• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness C-STICK tilt or smash

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
guys is better cstick on tilt or on smash"?

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I don't touch the c-stick. Maybe I should though.

I imagine that retreating Fairs would be easier with it on tilt.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I don't even use the C-stick for attacks anymore. The only real reason I used it for physical attacks was to do dair without fast falling, but since dair automatically cancels fast fall in Smash 4 (which is pretty nifty), I don't fear using dair with just the control stick and A button. Also because dair doesn't deserve to be used anymore...
Also, I can retreat fairs without the C-stick too.

What I DO use it for (and I'm not saying everyone should) is B-sticking PKF. It has its uses, mostly on the ledge. It's not a godlike strat though, it's just what I like to do.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I use the c-stick for the following reasons.

Up Air - I typically use the basic set up when I do an up air. However, if I'm falling downward and don't want to lose my second jump, I can use the c-stick for it instead. With Tap Jump on, I can do a reverse and regular Hyphen Smash.
Up Smash - In a non-moving position, I can just flip the c-stick upward to use this, though after using the 3DS, I've come to just use the regular set up with the analog and attack.
Forward Smash - Pivot Smash. It's helpful for spacing your forward smash, which is typical an attack that leaves you open.
Down Smash - Quick and simple.

Tilts are pretty standard and don't require as much effort as a smash attack does. Even then, a smash attack doesn't require much effort. But in comparison, I don't think you need to use the c-stick for something that comes out quicker with a basic controller set up.

Last edited:

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
I use the c-stick for the following reasons.

Up Air - I typically use the basic set up when I do an up air. However, if I'm falling downward and don't want to lose my second jump, I can use the c-stick for it instead. With Tap Jump on, I can do a reverse and regular Hyphen Smash.
Up Smash - In a non-moving position, I can just flip the c-stick upward to use this, though after using the 3DS, I've come to just use the regular set up with the analog and attack.
Forward Smash - Pivot Smash. It's helpful for spacing your forward smash, which is typical an attack that leaves you open.
Down Smash - Quick and simple.

Tilts are pretty standard and don't require as much effort as a smash attack does. Even then, a smash attack doesn't require much effort. But in comparison, I don't think you need to use the c-stick for something that comes out quicker with a basic controller set up.
So the final judge is that tolta are better?

Noa.

Smash Master
For Ness it's more useful to have smashes on a C stick compared to having tilts. I think most people would agree. Having fsmash set to c stick makes it easier to reflect stuff.

However what matters most of all is our aerials. All of our tilts and smashes are quite situational so they really shouldn't factor into what you set your c stick to. If you smash the c stick when you use aerials you will arrest your aerial momentum when you do the aerial. This is awful cause you can't do retreating aerials and it makes it harder to space aerials on shield. If you set the c stick to tilts then you can smash the c stick when you aerial all day and it won't affect your aerial momentum at all. When your c stick is set to smashes you have to flick the c stick when you use aerials to prevent it from halting your aerial momentum.

What matters most is our aerials. If you can consistently flick the c stick to do your aerials then you should set your c stick to smash since our smashes are more useful than our tilts. If you cannot flick the c stick consistently to perform aerials, set it to tilts. It's much more important to have complete control over your aerials than to worry about your smashes and tilts. I have my c stick set to tilts cause I do not consistently tilt the c stick when I do aerials.

Uffe

Smash Hero
So the final judge is that tolta are better?
Tilts are better as a basic control function, not a c-stick function. It's all about what you're comfortable with, so don't take my word for it. I just think c-stick for tilts is a waste since they're quicker than smashes, anyway, and you can still go a pivot smash with smash set to c-stick.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
It's also worth mentioning that if you want to utilize perfect pivot tilts, you would have to set your c-stick to tilt, but I don't think perfect pivoting it is that useful to do on Ness.

Here's a video of Ness's perfect pivot tilts (part of a guide on perfect pivoting).
http://youtu.be/zJ_ZzAvSFis?t=14m10s

Top Bottom