• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Tips for Spamming Lucario

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Since Brawl I've always had problems with spamming Lucarios but could handle them spacing with Zero Suit Samus. Yet in this game I find it a lot harder to take on one since Lucario is much better with his counter, has great recovery and specially his aura attacks. I know a few town folks who play Smash as well yet I think they have a good reputation of few losses because of their constant spamming. I've been meeting with them often (nice guys by the way) to have some matches, but I simply aren't having the results I was expecting.

With Link I can take easy care of things. Arrows cancel or at least gives me time to prevent the aura spheres, Lucario's rolls can easily be pushed away with Up Special. And bombs, boomerang as well as arrows gives Lucario a small chance to charge his aura sphere as well as to block a fully charged one. So things are going great with Link.

But with Samus and Zero Suit Samus I can't find a way to break in. Missiles can't travel far and are slow giving Lucario a chance to charge up. Super Missiles have lag, also giving him time to charge or shield and if close, you punish. A fully chaged Power Beam works well at the beginning, but Lucario after some hits charges up the aura sphere pretty fast while Samus needs time. I give direct combat a try but Lucario can hit from a distance, missing attacks with Samus has severe punishes. The match always ends up with me chasing him around and after I miss a hit, he'll just go for a grab. I tried d smash but Lucario rolls quite far, avoiding the hit and going for a grab. The rolls are the main problem. Can't catch up to him, while samus's roll are horrible. zair doesn't seem to work that well either since it won't do anything against an Aura Sphere and my landing lag always gets punished. Zero Suit Samus has similar problems. He keeps rolling away from me, yet I can't seem to catch him with d smash. I try f special in the air or on land, but he can space away so easily and punish me with aura spheres. I just can't find a way to break this simple strategy.

Sometimes I counter Lucario spam with Samus spam, but I'd like to find a better solution. Like I said, Link doesn't have a problem with this. Zero Suit Samus can match up wit him if I give it all I have, but I find it annoying having to use advanced moves or perfect cancels for such a simple strategy. But no matter how much i try with Samus, Lucario will always be one step ahead. Any good tips for this?

The players are good by the way. They have some good strategies and some intelligent tricks, just the spamming is what I'm having problems with.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
When Lucario reaches 44%, fresh fully charged Aura Sphere beats fully charged Paralyzer.

I believe Samus and Zero Suit Samus are in Lucario's favor. Uhhhh I suppose you can punish Lucario's landings with ZSS' Dash attack?

You could try knocking us offstage? Our Up B landing lag was increased in the most recent patch. Although you shouldn't catch too many good Lucarios with that... You could at least limit our options to getting back on stage.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Use the tether grab. Lucario's like to hang in the space thether grabs are effective.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
ZSS' Dash grab is pretty good, not sure what you can follow up with though on Lucario.

ZSS' Down B is alright if the Lucario is predictable. It seems like a very uphill battle for ZSS once Lucario hits 50-60%.

I wouldn't bother using regular Samus against Lucario unless if you're really good at hitting Lucario with fully charged Charge Shots.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
With ZSS, she should abuse her fast walk speed against a campy Lucario. If you powershield anything Lucario does, it's pretty much a free punish.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Okay, so far this is what I've managed thanks to some of your tips (kinda expected more, but oh well). Grabs are a great option. Lucario's landing lag always gives me a free grab. Yet after a while he began predicting this and shooting aura spheres before landing, shielding himself with that sphere. Yet after it became predictable, a Down B got the job done since it dodges the aura sphere and lands a hit. If the damage is high, it can bury him down for the final blow or a grab for extra damage (always go for the blow if you think you can finish him off, Lucario becomes insanely powerful after he has enough damage). His recovery can be countered with Down B and with the meteor effect makes an instant kill off stage. So his recovery stopped being a problem with ZSS and gives me a lot of advantage to stop him from charging up some power and restating his aura strength.

Yet the problem is still Samus. No matter what new strategy I come up with, he's simply too strong. The best discovery I found was using her Dair to meteor his Up B, but good luck getting the chance to take him of stage for using it, without mentioning that Samus's Dair requires almost a perfect timing and isn't as good as it was in brawl. So if I get to hit Lucario with her charged shot, I just go for the meteor. Maybe timing Super missiles and Charged Shots to keep pushing him to a OK will work, but only if he keep himself over the stage height. And with his amazing recovery, he doesn't need to.

Top Bottom