• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness and the DJC

xX1SHOt

Smash Rookie
When I do the DJC with ness just messing around I can do it very fast but when I hit someone in a shield very often I will end up doing a short hop in the middle of trying to break a shield. Does anyone know if the actual time you have to wait to do it again changes once you hit someone in a shield?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Wha?

That sounds like you need to work on your DJC consistency, as it isn't affected by things like whether you've hit a shield or not.

House

Smash Journeyman
Wha?

That sounds like you need to work on your DJC consistency, as it isn't affected by things like whether you've hit a shield or not.
Yea it does. There's hitlag whenever you hit others' shield/body. This happens with all attacks (not projectiles).

You should try to properly time your DJCs whenever you're trying to break a shield / combo someone. It just takes other timing than when you're practicing alone without hitting characters. This is one of the most common beginner issues when aiming on how to accurately apply this technique.

xX1SHOt

Smash Rookie
thanks that helps alot i though that for some reason i was not doing what i was seeing myself complete every time not on an enemy. Though i got nervous as the shield got closer but that makes sense.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Yeah timing of everything changes when you hit a shield or when you hit a player. This is most noticable in my opinion with shine jabs or mario's dair uair.

DMoogle

A$
Yeah timing of everything changes when you hit a shield or when you hit a player. This is most noticable in my opinion with shine jabs or mario's dair uair.
By far the most obvious examples are multi-hit attacks, such as Mario's down-b, Samus' up-b, and Pikachu's f-air.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
On the contrary, thinking about it helps you learn it faster. Hitlag is something that's sometimes so intuitive that you never actually realize it when you need to for very precise things like cancels or low percent combos. I found that knowing the timing was different improved my game.

Jakandsig

Smash Apprentice
When I do the DJC with ness just messing around I can do it very fast but when I hit someone in a shield very often I will end up doing a short hop in the middle of trying to break a shield. Does anyone know if the actual time you have to wait to do it again changes once you hit someone in a shield?
Ness isn't in 64...

DMoogle

A$
For Ness? I'm be surprised if there wasn't some combination that would allow you to finish with a dtilt.

IIRC there's one for Mario and/or Luigi in antd's shield breaking videos.

TANK64

Smash Lord
For Ness? I'm be surprised if there wasn't some combination that would allow you to finish with a dtilt.

IIRC there's one for Mario and/or Luigi in antd's shield breaking videos.
I know, I've been trying to get that second Luigi method down lol. I never think about it by the time someone shields my Luigi fair. The method is just so **** sexy, I have to do it. The fist method is practical, but not impressive. Needs Moar Flash!

Back on topic: I don't play Ness :ohwell:

firo

Smash Ace
All of Ness's aerial moves can be used to break shields in any combination. Using uair or nair rather than dair is often beneficial as it has better chances of hitting shields that are higher up. Shieldbreakers ending with down tilt are possible on smaller characters like pikachu (doing three or four dairs followed by down tilits works well) since the shields of larger characters do not go down that far and they would just be hit with the tilt unless they are directing their shield down.

DMoogle

A$
All of Ness's aerial moves can be used to break shields in any combination. Using uair or nair rather than dair is often beneficial as it has better chances of hitting shields that are higher up. Shieldbreakers ending with down tilt are possible on smaller characters like pikachu (doing three or four dairs followed by down tilits works well) since the shields of larger characters do not go down that far and they would just be hit with the tilt unless they are directing their shield down.
Oh wow, this might be why I have so much trouble breaking shields with Ness, I thought that I just sucked at the timing, but it could be that it's just not hitting the shield.

Also, can a shield really be broken with just b-air?

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
I haven't tried DJC Bair to break shields, but I've tried the other aerials. To me it looks like DJC Uair works the best, the other aerials seem to push the character back more.
Any Ness experts have a say in this?

firo

Smash Ace
I haven't tried DJC Bair to break shields, but I've tried the other aerials. To me it looks like DJC Uair works the best, the other aerials seem to push the character back more.
Any Ness experts have a say in this?
Using bair is difficult for shield breaking. In order to use just bairs it would probably have to be done against a wall since you would need to hit with the stronger part of the move. It could be possible with TAS skills though without one.

In terms of choosing what aerial to use, in my experience, it depends on the character and the way the shield is. Uair and dair are the easiest as they are quick and do not require any l-canceling. An easy way to shield break is to just hold up or down while DJCing and pressing A.
For short characters, I find dair to be more effective, and uair for taller characters. Nair is also good sometimes since it has a large shield-hitting range and is good when the shield is small. I find fair and bair to be not as effective, but can be used to start a shield break as they have longer horizontal ranges than the other moves. Usually I find doing a combination of a few moves works best depending on which way the shield goes.

There are many possible combinations for Ness shield breaks. Once the shield is low by doing some quick DJCs, any other quick move can break it. Even breaking shields ending with an utilt is possible if the shield is low enough.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
when I have broken it, usually its by DJC down air. The only time i usually break with up air is when i face a larger character (like Falcon or DK mostly)

Skrlx

Smash Champion
djc uair djc uair djc uair djc uair ftilt *SHIELD BREAK*

*shivers*

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Breaking a shield with PK Fire would be baller as ****. I'd be surprised it it were possible though.
im guessing you could aerial pk fire next to someone and if they shield, djc down air or something..it might work, not surer if there is too much lag from the pk fire.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I think he means ending the shield-break with PK Fire.

And now I think of it, if it can be done with PK Thunder, it can probably be done with PK Fire or D-Tilt.

Top Bottom