• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Some Knowledge!

Ministry

Smash Ace
Hey, need some help with zelda.

Im Playing zelda for the ice climbers matchup.

I dont know much if anything about it, but i do want to play it.

Obviously space fairs/bairs is good on IC sheild since it just eats it up.

Iv also started to wd/move back and fsmash if i think there going to wavedash in and ftilt/dsmash me.

I need alot of help on this matchup anything that u guys know/use would be helpfull.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
fair, bair, dsmash, fsmash.

those are your moves.

you can like, on reaction dsmash their wavedash. its amazing. fsmash is good but don't overdo it.

you can do a low kick then do a dsmash afterwards to like stop them from coming in if you think they are going to. this is like a defensive mixup cause you dont have to dsmash but you could do other stuff.

when you separate them kick nana once and she's done, son.

from there, 'gay out' popo slowly.

D

Deleted member

fsmash makes this match playable. dsmash is just **** bait for a large range of % since they can cover ground so quickly, and kicks are also easy for ICs to follow either via block rising kick > WD in or WD into block just as zelda is coming down. lesser IC players will just fold to simple things like kick > dsmash but the better ones will WD around in and out of block such that you'll REALLY wish those moves shield stabbed like fsmash did, especially the IC players that heavy shield w/ popo and light shield w/ nana at the same time so you think you're good when they slide away in shield and you're not.

if you can help it, pick bair over fair. facing towards the ICs just makes following her kick that much easier, since zelda's FF is limited the ICs can intuitively time the WD into block MUCH easier. often zelda's only choices when about to land are kick or an air dodge and both are a losing situation against a character where every shieldgrab is going to hurt. at least if you're facing backwards, bair can make abusing your land a good bit harder. bair is also easier to hit lower when landing and gives you a better chance to shield stab. also try landing bair to roll dodge instead of downsmash. dsmash is also fairly punishable and a buffer roll is a good way to keep them off until you reset to a neutral position.

recovery in this match is gay since it's pretty much edge hog > get up > wobbled to KO. this is nothing new to ice climbers...but try to stay on the stage I guess. if they can't side B over you, CHARGE DOWNSMASH. it works for CF too and it's super easy + guaranteed to KO if you keep doing it. only go for a kick if they go higher than that.

a single IC is a joke. just block everything and kick OOS. It's pretty bad.

always ban FD and platform camp like a *****. CP to DL64 IMO.

Ministry

Smash Ace
thanks alot, is it a bad matchup vs puff with zelda? i was thinking of doing that if things got bad.

Any good tips of fighting Peach players?
Zelda can't do anything vs her fair

If she dsmashes you, you might be sent in a perfect tragectory for you to toe her before you land

Hope she tries to spam turnips vs you (mindlessly) and Nayru's Love them back at her

Zone

Smash Champion
Zant lol, you can't hope they play bad. If the peach is any good and know the matchup it can be a bit hard . They'll always run away and try to pull a turnip, which she can use on you an she can throw it to pressure/damage, have it in hand to bait shield, or bait your nayrus if you use it. An punish you. She can even throw it at a good distance in which she hopes you want to catch it and so she can punish you. You're gonna want to practice with a peach player so you can know when it's safe to catch one, block one(powershielding if you can), dodge, hit through it with an attack. Once you can deal with that, you'll need to be careful, peach has really good out of shield options, so try to avoid approaching kicks unless she's in the air, or you think you can shield poke.

Of they understand your grab sucks they'll shield more often which is when you'll want to use Nair into something depending on you position.

If they don't know what to do, you'll have a easier time landing kicks, until you condition them to shield more. Most peaches that don't know the matchup will approach you. One who knows it will turtle like no tomorrow. If they are patient enough

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
After playing some peaches it just made me realize how difficult it is. I feel like it doesn't make a difference whether the Peach is offensive or defensive because she can cover so many options. It's the float canceling that just makes her so hard. She'll FC a fair and then from there she can Dsmash or grab me, and Zelda can't punish her because she's so slow. I don't want to switch to Sheik, though. I want to really learn this match up.

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
I kinda disagree. The turnips aren't what makes this match up frustrating. It's the fact that Peach just has better mix ups that makes it difficult for me. FC is so annoying.

Zone

Smash Champion
No you're wrong peach cannot touch your shield that safely. Peach cannot approach safely if your playing Zelda right. Which is why she tries to force an approach from you with turnips. Peaches run is just as slow as yours so she can't just run In and grab and you should be mostly in the air anyways.

If downsmash is ****** you learn to light shield or If your shield is pretty full you can just aim it down to cover your feet.

You Outrange peach, you're not spacing well enough if she is getting in on you that close, to be able to grab you out of aerials.

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I guess her looming over me with her float just kinda intimidates me.(Which is probably what the player wants) I'll try to space myself away from her more. I think I play a bit more aggressive than a Zelda should be playing and always just kinda go at her with kicks.

Zone

Smash Champion
I could critique alot better if you posted some videos. talking about general strategy helps only very slightly.

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
It's hard for me to find videos of the match up that really illustrates the situation. I just want to know how to deal with aggressive Peaches is more of what I mean, I guess.

Zone

Smash Champion
Meh it's really knowing the options and then having experience in them. I'll write out a long drawn out post of my views in zelda vs peach, when I get home

OverLord

Smash Ace
If Peach is aggressive you shouldn't have problems :O

If she starts to pull off turnips and be careful, it's a pain in the ***.
But if she D-Smashes you, just shield-angle down and Bair out of shield, everytime you shield a D-Smash it's a free B-air.

Zone

Smash Champion
Lol I already said all that, but thanks for having the same view point ? Haha, sorry I haven't gotten to that long post yet I'm working hectic hours and literally been doing sleep work sleep schedule

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
my friend!!! when she float cancel its exactly when u have to LK!!! in tha face!!!
look when she start her float u can kick her!!! its simple phisics, the player have to hold down and jump, so peach start floating, in that moment, he cant fair cuz he have his fingers on the jump button!!!, and also float cancel startup xDDD, when she is alredy floating, sometimes you can surprise her with LK, it works almost all tha time, but if u want to mindgames, when she aproach roll to upsmash.

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
also, when she have a turnip, and u jump nayru in her face, she eats her turnip and nayrus xDDD, but the thing gets complicated when tha peach start camping, and trowing the nips up and down, making me look like an idiot, but when u force the peach to start thinking, then its just rock papper scisors.
even match to me.

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
So, I took the advice you guys gave me about fighting Peach and applied it in a tournament and I had good results. :) I also had a good sheik in my state give me advice in fighting her. It's a really hard match up. I think my biggest challenge right now is defensive Foxes. They will dash dance and wait for me to make a mistake and then up throw up air me or down air, shine, up smash me. Is there a good strategy to counter this? I think it's my fault for taking the bait and getting too eager out of nervousness.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
So I was reading through some of the posts, and starting wondering about Zelda/Samus. I play against a Samus main regularly, and I seem to play well enough against him (or, rather, he probably doesn't think Zelda is worth knowing how to counter, I'm not sure).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuQZZ4e5wc

My biggest problem against Samus is that nair of hers, but I probably shouldn't be in the air for that. Any tips on this matchup? I feel like it could be even, but Samus can bait Nayru's love with short hop missiles and follow up with a nair or something. Missiles in general seem to pose a problem, but again, I don't know that much about it.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look back at it, there are times when Samus is only shooting missiles. At those times, I should probably powershield/Nayru's love, since she isn't going to do anything.

D

Deleted member

you should tell him first off that samus is about as good in tournament as zelda is (not good at all) :)

zelda vs samus itself is pretty even. she can spam things and slow you down and you can kick her sometimes. it's pretty straightforward.

Top Bottom