge getups.

Now to more fun things,
Dsmash:
Ah the down smash, imo an underused trait that ness has access to. Some good options with this are quite obvious: punishing things behind you (rolls, people landing, etc.), dropping your shield and using this isn't a bad option for someone approaching from behind after using a projectile or whatever, or just using it as a quick attack behind you for whatever, Dsmash is a good move to use.
Not entirely sure how well this would work but in my head it seems really awesome, You pivot (i can't remember the term for this...) and then you dsmash right after it, so its like a hyphen smash except with a dsmash and therefore no upward arc over ness's head, just imagine ness running then turning around straight to a dsmash the direction he was originally running towards, hitting the opponent with the yoyo hit behind ness... not entirely sure how this could be used but its cool so who cares haha xD

YoYo Shielding:
Ness's yoyo can block many projectiles, anyways, you all know about this and i don't really feel like taking the time i just did with everything else, (plus it really isn't my specialty:ohwell:) im sure there's a list of all the things it can block somewhere, and if there isn't i think it would be a cool thing to have somewhere. This isn't all that great for energy things usually because of PSI mag, but if you need a quick block and punish for like a team battle or something you can either hyphensmash or standing usmash, or if its from behind you could just dsmash.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
First off the basics,
Usmash:
Now to more fun things,
Dsmash:
YoYo Shielding:
nice summary. however there is a reason as to why many ness players don't use the yoyos too much, especially the dsmash. the main reason is lag. There is too much lag during and after the moves which makes you very vulnerable.

Another reason is, unlike the fsmash that does plenty damage and can kill, the yoyos arn't really "worth" it. If you miss, you will almost guarantee get punished. It doesn't do a whole lot of damage, and it doesn't even have that much knock back. Something like a fsmash would be worth the risk of missing.

Another, there are usually better choices. I believe there is no true, or even not true (because of the lag) combo starting with yoyos. Other moves are a lot easier to chain and rack up damage with. Even things like an uncharged pk flash can chain with other moves because there is minimal lag if done correctly.

IMO, yoyos are more for slight 'mindgame' attacks. When I use my usmash, I hyphen smash AWAY from the opponent (facing the other way too). A lot of people will go after you on reaction because they think they can punish you since you're facing the wrong direction, and the yoyo will fling back and hit them. If they don't go after you, good you don't get punished.

I believe yoyos aren't spammable. You should only use them in situations where you will be left unlikely to be punished, or if you know for sure they will get hit.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Good job!!!

I'll post some stuff later concerning yo-yos and I'll copy over your guys' posts, but that is for later. Essay time right now though.

Imma post some stuff on FH aerials in about two days, but I would like to hear some stuff on that in the meantime.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hmm, I don't see many tips on SPACING. If it's alright I'd like to talk about it, and will edit this post later. I do want to make sure everyone's alright with that being added to the guide first.

_clinton

Smash Master
As far as spacing goes IMO the best tool to learn how to use right is PKT and learning just what another character can do, if you learn just how much ground a character can truly cover with their physical attack in a short amount of time (such as a short hop+ground range). Then just stay out of the range by just a little bit, you can get them to come to you with PKT.

Lets face it, Ness isn't beating a bunch of characters when it comes to reach still, but projectile wise, PKT can even the grounds on characters that just flat out beat Ness in physical range (Marth, DK, G&W, MK, and so on)

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Ah thanks, Yink. xD

I'll fix up my guide a little bit more to include Spacing for all moves.

I've been scrambling with trying to get everything filed away for college.

I'll do it now before I forget it again.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord

Uses (if it works)
-???

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Oh... aerials after PKjumping? I've done it a million times. xD

uair, bair (if perfect), fair, and nair all work if you do it from the height of a SH. Lower, and it depends on where you start (near the ground = maybe only nair and airdodge)

DTILT!!!!
Ah yes.... I love this move. If I wasn't so hindered by WiFi, I would show you all how amazing this move is. Here's what you can do with it:

dash up with shield to absorb an attack through perfect shielding, drop shield and do two dtilt hits immediately, then immediately nair, grab, fair, jab combo. THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME METHOD!! It works so well when I can get it to, but because WiFi hates me and lags like no other, I can never get off the perfect shield, let alone dropping the shield to do a dtilt (it always reads dsmash or spotdodge)

land behind an opponent with an airdodge, face them, then dtilt their shield until you hit them, then dtilt only twice, then followup immediately. This is like super shield pressure... if they decide to take down the shield, they are submitting to the attack. If they don't, they can't grab out of it, so they are pushed away until you poke their shield. they can only do an aerial OoS, which in most cases can still be hit by the dtilt. if they manage to get away from the dtilt holding them down and get an aerial going, you should have enugh time to see it and shield. dtilt's low amount of frames allows for awesomeness.

fair>dtilt twice> grab > whatever. Using a fair while going to the ground ensures little knockback, if you make it so you only hit with the first few hits. When you land, you should be close enough for at least one dtilt to hit, if not both. The grab is because most people will be like "oh, fair! if I shield, I win, because he will use an attack to followup" Well, even if they don't put up their shield, the dtilt should hit first, unless you are playing MK or snake or someone with an insanely fast move AND the player stays on the ground (if they are hit upwards slightly by the fair, there's nothing they can do unless they are MK, but even then it's fairly precise timing). Blah, like that.

Now you may be wondering this: "Why two dtilt hits? it seems so low of percent that it isn't worth the risk." Well, you CAN think that if you want. In fact, I wonder sometimes whether it actually helps in the long run as well. But disregarding the second sentence of that curiosity, I've got a reason for the two hits.
try this out: go into training mode and select a random character (Idunno, someone other than MK, because he's weird). dtilt them constantly until they trip, then keep dtilting like before. If you look closely, the dtilt just after the one that trips them DOESN'T hit, but the third one does. After seeing this, I was like OKAY, TWO IT IS! because if you manage to trip with the first hit, you don't lose the tripping animation given to the opponent and you can follow up. If you manage to not trip with the first hit, you can still trip with the second hit and follow that up with something. That happens much more often.
Now for the times that it DOESN'T trip, you have to have super reaction timing (which WiFi destroys for me). You have several options, and your opponent has a couple. You can do the following after the dtilts:
Nair (almost always hits)
Fair (hits most of the time, unless your opponent has a quick ground attack or shields)
Grab (they can spotdodge, but otherwise you win 90% of the time)
Ftilt (extremely rarely hits)
Jab Combo (hits very often, but the third hit may be even more susceptible to shielding)
Jab (prompts the opponent to shield VERY often, leaving you with the opportunity to either Nair or Grab... if they don't, you may be in trouble... many times, I get out of it without a scratch, but some times I get a snake ftilt to the face or something else like that)
Shield (basically destroys everything they can do EXCEPT grab... but if they tried grabbing while you were dtilting, you would have noticed and could adapt to spotdodge immediately instead)
Spotdodge (like above... I would do it, but I don't as often as I should)
Roll Back (Many times, your opponent has a lot of time to react)
Roll forward (behind opponent... Depends on the opponent and the reaction... very risky)
Usmash (very risky, because the opponent will often shield)
Fsmash (even worse than risky... you can charge for mindgames if you want)
Run away and PKfire (can work, but often doesn't)
FH to PKfire (VERY GOOD! must have perfect spacing on dtilt though, and FH PKfire must be moving backwards)

your opponent has these options after the dtilt not tripping him:
jab (often done after they've been conditioned; Ike beats us with jab... easily)
ftilt (SNAKE!!!)
utilt (SNAKE!!!)
Shield (works, but often leads them to being grabbed)
Spotdodge (if your dtilts are going while the spotdodge is up, you almost always get a free hit)
OoS grab (works a lot, but you can probably grab JUST before they do)
OoS Nair/Fair/(quickest aerial) (Sometimes works, but if you nair OoDtilt, they have no chance)

While the options of the opponent aren't severely limited, the ability of most people to react properly or differently (and perfectly) every single time is very low. You can go in thinking of a different approach every time and your opponent won't be able to decide what is the best to stop it... In fact, if they try and counter you too often with an attack, you can just dtilt spam and you get a TON of percent. It's the messing with your opponents mind that makes your time easier, which I enjoy doing.

now for a summing-up of points:
+++Dtilt is quick, can be led into by many attacks, and can be stopped quickly to switch to something else... this is a HUGE plus to it's usage
+++Tripping rate is high, and nearly doubled when dtilting twice in a row
+**Dtilt doesn't do much damage (but the things that you can potentially lead into do lots of damage in conjunction with it)
***Once the opponent knows what you are doing, you can get countered every time

The last point is huge. It weighs heavily on everything. If you use the same method every time, you WILL get punished. I often switch up between two hits, one hit, and dtilt spam, just in case my opponent has devised a method to stop me. I go with what works, then switch as soon as it does what it needs to do. This should be used only a little. I keep saying it is good, but only in small amounts and spread out throughout the match. You need to make sure your opponent isn't thinking about it before you think of using it. That is all....

Anybody else have something to say about dtilt? that's what I have, but I'm no expert in this.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Dtilt is freaking fast. Imo one of ness's best moves on the ground. Sadly I haven't been using it much but that's changing. when i played eagle i was like "holy crap dtilt is amazing!" i knew this for a while, i just always forget to do it.

Lol sidenote i like how the quote on defensive, everything above it is hidden except for :mad:
:awesome:

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I forgot to do other things with it... I'm being lazy.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
For the sake of this thread not dying, I'm posting in here to promote more activity! (woot...)

Let's talk about fair, which is imo one of ness's most important moves. It's a crazy good spacer, awesome for retreating, and can scare the living crap out of opponents if used right. It's great for using in combos when ground canceled and pretty good for ending them (although bair is usually a better option for that.) This is probably our most used aerial, especially for spacing purposes. It's great for putting up a wall of pain for yourself and then dj away to another one or towards them for a nice dair or bair to the face. This move can work wonders.

also this thread is cool, don't let it die again!
(side note, every time i see dj i almost read it as dajay)

edit: also don't let eagle's wall of text for dtilt be longer than fair's lol

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Yes... We should...

I'm trying to plan out my essay for this final I have tomorrow (if I get an A, that means I manage to bring my grade up to an A).

SH FF dair is good for anything... Baiting, roll/dodge punishing, moving forward to get in position for a Better move... Etc.

Lately though, I've been using lots of FH dair...it hits many people who SH often, and taller ppl are screwed by it. FH dair can be followed by a Nair on landing... Also, landing it on a platform is great; I personally love being on a platform above someone. I shield, they hit, I jump.... I wait, then I pounce. It's all about timing. Also, dropthrough platform>bair is just AWESOME!!! it has great range and quickness...

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
something about dair that you've gotta keep track of is the lag. If you do your dair at about fh level or lower, you'll land and won't really have any lag at all, so you can follow it up with a jab, sh/fh aerial, or whatever. you don't have to worry about getting punished for it. If you get the spacing right, this is a great mixup to throw into your combos.

Dair has a lot of priority, it dominates most uair jugglers if spaced right and is great to throw into after a dj or when you're getting back on stage from up high. Throw it in wherever.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Retreating dair is good. Gotta get with the SH FF dair, then bait opponents with the retreat, then punish with something like dash attack.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
SH FF dair is the same as what you said, but more efficient for ness (immediate cancel).

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
So off to more things: Followups

You might be asking what you can follow up with after you've knocked them down with dair. You can't grab, but you can:
-jab lock (if you're quick)
-nair them
a. on your way down
b. land then sh/fh nair them
-any other aerial
uair (im pretty sure, still need to test), fair, bair, and even another dair!
-land and yoyo, utilt, dtilt (lol eagle), pkf, and most of ness's moveset.
ill test this tonight or tomorrow and edit/make a new post.
-You cannot grab them, don't try.

you know, sometimes i feel like you and me are the only ones that do anything productive around here...

_clinton

Smash Master
If there is one thing I would avoid using Dair for it is for when foes have solid ground below them and you are up in the air, so I disagree with trying to beat out Uair users. When characters like Olimar and D3 have you in the air I wouldn't try beating their's because they can slap on 20% or so easily if you fail. And when characters like Wario or Tink have you in the air I'd stay away from their's as well because they can KO.

Really Dair isn't the best when it comes to preventing juggles on Ness, it really is a blind spot on him that at the least can almost be made up for with Nair, but it is still there.

Uffe

Smash Hero
SHFF > dair? Wouldn't that leave Ness open since the attack is laggy? Unless you can buffer out of it, that sounds like it'd put you in a bad position more than a good one. SHFF > fair > grab might be a more legitimate method against opponents. And why hasn't anybody ever talked about short hops and fast falls until recently? It's strange, because I started doing that when I recently fought my brother.

Top Bottom