• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Negi's Video Thread (0-death 8/7)

Ryos4

Smash Lord

Yes i am aware that my id on here says ryos4 but its only because someone is using negi. lol.

I am pretty new to the whole Pokemon Trainer, and i just wanted some input on my style. Currently i only have mainly charizard just because its replays and if they get past charizard, chances are it will last to long for a replay, and im not the one doing the recording.

Anyway.
Charizard VS Meta Knight
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_709-b1KsPc
Charizard VS Boswer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YFPHzle6U2g
Charizard VS Marth
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PS0hVOnXicU
Charizard Vs. Bowser
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uWhDwwavgDg
Charizard&Squirtle Vs. Fox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ADaee_NFc
Charizard&Squirtle Vs. Ness (Death Grab lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqTeB0ktpLM (New)
Charizard Vs. Fox (Bair Spike, good stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coJYw5JZWNQ (New)

Any tips or comments? Also, atm i feel that charizard is my best, followed by ivy, with squirtle in last, far last. lol (that sure has changed. my ivy is nothing to my squirtle now.)

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
K here is my critique

At 1:04 on the last vid you glided in. This was a risky move in the first place because you glided in against Marth, from above. Marth has ridiculous damage concentration (ie. most of his moves can do top damage above of him) above him, which means you shouldn't try that. Though it worked, and you got over him, so i suppose it was alright. The problem here being that you barrel rolled a bit to soon. This caused you to be in landing lag, and get smashed pretty hard. If you barrel rolled right before you hit the ground, so your in the rolling animation right when you hit the ground, you receive ZERO lag. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, I applaud your grab game, as not enough people use Charizard's under-estimated grab range to their advantage. A note though, Charizard's up-throw is his most damaging one, and you never used it once. I understood on some of the situations, a back or forward throw was used to toss him off the stage, and you got to take a chance at edge-guarding. This was good strategy, but sometimes you should throw the up-throw in there for the damage, especially early on in the match, when they have low %.

Speaking of edge guarding, you were pretty good at it, but you should mix it up a bit more. I liked how you spaced yourself, and used flamethrower, thats a good strategy, but try just using a standing rock smash here and there. Use it when they haven't grabbed the ledge yet, but are about to. The shrapnel from the rock can be a nice little surprise fro them.

In general, you abused his f-smash a lot in the last match against Marth. This is bad for 2 reasons. 1. Your using the same move a lot, and with a move with that much duration, its not a good idea. 2. The distance your at to use that move effectively is Marth golden zone. He is faster than you, and your right where the tip lands. Also watch out for over using move in general, like flame thrower, against who you were facing, thats fine, but against an opponent thats maybe a bit quicker, and a bit better at the game, you would get punished.

All in all you were doing good, and i was often surprised how quickly your opponents damage got up. Just work on the things I talked about here, and obviously get better with the other two characters. You don't need me telling you that though.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Lol to tell you the truth, the marth replay was taken on either the first or second day of picking up PT. I think the bowser one was the last one i did which was maybe idk 4 days after.

As for the glide attack, im just so use to Pit. His glide attack makes him slide across the ground when used at low altitudes.

As for edge guarding, i more recently got the timing for spikes, and that also works with my side throws at the edges. Ive taken out 3 or 4 people with a b throw into a spike, deaths starting at 0% lol. Funny stuff.

One question, how the heck to you edge guard with ivy?

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
you got a couple options with ivy. use the b-air for its range, just remember that its weak, and only useful, like i said, for the range. A short hop off the edge to a d-air is nice, and a short-hopped razor leaf can be hard to avoid. Remember that the d-air spikes (right on the bulb, not in the pollen!) and do does the n-air, right around ivy's back feet. Neither spike if very powerful though. I'd stick with d-airs and razor leafs, and if the opponent gets wise, go ahead and toss a bullet seed in there, seeing as how they might try to go over you.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Im always so tempted to edge hog with ivy. lol. Sooo suicidal. lol. Lots of the time i just kill people over the top after landing 2 or 3 bullet seeds and killed with an Uair.

Ive tried spiking them, but it never seemed to kill them. So weak. lol. Not like edge guarding with ivy is really important. Building damage is really easy with him.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Great videos - Except the MK, he didn't use him too well. I second Utterkhaos' notion on the gliding, oh and I would LOVE to see Ivy videos, if you can upload them! :bee:

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I plan to try starting with ivy in friendlies just so i can get some footage with him. I could also just set up 3 min stock matches to make sure i get something.

Anyone else got some tips?

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Just in case anyone's curious, I've found from experience against a veteran Melee Marth who started to adjust well enough to Brawl that Charizard IS the one to have out for Marth. The grab game you were demonstrating early on is the kind of stuff that just absolutely infuriated my friend, since traditionally Marth has a great grab game that racks up damage early on, but Charizard's neck is long and awesome and outranges him. ^_^

One other comment on that match, f-air while above ground is still not usually a good idea, but you never used it for an approach, so that's good. It's great for your edge game, and good if you're high enough for a quick "get the hell away from me" in the air, but it's risky for anything else. I find that b-air for Zard is great for air-approaches/spacing, and that the killing power in the tail-flame doesn't diminish enough on mild abuse, so that's good...n-air works too, but sometimes the revolving hit box is hard to place and doesn't come out in time against faster opponents.

As far as the other matches go...that MK one unfortunately isn't worth commenting on because competitive MKs tear up Charizard for the most part. A Squirtle/Ivysaur reliance, with excellent Squirtle mindgaming and top-notch Ivy spacing will manage, using Ivy for f-air or f-smash kills if you're having a tough time getting in Squirt's d-throw or other applicable final hits.

The Bowser match was okay, though for all those d-tilts you were using up-close you'd think he'd have thrown out more d-smashes. You gotta be careful when close to Bowser; Charizard does a great job on him at mid-close range, close for early percent combos, but otherwise you're risking d-smash/u-tilt/d-throw punishment (d-throw sets up a LOT for Bowser). Overall, don't make the d-tilt predictable since it's so useful...especially for surprise kills with the bite part.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think it might have been button lag cause i think i only meant to use it twice each time, its really fast and probably beats any of bowsers moves on the ground just by speed. But i didnt really mean to do it over and overlike that. lol.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Not true. That close in, Bowser's up+B out of shield DEFINITELY beats it. Pro Bowser's will use that whenever they're in trouble from faster attacks that are pressuring them in close, if d-smash isn't quick enough to do the job.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Lol, I was watching more of your vids, and It seems like you do better with Charizard than Pit, or maybe you were just playing better players.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Oh that isnt my Youtube. lol. A friend uploaded them for me. And its just harder to kill so fast with pit. The mario was against my friend who is really good and it was the first time i fought her mario. I didnt expect the gimps. lol. My pit is generally overall better with advance techs and what not, but charizard is probably my best when it comes out to pure pwnage and quick kills. He does get owned though where pit would win.

The only reason i can play charizard at all is because i play him alot like i would play pit. If he was fat and heavy and did like 50% kills. lol.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
LOL i just pictured in my head the fat pit :p, your charizard is very good, and you use very well the grbas, just try to jab whille grabbing more and maybe somo more ftilts, but thats all i have to say, also, try squirtle and ivy, they are both as fun as charizard and you wont have to just to stick to a playstile, thats the wonderthing about PT, and you know, you GOTTA catch'em all, lol

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I did a few matches with squirtle and ivy starters against a DK but i have to get them recorded still. Hopefully someone can upload them for me.

Edit:I think my squirtle is getting better. Ive started to pick up some combos found some useful strats that actually work for me. I 2 stocked a fox and only got 22% damage on squirtle, charizard was only able to do 38% damage to foxes second life before he died. (I got a replay) And i didnt have to use his Dthrow to kill. lol.

Now my ivy is in last place, i need to figure out how to uses ivy better. I really wish it helped watching, pt matches. But every pokemon master has to find his own way. lol.

Another note, spiking with charizard is getting alot easier. Nailed a sonic on his way up from a spring jump down to his doom.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
K i posted a new charizard vid. My original recorders camera is being fixed atm. And i didnt want multiples of the same video floating around youtube, so i sent one of my other friends a new one replay. Hopefully i can get those squirtle and ivy matches up soon. But i have to admit, i really suck as ivysaur.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uWhDwwavgDg
Charizard vs bowser
Its spiketacular!

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I CG to Spike characters that don't suck. =D

Less rolling, less dash attack, less Fair. Moar Bair, Jabs, Rock Smash.
Umm okay good for u? lol. I dont need to chain grab to set up spikes. Just one fthrow or fthrow to a spike works just fine. And i dont dash attack too much. never more then 2 or 3 a match. Just because its not the most useful move doesnt mean you shouldnt use it. i like to make use of every move.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Bthrow to regrab works on most characters. You can do it to some twice. Maybe even 3 if they don't DI or DI wrong. Then Fthrow and play the prediction game to get the kill. If they've been victimized by CG to spike once, mess with their head and CG to Uthrow. xD

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
About the vs ness video..... you fight pretty well as zard, but its just hard for me to see a PT fellow using that grab-release thing (i just hate it) when squirtke is also vulnerable, is kinda ironic. Anyway, you just did it once and you could have win easily without it,so i still enjoyed your video, i think that in the part when charizard does like 2 dash attacks one after another you were trying to ftilt, but im not sure, and to end, your video showed me th usefullness of squirtles dair to edgeguard, its cool,ill try to learn it, and one more attack on the hand to kill is always welcome, specially if you are squirtle.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
lol yeah i only did that death grab cause i thought it would be funny. It wasnt a serious match or anything. He kept playing ness against me so meh i chose pt did it once and made him paranoid for the rest of the match. lol. If it was a serious match i wouldnt have pulled one of those. Yeah as for the dash attack, i like to use it sometimes since it has a similar pop to pits (my main) dash attack, and its a good way to set up combos if he goes high enough or low enough.

0:25-0:28 on the Charizard VS Metaknight video was pure uber lmao.
yeah kinda funny. Though i dont really play like that anymore. Ive almost stop using smashes for Charizard and Squirtle all together, it may be harder to kill but its more interesting to play and watch when u limit urself. lol.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Way back when you asked how to edgeguard with Ivy, 2 great options got passed over. Spamming Ivy's jab at the edge is really annoying, as is crouching and timing the dtilt when they try to grab the edge. Plus, if they get to the edge safely, spacing yourself just far enough away and spamming Bullet Seed can get you an extra 30+% because with proper spacing, when they get up they will be dead center in the stream.
Great Zard, too. You're really good at the spike, so keep playing to that.

Top Bottom